You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

your best festival?

chauncey

For those of us who didn't go at least, this year's "Glasto" was a shit sandwich (one poor dude even being bored to death in a portaloo by the lineup) but what about good festivals? Been to any, and what was your best?

Leeds 2001 for me, also my first. Wasn't much into drinking or rioting back then so it was all about 'the music' and fuck me was there some good music at that festival: pre-debut the Strokes, Queens, Pavement (well, Malkmus), Weezer, Frank Black. Despite this being the year of nu-metal and dweebs dressing like Fred Durst, the lineup didn't suffer too badly.

Even shit bands who are shit (Green Day, Feeder, Ash, Elbow, King Adora) were rendered enjoyable by the atmosphere and buzz of being at my first festival. Only downside was youthful ignorance of Guided By Voices. But hey, at least I got an overpriced Hundred Reasons t-shirt.

Went the following year when the riots, fighting and fires were really bad and though the lineup was pretty similar it wasn't the same atmosphere and put us off for a few years. By the next time I got to Leeds (06) I was beering and spliffing heavily and enjoyed it less, funnily enough. Weekend festivals had gone to shit for me and the last one I bothered with was ATP in 2009.

So... your best (and worst) festival?

Edited by chauncey

I went to Coachella in 2007, was a fucking epic. RATM headlined on the sunday but the two standout moments for me were meeting Ron Jeremy and dancing with Katy Perry during felix da housecat in the sahara. She definately touched my penis on more than one occassion.

That week was the height of my drug use and sexual prowess. Will have to go again and would advise anybody to do the same. Cali is fucking awesome, just don't take your bird.

Féile is a old Irish musical festival institution.Nicknamed the "Trip to Tipp" and blows away anything I've ever been to since.The likes of Oxygen,Electric picnic et all pail in comparrison.Some of the line ups are here :

Féile Festival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe not big names now but most of these bands were in their pomp at this stage .Some legendary Irish acts were also prominent.

Modern era :

Tournhout / Wechter festival in Belgium is amazing,I've seen some simply unbelievable performances there ,with the added benefit of being stocked by belgian beer and very close to the dutch border for the coffee shops

Theres a new festival in Ireland that I reckon will be a big success ,its only in its 3rd year but Bundoran sea sessions(on the beach) has been brilliant so far

Benicassim in Valencia is another big one and some cracking headliners

Sonar in Barcelona is another good one and Rock Am Ring in Germany is a must for rock fans.

I have missed nearly every band ever at Glastonbury. A sad fact as I am actually a music fan first and foremost.

I first went to Glastonbury in 1989 I think. It was a most unbelievable experience. Naked people selling drugs loudly and openly. Acid House was about so it was a new breed of festival go-er that turned up that year. Brilliant.

The last time I went there (2004/5 I think) I absolutely hated it. They had cash machines and mobile recharge centres etc. Hateful.

For music, my first proper festival was excellent. At Reading, there is nothing to do but watch bands. Sugarcubes / New Order / Spacemen 3 / My Bloody Valentine / That Petrol Emotion / Wonder Stuff / Mission (stunk, though).

I was a young lad a long way from home.

Mine was Pinkpop in Holland 2008. Amazing line up, Metallica, QOTSA, Rage, the Verve, Foos, Eagles Of Death Metal, Kate Nash, all totally brilliant. Rage came on to Bombtrack and it was pure carnage. Was also a fun road trip with loads of japes. Fun times as the yoof say.

Sziget in Budapest is Awesome. It is twice the size of Glastonbury I think (about 400k people), and lasts a full week. Due to the size there is so much going on and a massive mix of music to enjoy. I've not been to Glasto, have been to V festival and Bestival recently and a few others back in the day, and whilst they were really good (particularly Bestival), Sziget was a hell of a lot better, can't recommend it highly enough.

Budapest in the summer is a great place to be. It is about takes about 30 minutes to get there from central Budapest, so if you are so inclined you don't have to sleep in a tent either. I know for many that is half the fun, but it is great to have a bed to sleep in, a proper shower, and a nice breaksfast after the the first couple of days. Its relatively cheap (couple of quid for a beer even in the festival), food is great, and then there are the thermal spas to enjoy. As the site is used all year by the general public there are proper toilets / facilities as well.

Best Festival: Oxegen 2008

Worst Festival: Oxegen 2009

I went with the girlfriend in 2009.

On a sidenote, I went to the Rory Gallagher tribute festival this year. I didn't know any of the bands but we camped for four days and it's by far the best banter I've had at any festival. We just got fucked and stayed in the campsite and met some good people. I'd say we left the campsite about five times over the four days. When we did leave it was only to get food or drink, as I didn't see one band over the whole weekend.

Is Leeds festival any good?

Seen Elbow a few times and just noticed there appearing at both Leeds and Reading, day pass is £82.50, weekend £192.50. Was hoping for The Courteeners as me and the wife are watching them for the 3rd time at Haigh hall this Thursday but there playing V and tickets are sold out.

Any info much appreciated.

Féile is a old Irish musical festival institution.Nicknamed the "Trip to Tipp" and blows away anything I've ever been to since.The likes of Oxygen,Electric picnic et all pail in comparrison.Some of the line ups are here :

Féile Festival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe not big names now but most of these bands were in their pomp at this stage .Some legendary Irish acts were also prominent.

Modern era :

Tournhout / Wechter festival in Belgium is amazing,I've seen some simply unbelievable performances there ,with the added benefit of being stocked by belgian beer and very close to the dutch border for the coffee shops

Theres a new festival in Ireland that I reckon will be a big success ,its only in its 3rd year but Bundoran sea sessions(on the beach) has been brilliant so far

Benicassim in Valencia is another big one and some cracking headliners

Sonar in Barcelona is another good one and Rock Am Ring in Germany is a must for rock fans.

Yep do it every year, brilliant gig.

Oxegen is the biggest feed of shite ever, total knacker-fest. Thieving shower of scum seem to have no problem blagging in a robbing year on year. Didnt get a wink of sleep ( and i was paralytic drunk) one year because the cunts picked on the wrong people. A group of about 9 scousers kicked the fuck out of 15 knackers who were robbing everyone within 50 yards of their tent. They even had the audacity to pile up the proceeds in the middle of one of their tents. Guards came down and the bastards managed to pick themselves up and clear off.

Erm.....Isle of Wight 1970. Yes, I'm ancient; I was only 15.

Hendrix, The Doors, The Who, Taste, Free, Family, Ten Years After, Joni Mitchell, John Sebastian, Jethro Tull, ELP, The Groundhogs.......now them were the days

Have you seen the film Message To Love about the 1970 IOW festival? Wish I'd been there.

It would be Reading 2000, went with a good group of mates, was my Birthday on the Friday.

Endless supply of weed and saw some very good bands. RATM (a revelation in itself), Beck, Oasis, Foo Fighters and The Doves off the top of my head.

Planning on heading to Reading and End of The Road Festival this summer so hoping one of them tops it, although I'm going just with the Missuis so it might be a little stressful than previously.

"Have you seen the film Message To Love about the 1970 IOW festival? Wish I'd been there."

No, Gus, I haven't seen the film right through. Is it worth it? (I think I might try and track it down if it is.) I do recall though some of the slightly unnerving antics of the people who were trying to break the perimeter fences down. I seem to recall they were described at the time as the White Panthers..... I was just a sperm who loved music so tried not to pay too much attention to the aggro. To see that sort of lineup on my first trip to a festival was something I'll never forget. The weather was even very kind, just blue skies.....