You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

Now that Osborne announced that a further 710,000 staff are to go, will the scabs mind at all if I volunteer each and every one of them to be the first out the door ? These cowards don't seem to mind themselves, so fuck 'em, eh ?

Carvalho has been superb in this thread and he can not be argued with as he knows so much about it.

The only thing I would point out is I thought it was rising from 400.000 to 710.000 not an extra 710,000.

Carv?

Just seen that Clarkson clip for the first time. I read it as more of a piss-take on BBC impartiality, basically "I've just said a positive thing, so try and think of the most negative thing I can say now".

It may not be particularly funny or witty, but hardly offensive in context.

• 2 weeks later...
Tube drivers have called four days of strikes over demands for triple pay and a day off in lieu for working a bank holiday.

Triple time is a bit much, but surely double time and a day in lieu is standard? I believe it's actually illegal to work a bank holiday without a day in lieu, which I always do I might add!

Triple time is a bit much, but surely double time and a day in lieu is standard? I believe it's actually illegal to work a bank holiday without a day in lieu, which I always do I might add!

I used to get either of these 2 options back in the days of strong unions.

Like I've said many times previously,I wont be taking the soundbites like SD mentioned as gospel any more and reckon there is more than we may ever be told to the dispute.

Any tube driver union members here to give us the facts?

A major sell out by the TUC is underway. Prentice and barber are advocating the deal coalition put on that table before the strike.

national shop stewards network is lobbying the meeting tomorrow of the public sector liaisongroup at congress house at 2.30.

The TUC selling out the democratic decisions of union members yet again.

Class traitors.

A major sell out by the TUC is underway. Prentice and barber are advocating the deal coalition put on that table before the strike.

national shop stewards network is lobbying the meeting tomorrow of the public sector liaisongroup at congress house at 2.30.

The TUC selling out the democratic decisions of union members yet again.

Class traitors.

If thats the case I`m getting on to my union and asking for the money back that I lost for the days strike. If they are advocating the deal that was there before then weve been bummed so that they can advance their own profiles. The shithouses.

Aren't Prentis and Barber on about 120 grand a year each?

I don't know what "class" that makes them, but it certainly isn't the same one as the ordinary union members.

Yeah but like people like you often say, if they dont pay them wages then all the talent will go abroad if they dont pay that.

Plus you got to pay more to keep the corruption wolf from the door so to speak.

Andrew Lansley to watch you while you sleep

22-11-11

HEALTH secretary Andrew Lansley is to sit next to hospital patients, looking at them while they sleep.

'You look like a little bunny rabbit'

Mr Lansley has opted for a more 'hands-on' approach after it emerged his televised bedside message was making patients want to die.

He said: "I want to be the first thing they see when they wake up. Some of them may be alarmed to find my nose two inches from theirs, but I have been practicing a range of soothing noises in case they start to scream.

"I will say, 'there, there, everything's fine, it's just me, health secretary Andrew Lansley - would you like some porridge?'.

"Then I will tell them how much I care about them and how watching them while they sleep makes me feel me closer to them, especially when I stroke their hair and sing to them."

He added: "It also means that if they start complaining about the NHS I can punch them in the face."

Meanwhile soldiers fighting in Afghanistan will be fitted with a shoulder harness carrying a small TV screen showing a gung-ho message from defence secretary Philip Hammond on a never-ending loop.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "He will start by thanking them and then give them a series of hints and tips about how to kill a Taleban when your gun stops working.

"He will then finish with a hearty rendition of God Save the Queen before lifting up his kilt like something out of Carry On Up the Khyber."

• 1 month later...