You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hillsborough in the Telegraph

Royal Family

I noticed, when reading about the latest gaffe by our Sports Minister Jeremy "Rhyming Slang" Hunt, that various reader comments on this piece in the Daily Telegraph are claiming that the events at Hillsborough were down to hooliganism. Whilst despairing at the levels of ongoing ignorance and indeed malice, I wondered whether any civic-minded folk might like to put the record straight?

US Open 2011: Jeremy Hunt embarrassed after congratulating Rory McIlroy on winning wrong tournament - Telegraph

I noticed, when reading about the latest gaffe by our Sports Minister Jeremy "Rhyming Slang" Hunt, that various reader comments on this piece in the Daily Telegraph are claiming that the events at Hillsborough were down to hooliganism. Whilst despairing at the levels of ongoing ignorance and indeed malice, I wondered whether any civic-minded folk might like to put the record straight?

US Open 2011: Jeremy Hunt embarrassed after congratulating Rory McIlroy on winning wrong tournament - Telegraph

In the very short piece itself, it clearly states that Hunt thinks his biggest ever gaffe was when he said Hillsborough was due to hooligans. Something he later apologised for. Can you tell me what the benefit would be to complaining to someone who has already apologised and knows it’s his biggest ever fuck up? And why do you want some other “civic minded folk” to put the record straight? Why can’t you do it yourself?

Sorry if I am coming across a bit arsey here but I’m getting sick and tired of people looking and trying to find things to be offended by so they can be the first to bring it up and act all horrified. I’m not saying you are definitely doing this, but for the most part people seem to be turning into a bunch of whiners who can’t wait to put on the mock outrage. This fuck up by the ever-stupid Jeremy Hunt was dealt with at the time, and dragging it up again is just dragging up the old slur again.

In the very short piece itself, it clearly states that Hunt thinks his biggest ever gaffe was when he said Hillsborough was due to hooligans. Something he later apologised for. Can you tell me what the benefit would be to complaining to someone who has already apologised and knows it’s his biggest ever fuck up? And why do you want some other “civic minded folk” to put the record straight? Why can’t you do it yourself?

Sorry if I am coming across a bit arsey here but I’m getting sick and tired of people looking and trying to find things to be offended by so they can be the first to bring it up and act all horrified. I’m not saying you are definitely doing this, but for the most part people seem to be turning into a bunch of whiners who can’t wait to put on the mock outrage. This fuck up by the ever-stupid Jeremy Hunt was dealt with at the time, and dragging it up again is just dragging up the old slur again.

In fairness, I think "Royal Family" is suggesting we put the record straight with the plebs who have added their dickwitted comments, not with Hunt. Someone called IDL001 (or something) is doing just that, admirably enough.

I don't think he wants people to complaine to J-Cunt. If you read the reader comments at the bottom there are people there blaming it on Hooliganism.

Guest San Don

I truely despair. The sad fact is just when you think progress is being made, some twat like that politician mentions 'hooliganism' and we're back to square one again.

Guest The Chimp

I despair sometimes I really do. I've said it to Robbie before, generally I do my upmost to avoid the English over here - the article above and their stereotyping of me and mine (and I realise here I'm also guilty of that - although in a reactive rather than proactive manner) is a large reason why. There are obviously exceptions but I just can't be arsed dealing with them - a reason why I moved over here rather than relocate elsewhere in the country from Liverpool.

Edit. I don't know so maybe I'm doing him an injustice - although he should know his facts befroe esposuing - but Hunt's apology? Heartfelt and contrite or simply PR?