You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Talking to a big Liverpool fan last night who was at every European cup final up to and including Heysel. Understandably he hasn't been to a game since. I was asking him what he thinks of the players we've been linked with and he said he really likes Charlie Adam because he reminds him of Souness.

I was too young to remember Souness playing for Liverpool but from what I've seen he was a marauding midfielder kind of like Gerrard where as Adam seems to be happier spread the play with his good passing ability. He was also saying it's because Adam likes a tackle as well.

Maybe I haven't seen enough of Adam or I've the wrong idea about Souness but I can't see the similarity.

That Liverpool fan who went to all the European Cup finals needs to have a sit down then. They are both Scottish. They both play in midfield. There the comparison ends.

I had the joy of Watching Souness during his hey day and I can see Adam filling a similar role, but references are hard as the game has changed and although Souness was brilliant it was in his era, not today. Adam has a better engine but the acid test will be can he look as good at LFC as Blackpool???? PS I think we will be OK this season other teams have issues.

Sweet Mother of Mary and all that’s good and holy. That sentence right there is the most wrong ever written on a football forum anywhere by anyone that has ever lived or ever will live. You sir, are so wrong that you have invented a whole new level of wrong that had, as of a matter of minutes ago, remained undiscovered, but now proudly stands awakened from its uber-wrong slumber.

I had the joy of Watching Souness during his hey day and I can see Adam filling a similar role, but references are hard as the game has changed and although Souness was brilliant it was in his era, not today. Adam has a better engine but the acid test will be can he look as good at LFC as Blackpool???? PS I think we will be OK this season other teams have issues.

Having seen rasher being debated again and then reading this shite it obviously calls for;

:wallbutt:

Surely Kenny and Comolli arent that stupid to prioritise another central midfielder over a second winger and left back. I don't see how funds can be tight, I really can't. To spend potentially 25m to 30m on two central midfielders and buy mediocre or no left back and wingers will be disgraceful and frankly in line with how the club has been run for the last 7 to 10 years

Guest Numero Veinticinco
yeah proper fat cunt isnt he?

Same is true of Rooney and Lampard, to be fair.

He does have a weird blue, fluffy cock though.

exactly what im getting at.

I have a good laugh at the tits calling those players fat when they, themselves probably look like....

comic-book-guy-7.gif

Well, yeah, but it's a bit like me saying I think Lucas is shite, when he's obviously a much better footballer than me.

There's different standards at work isn't there?

PS I'm not fat. Even by non-football standards.

I'll be fairly happy if/when Adam arrives - looks like a decent piece of business for the club and I think hes a player who can do a job for us.

But to compare him to Souness in his pomp? Naaah don't think so, Souness was scarily awesome.

Souness was the best around at that time,if he played today he would be banned for at least three quarters of the season.

Infact I would go even as far as saying he banned from the game.

Well, yeah, but it's a bit like me saying I think Lucas is shite, when he's obviously a much better footballer than me.

There's different standards at work isn't there?

PS I'm not fat. Even by non-football standards.

Shut it, fatty.

If we're making spurious comparisons, then can I throw Steve McMahon in?

Decent range of passing, weighs in with his fair share of goals and Steve himself would've been happy with that 'tackle' on Bale when Blackpool where away at Spurs. If we actually sign him and if he turns into half the player McMahon was then I think we'd all be happy.

Souness and Molby though? No fucking chance.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Adam has hired Brian Rose (English light middleweight champion boxer) as his personal trainer all summer. Sounds like he's trying to get himself in shape for his big move.

You see, that sort of thing goes a long way with me. I'm not saying that trying hard is enough, but he's obviously giving himself the best shot at succeeding. That says a lot about his temperament and his drive to succeed.

Same is true of Andy Carroll for coming back to training early.

I think you're right about Adam having a slightly better engine. Mind you, Souness is 58 and has had a triple heart bypass.

• Upvote 1

If we're making spurious comparisons, then can I throw Steve McMahon in?

Decent range of passing, weighs in with his fair share of goals and Steve himself would've been happy with that 'tackle' on Bale when Blackpool where away at Spurs. If we actually sign him and if he turns into half the player McMahon was then I think we'd all be happy.

Souness and Molby though? No fucking chance.

You say that like Jan Molby was in a different, higher league to McMahon.

Which he wasn't. McMahon was one of the best midfielders we've ever had, and better than Molby.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
NN: Andy was told to report early along with our other players who were injured at the end of last season.

Oh, is that right? Thanks for the info.

Well, I disagree.

Steve McMahon is exactly what our midfield needs now.

A truly brilliant midfielder who could run, tackle, pass and score.

I'd take him over Molby every day of the week.

I agree we need a player like that. But we've got Gerrard, who is better at all of those things. Whether he gets deployed in there is another question.

Molby was a sublime player. A better passer than Alonso who scored goals and could beat people with skill despite having the pace and manoeuvrability of a reluctant glacier. Fatter than Adam, even if Adam had Steve McMahon stuffed down the front of his shirt, but better than both of them.

I never had McMahon down as brilliant. He was a poor man's Souness.