You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

Question for you Paul, (as you seem to be the only person on this threat that is actually talking about the stirke)

Now I understand your reasoning behind the strike and support the reasoning, however.....

What gives you as an individual/organisation the right to strike just because you feel that you are being given the shit around.

I work in the private sector, havent had a pay rise in three years, get paid less than colleagues doing the same job and all the rest blah blah blah. I could tell you how shit my working enviroment is but on the flip side what I am saying is it is my choice to carry on working here. I am not tied down to being here or having to come here.

I come here because I need to proviode for my family. If I dont turn up to work then I will face action of my failure to come to work. So why is that different for you?

Thank you for the stuff on how you feel about it and the fact that you have said it will be a financial hinderance to your family.

Er, if you pay for a mars bar, the agreed mars bar at the agreed price and the newsagent bites half off before handing it to you you are entitled to ask for you money back as it was not part of the agreed contract, similarly when you have a contract with your employer and he decides he wants to make changes to that contract it is well within your rights to reject it.

I hope the teachers strike, and i hope it hurts everyone like hell.

Because it's about time we stopped fucking about.

It isn't about the children, or anything else because if that was the case why give them a day off for the Royal Wedding.

The reason that Union membership is lower in the private sector is that anti union legislation that has been introduced over the years has been predominantly pro business, and been pounced upon by the private sector.

I had a freind who came back from America, he was visiting a number of schools and he was dismayed at the standards, and more worryingly, the lack of opportunities available, basically if you are born poor chances are you are staying that way, he said there are two ways of lookign at our society, we are either 20 years ahead of America, or more worrying 20 years behind!

The recent demonstrations to universal health care in America are worrying, and the seemingly endless strategic, ideologically cost driven cuts by the Conservative's is scary!

Sugar Ape and Brodi

Cheers for the posts!!!

I totally understand what you are saying, however...... I just still have this niggling thing that says What gives you this right??? I understand all the legality's the SA was saying that with this union ect

Its just the formalities of life is it not? There are laws and rule and stuff that people create due to them being higher up in the way of things and people just have to deal with it!

My sister in law is striking and I fully support her. I sent a letter to Gove's office asking him about the "parents should help to keep schools open" line and wanting to know how the current administration had managed to speed up CRB checking so much and how much it had cost them to improve the system and if it was an unfunded program. I don't expect a response but I will send them another letter if I hear any stories about this actually being done and will copy in some of the press to see if it sticks.

Who here thinks that we are getting closer to having the "winter of discontent" part 2? I did not think we would, and was surprised that so many were happy to bend over and take another shafting, but the situation looks very different now.

The argument is that the ageing population will cost the taxpayer billions more and the TPS is therefore unsustainable. However, what the fuck do they think will be the effect of raising the retirement age in line with the state one? The profession will be clogged up with late 50s/early 60s teachers who are knackered and very expensive at the top of the pay scale leaving no room for fresh blood at the bottom. In short, a de-motivated and more costly work force. How the fuck does that make sense?

I am broadly in favour of the action being taken but find this argument laughable.

The same argument could be applied to Doctors, nurses, postmen, brickies, architects, crane drivers etc etc. What specifically is it about the teaching profession that is so taxing that early retirement is vital.

In my opinion someone in their late 50's should easily be able to adequately carry out the job they are paid to do. If their performance is substandard they should be disciplined or dismissed as would be the fate of an employee in the private sector.

One thing that annoys me about the debate, and the general debate on the NHS etc is that we keep on being told that because of an ageing population the status quo is unsustainable.

But I presume these people will eventually die, and we will be left with a more balanced population?

Is it really so wrong for someone to suggest that in the coming years taxes and NI will have to be raised to ensure that we can provide for the NHS and Social Care, is really that wrong to argue this?

Its just the formalities of life is it not? There are laws and rule and stuff that people create due to them being higher up in the way of things and people just have to deal with it!

No they shouldn't and nor should they. A short history lesson on unionism would show that if it wasn't for those members in the past you wouldn't be having the working conditions you enjoy at the moment.

The fact is we're heading into another massive down turn in employment, and as Paul said those with families are had over a barrel - it'll be who can wait it out the longest. I don't hold much hope for the teachers getting what they want, but they're right to want it and to strike for it. The strike in my opinion should of been more broadly accepted by other teaching unions, it should cause as much disruption as possible to the system in the least amount of time. Sadly living in a capitalist society without people standing up and saying no to the government their power grows; eventually like it or not it will have an impact on each and every person to where you may lose the rights that you've been promised/granted in the past, just as the teachers are now.

The stat Ape just displayed is mind boggling, how can it be only 15% of private sector workers be in a union? 'I'm alright jack' isn't a concept we should be looking at - it didn't work in the past and it won't work now. Oh and those not in a union, where do you turn when the shit hits the fan?

The stat Ape just displayed is mind boggling, how can it be only 15% of private sector workers be in a union? 'I'm alright jack' isn't a concept we should be looking at - it didn't work in the past and it won't work now. Oh and those not in a union, where do you turn when the shit hits the fan?

Union recognition by employers in the private sector is low and the only groups recognised tend to be unions of current employees only - so if you work for bank A then only the bank a employee association or other similar group is recognised or membership encouraged - that is my experience. If you want to be part of a union you can but it is implied that you won't be treated the same as your peers for promotion etc.

The people striking are on the front lines, those at the back complaining at the people fighting the battle so hopefully they wont have to at their own workplace should realise, once those are gone from the front lines they they will come after them and their rights will be next, the public sector rights get reduced then the private sector will find it much easier to reduce the rights of their workers given less organised unions etc.

Idiots.

Union recognition by employers in the private sector is low and the only groups recognised tend to be unions of current employees only - so if you work for bank A then only the bank a employee association or other similar group is recognised or membership encouraged - that is my experience. If you want to be part of a union you can but it is implied that you won't be treated the same as your peers for promotion etc.

I was under the impression once a set number of employees were part of the same union the employer had a duty to recognise the union?

Superb comment from Paxman on newsnight last night, talking to one of the teachers union leaders.

"Do you seriously expect public support for this strike? even if the pension reforms go through you'll still have a better pension than 90% of the country (leans forward).......and you don't even go to work for 3 months of the year".

Superb comment from Paxman on newsnight last night, talking to one of the teachers union leaders.

"Do you seriously expect public support for this strike? even if the pension reforms go through you'll still have a better pension than 90% of the country (leans forward).......and you don't even go to work for 3 months of the year".

Surely you don't believe it's that simple? Do you?

No, propaganda mate, they divide and conker watch the minimum wage get slashed once the front line fails.

Even if the government manage to get these changes through it will still leave teachers a hell of a lot better of than masses of people in this country. Like I say I am broadly in favour of the action that they are taking because you simply cannot change someone's contract of employment like that. However if youy are asking me to belive that the heroic teachers are standing at the barricades defending the prols from the capitalist hoards I will laugh. It is about £1500 quid a year no more no less.

Edited by Anny Road

Even if the government manage to get these changes through it will still leave teachers a hell of a lot better of than masses of people in this country. Like I say I am broadly in favour of the action that they are taking because you simply cannot change someone's contract of employment like that. However if youy are asking me to belive that the heroic teachers are standing at the barricades defending the prols from the capitalist hoards I will laugh. It is about £1500 quid a year no more no less.

Surely it is about collective responsibilty though Anny?

The teachers are just one section of the public sector, who have been demonised by the Conservatives, I notice the Medical Union are talking about striking over their pensions as well! Remember the argument before christmas about the students, it was off the same ilk i.e. why should I have sympathy for a student, they should pay taxes!

Now it is the Teachers, and we are getting 'why should I have sympathy for teachers, our taxes pay their pensions. Same language, different target.

Look at the bollocks that is happening in Higher Education, with that fucking egg head now saying that all Universities should be subject to competition! It is Freidmanomics and that has never, ever worked.

The line has to be drawn somewhere, people are getting shafted left right and centre by a shower of lying, corrupt conmen, who nobody voted for.

I'm talking about the pension, not the job. Everybody is taking a hit to reverse the Labour debt, why should they or anyone else claim immunity?

Because, its not just about taking a hit. Pay being frozen already for 2 years is a hit.

They are talking about significant changes that'll affect people for maybe 30-40 years, or even worse affect some who've planned well for their forthcoming retirements.

I've read enough on here to know you're a poster boy for the tories, but now your either just trolling, or are even less inteligent than you seem.