You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Stephen King Book

Sugar Ape

Best Stephen King Book  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Best Stephen King Book

• Carrie
    • Salem's Lot
    • The Shining
    • The Stand
    • The Dead Zone
    • Firestarter
    • Cujo
    • The Running Man
    • The Dark Tower Series
    • Christine
    • Pet Sematary
    • The Talisman
    • Thinner
    • It
    • Misery
    • The Tommyknockers
    • The Dark Half
    • Needful Things
    • Gerald's Game
    • Dolores Claiborne
    • Dreamcatcher
    • The Green Mile
    • Duma Key
    • Under The Dome
    • Other - Please State

I'm going to be pretty much the same, most King books I read 10+ years ago, so it'll be good reading them again. I have only got about 7 King books on my shelves which has surprised me, though I haven't read at least half of his books at all.

I've just ordered this off eBay, seems a really good price, £39.99 with free postage.

$(KGrHqJHJEsFEOeb)qWcBRJNvk7(fw~~60_12.JPG

44 Books Collection

TITLES:

The Green Mile

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Thinner

Salem's Lot

Skeleton Crew

Pet Semetary

The Regulators

The Eyes of the Dragon

The Shining

Rose Madder

Hearts in Atalantis

From a Buick 8

The Stand

The Tommyknockers

The Talisman (with Peter Straub)

The Mist

The Dark Half

The Dead Zone

Lisey's Story

Dreamcatcher

Danse Macabre

Dolores Claiborne

Bag of Bones

Black House (with Peter Straub)

It

Christine

Cujo

Just After Sunset

Under the Dome

Duma Key

Different Seasons

Blaze

Carrie

Misery

Desperation

Insomnia

Everything's Eventual

Firestarter

Gerald's Game

Cell

Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Needful Things

Full Dark, No Stars - HARDBACK 2010 1st Edition

The Stephen King Companion edited by George Beahm

Awesome. Don't envy your postie.

If you're going to get the Bachman Books make sure you get an older copy as Rage isn't being published anymore (King asked for it to be pulled after copies were found to have supposedly influenced a couple of high school murderers).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been reading other things the last couple of weeks but I'm going to start The Shining tomorrow or the day after. So far anyway:

Carrie.

I'm not a big fan of the style of the book, but it's a cracking story and quite a small book so easy to plough through it. 7/10.

Salem's Lot.

My favourite King book. At least out of the ones I've read, I must have read this 5/6 times now, first time when I was about 12 and it royally shit me up.

I love the pace of the book, first half lulls you in with just a few creepy tidbits about the Marsten house and the strangers who have arrived in town and then half way through - Bam! The shit hits the fan.

Some great horror moments in this book - Matt Burke sitting in his home terrified as he can hear ' something ' being invited into his house, the Glick burial scene and just about any bit where we get to follow someone inside the Marsten house. 10/10.

I'm halfway through The Talisman at the moment. Been finding it a bit hardgoing to be honest (Jack's just escaped from Oatley and hit the market in the Territories), so am having a rest from King for a bit - have read 3 Hard Case Crime books over the past couple of weeks instead. Am planning to go back to the King/Straub book when I finish Money Shot.

My favourites would be Salems Lots, The Dead Zone, Different Seasons, The Shining and The Stand. I know a lot of people find it boring, but I loved 112263 as well, a bit slow at times but a great read.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

BOOT

Been watching Under The Dome and it just reinforced what a total and utter load of shite most King adaptations have turned out to be...with the obvious exceptions of course.

My favourite King novel is The Stand. Great book (underwhelming ending imo), but the 4 part film is another steaming pile of dog shit.

Which brings me to my point : I would love a new feature length version of The Stand. Keep King fucking miles away from it; get a fucking shit hot director in for it (Danny Boyle, David Lynch, Pascal Laugier), and some great unknown acting talent, scare the living shit out of the audience and make a film that does the book justice.

Randall Flagg is not a fat hillbilly wanker.

BOOT

Been watching Under The Dome and it just reinforced what a total and utter load of shite most King adaptations have turned out to be...with the obvious exceptions of course.

My favourite King novel is The Stand. Great book (underwhelming ending imo), but the 4 part film is another steaming pile of dog shit.

Which brings me to my point : I would love a new feature length version of The Stand. Keep King fucking miles away from it; get a fucking shit hot director in for it (Danny Boyle, David Lynch, Pascal Laugier), and some great unknown acting talent, scare the living shit out of the audience and make a film that does the book justice.

Randall Flagg is not a fat hillbilly wanker.

The TV series of the Stand was utter shite, Molly Ringwald ffs, there is talks about a proper movie with Ben Affleck directing, but not confirmed yet.

‘The Stand’: Ben Affleck on the Difficulties of Adapting Stephen King’s Book