You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I am not that happy, I don't rate him, and don't see him as being worth more than 5 or 6 million tops!

But, I would have said Konchesky, Cole, Paulson, Maxi, Jovonovic and N'Gog can all go for free if it gets them off the wage bill.

So, 8 million plus Konchesky may be 12 million on paper but it is worth it, same goes for Downing 15 million plus N'Gog may be 20 on paper, but worth it! In my opinion that is.

I hope Adam proves us both very wrong.

Meireles is surely on his way out now.

Here we go with the arbitrary 'he's worth this amount' argument.

Whelan, you say £5m-£6m what are you basing this on? Do you believe yourself to be some sort of expert in footballer valuations? On what grounds do you value him at £53-£6m and not at £9m? Its arbitrary bullshit.

He hasn't signed yet, so before he does, i will voice my concern. I think he is overweight and slow, with his passing being massively overated. He takes a good set piece, but i fully expect him to flop and not be on the pitch to take them.

However, that said, i hope he turns out to be a great player and become an integral part in our pass and move philosophy.

He's not overweight or slow, he's no molby in the passing stakes and while he dos try a few "hollywood passes" that don't come off he is by and large very consistent. He's a player made for Kenny and pass and move. Very optimistic.

He's not overweight or slow, he's no molby in the passing stakes and while he dos try a few "hollywood passes" that don't come off he is by and large very consistent. He's a player made for Kenny and pass and move. Very optimistic.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one then.

i think he's a decent signing that will offer something to the team. I don't think he's a GREAT player but he could turn out to be pretty good. Good at set pieces, has a good range of passing(even though its inconsistent) and has a good shot on him. If he can improve his work rate and tracks back when he loses the ball he will turn out to be well worth the money.

So. He gets stuck in, gets up and down the pitch far more than our other midfielders (apart perhaps from Gerrard), good at set pieces, great range of passing, good shot. I fail to see where the problem is here. I know they're not identical, but for me, he's a better player than Lucas or Spearing. We need to find someone to compliment him, enough movement forward for him to exploit, and we'll be away.

Whelan, you say £5m-£6m what are you basing this on? Do you believe yourself to be some sort of expert in footballer valuations? On what grounds do you value him at £53-£6m and not at £9m? Its arbitrary bullshit.

It's not an exact science by any means but there is no problem with putting forward opinions as to a player's worth. Except to you, who appears quite angry at Whelan's cheek!

Transfer fees to me are only justified retrospectively. Whether we pay £5m or £15m for Adam, it doesn't really matter. What matters is I think we have more pressing concerns than buying another central midfielder and the Adam money could have put towards another player.

Oh do fuck off you tedious git!

'In my opinion' pretty fucking clear I am offering an opinion on what I think he is worth, or am I not allowed one now!

If you managed to infer that I felt my opinion was final and not open to debate from that post then that is your problem, I don't think he is worth more than six, and funny thing is lid, 6 months ago Kenny and Damien agreed with me!

I hate this utter bullshit out of some fans. the reason he is getting stick is because he is British and played for the un-glamorous Blackpool really. If he played for Spuds last season and had the season he had Chelsea and City would be offering 20million for him. 9 million i think is about right and his still only 25 years of age. If he turns out to be the player he is suppose to be and really adds another dimension to our team we will have sorted out a problem we have had since Alonso left and he will fill that void for at least 6 years. With suarez's movement and his passing abilty and Carrolls aerial threat and his delivery it kind of seems a low risk gamble that has the ingredinits to work. Granted if he does flop I'm sure at minimum we would recoup 4-6million next summer anyway so were taking a gamble at 3million for a potential creative player that in 2 yers we could be saying his as good as Alonso <<<< Well maybe not Alonso :) But good anyway so thats why i can't understand the negativity

9m? Fucking ridiculous amount.

dont be dumb

he was blackpools stand out player +captain and after the way the press spunked over him did you think he'd go for 6 million?

once clubs like lverpool, villa and spurs get interested it pushes the price up.

he is a fantastic player and he will be brilliant for us. this was our most crucial signing this summer. if people think lucas, spearing and raul were enough for next season they are mental.

we know have a mixture of tacklers, passers, youth, hardworkers in the middle.....with henderson we have legs, youth, passing and a player we can mould.

with adam, we have a player who can pass long or short. can pass forwards. take good set pieces and has a huge desire to make it. he knows its his last chance and under kenny e will thrive. by the time he is 27 he will be awesome.

gerrards replacement dare i say it.

fcuking loving this signing, great news. bargain at 9 million with shelvey getting expereince if true.

It's not an exact science by any means but there is no problem with putting forward opinions as to a player's worth. Except to you, who appears quite angry at Whelan's cheek!

Transfer fees to me are only justified retrospectively. Whether we pay £5m or £15m for Adam, it doesn't really matter. What matters is I think we have more pressing concerns than buying another central midfielder and the Adam money could have put towards another player.

you think lucas, spearing and raul are enough for a whole season?

:whatever:

Guest Numero Veinticinco
you think lucas, spearing and raul are enough for a whole season?

:whatever:

To be fair, you've left out Henderson and Gerrard, and even Aquilani. I expect some to go, of course.

To be fair, you've left out Henderson and Gerrard, and even Aquilani. I expect some to go, of course.

yea sorry, i just think stevie is a liability in the middle, i really understand why rafa didnt play him there. he wants to go forward too much. when he does he leave big gaps in the middle.

if the ball doesnt stick up top, we have huge gaps in behind. id love to see him on the right again, he can pretty much do what he wants there, or maybe even behind saurez would be good. but does he have the discipline to play centre mid?

goals are a big part of his game and he seems to score less when playing in the middle.

ive heard henderson plays more on the right, and looked average in the middle for england (although i know that cus of the tactics) so i think kenny will use him in both positions.

i really dont think they wanted aquilani back but if he's here i see him as cover for gerrard behind a striker or used as a sub when we need more creativity.

its all about options, and in home games henderson and adam give us alot more than lucas, spearing or raul.

Cost too much and you've not even seen him kick a ball for us?

Get a grip. He's a red now, and I'm looking forward to seeing him play. Kenny is obviously dead keen on him so I'm going to allow myself to be pleased we've got him, even though he wouldn't have been my first choice.

Oh do fuck off you tedious git!

'In my opinion' pretty fucking clear I am offering an opinion on what I think he is worth, or am I not allowed one now!

If you managed to infer that I felt my opinion was final and not open to debate from that post then that is your problem, I don't think he is worth more than six, and funny thing is lid, 6 months ago Kenny and Damien agreed with me!

I completely agree that Football transfers can only be viewed successful in retrospect but similarly deciding on perceived valuation when you do not have sufficient facts at your disposal is nonsense in the extreme, particularly when suggesting that you would not sign a player because they are not worth more than X and certainly not worth X+3.

Kenny has wanted Adam. Kenny has got Adam. This makes me happy, however Personal insults do not make me happy.