You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

Nothing as such SD, I just find his attitude during newsnight debates really annoying, comes across as a right arrogant twat. He needs to watch a bit more of Dimbleby.

He had some pertinent questions. Where will the money come from? Not the rich. According to the ONS it's the poorest 1/5th getting hammered, and they'll get raided further as apart from rioting they'll take getting shafted.

Well a lot more, in fact a hell of a lot more that didn't strike also pay tv licences so I'm not getting why he isn't entitled to an opinion? I'm not agreeing with him just wondering why because the strikers pay a tv licence he can't have his opinion.

True he rarely makes ambiguous statements but that is Clarkson, don't like it then tell the BBC, you pay your licence after all.

I was waiting for that comment, and I know what you mean Dave but the whole UK was not on strike as they arnt union members affected. he attacked Union member who pay 'also' pay his wages. we strkers are after all 'members of the public' who pay are taxes etc.

The TV licence is a different story I do have strong views on that but that a differnt topic so I dont want this to go off topic

Guest davelfc
I was waiting for that comment, and I know what you mean Dave but the whole UK was not on strike as they arnt union members affected. he attacked Union member who pay 'also' pay his wages. we strkers are after all 'members of the public' who pay are taxes etc.

The TV licence is a different story I do have strong views on that but that a differnt topic so I dont want this to go off topic

His comments probably helped the cause more than hurting it.

I see were your coming from in a way. like you say he is entiteled to an opinion but in my eyes an opinion is saying he disagrees with strikes not that hard working some of which low earning people should be shot.

Do you find that acceptable for a high profile figure?

Guest davelfc

It's Clarkson, it's what he does. His main concern is what high powered supercar does he drive today, he's a million miles away from understanding the situation.

Ignore him, like I said he's probably made more people sympathetic towards the cause than anyone else did on tv all day.

I see were your coming from in a way. like you say he is entiteled to an opinion but in my eyes an opinion is saying he disagrees with strikes not that hard working some of which low earning people should be shot.

did you actually watch it? as you're taking the spirit of what he said the way he said it out of context It was clearly a joke.

Clarkson plays on this right wing pseudo militant act it's his schitck FFS some people

Guest davelfc
During an interview on the BBC, the 51 year-old television presenter suggested that public sector workers who took part in Wednesday's industrial action should be shot dead in front of their families.

Clarkson was asked what he would do with strikers, he replied: "I would have them all shot."

He continued: "I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families.

"I mean how dare they go on strike when they have these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed, while the rest of us have to work for a living."

The public broadcaster issued a swift on-air apology, saying Clarkson sometimes overstepped the mark in his quest for "comic" value.

Video: Jeremy Clarkson on public sector strikers: 'I'd have them all shot' - Telegraph

did you actually watch it? as you're taking the spirit of what he said the way he said it out of context It was clearly a joke.

Clarkson plays on this right wing pseudo militant act it's his schitck FFS some people

Yes a big enough joke to make the BBC issue an apology

It's Clarkson, it's what he does. His main concern is what high powered supercar does he drive today, he's a million miles away from understanding the situation.

That's the attitude that keeps the S*n in business. OK, it's a bit naughty and it occasionally upsets a few people, but, hey, it's what they do!

Bollocks.

Too many cunts in this country, in positions of genuine power and influence, are carrying out full-blown, relentless class-warfare under the disguise of "just a bit of fun".

Yes a big enough joke to make the BBC issue an apology

it happens the BBC also had to apologise to the Mexican embassy over the comments made on that top gear episode. as the BBC have said it was a joke Clarkson probably doesn't give a shit about the strikes. but if he's said I couldn't care less it would have still made the news with people moaning Clarkson don't gie a shit how dare he. it's a non story designed to generate outrage and whatever and essentially started by Piers Morgan on Twitter

Guest davelfc
That's the attitude that keeps the S*n in business. OK, it's a bit naughty and it occasionally upsets a few people, but, hey, it's what they do!

Bollocks.

Too many cunts in this country, in positions of genuine power and influence, are carrying out full-blown, relentless class-warfare under the disguise of "just a bit of fun".

I quite agree, I just don't think that Clarkson is one of them.

Bringing that rag into the argument wrong and you know it.

It's the fucking "ONE SHOW' on bbc, if you're watching that shite and taking it all in as a serious debate on the days events then you deserve to be taken out and shot. Those that do are lost to humanity anyway, pity them.

Bollocks.

It's not is it. Name one paper that doesn't do that. and as an ex public sector worker who was made redundant earlier this year and still went and joined former collegues outside where i worked. I see no reason to get worked up by his comments. thats all

I quite agree, I just don't think that Clarkson is one of them.

Bringing that rag into the argument wrong and you know it.

We'll have to disagree on both points: I believe firstly that Clarkson is, absolutely, a shit-stirring class-bigot and secondly that his views and his approach to expressing them are perfectly in-tune with the rag he writes a column for.

It's the fucking "ONE SHOW' on bbc, if you're watching that shite and taking it all in as a serious debate on the days events then you deserve to be taken out and shot. Those that do are lost to humanity anyway, pity them.

Wait til the Cash in the Attic political heavyweights join in.

I'll put this in this thread as well since some questions are strike related.

Cameron doing a Q&A on This Morning. From The Guardian :

10.43am: Here we go. The Cameron interview is starting.

Q: So, the strike was a damp squib?

Cameron says that compared with what the unions had said would happen, it did not cause as much disruption as expected. We were told nine out of 10 schools would close.

Q: But 1 million people went on strike?

Cameron says he understand that. But the government has to consider the interests of taxpayers. What is being offered to public sector workers is "very fair". The money can only come from taxpayers or from workers themselves.

Q: But why are you penalising the lowest paid when there are very rich people.

Cameron says the government is taxing the banks. And the top 10% are paying 10 times as much as the bottom 10%.

10.46am: They are taking questions from viewers now.

Q: Where are the pension cuts for MPs?

Cameron says MPs' pensions are being reformed. And the size of the Commons is being reduced.

Q: Would you cut bankers' bonuses?

We are taxing bankers' bonuses, Cameron says. And there is a bank levy. That will raise money every year.

Q: Why should public sector workers keep working?

Cameron says the 1% pay freeze was tough. But the government decided to uprate benefits. They go to some of the poorest people in society.

On public sector pay, he says some workers see their pay go up because it is related to length of service. So their pay might go up even though there is a freeze.

10.49am: More questions.

Q: What are you going to do with the money saved from not having to pay public sector workers yesterday?

Cameron says there is a huge deficit.

Q: Do you ever feel like shouting: "We can't afford it"?

Cameron says he only shouts at PMQs. But it is a tough time for the country.

Q: But the bottom third of the population will be hardest hit. That's what the IFS says.

Cameron says if you look at the overall numbers [for all the government's tax and benefit changes] the richest 10% pay 10 times as much as the poorest 10%.

Pensions were uprated by 5.2%, he says.

The fuel duty increase was cancelled.

Q: Why will child poverty go up by 100,000?

Cameron says there is a real problem with the way child poverty is measuresd. If you increase the pension, that increases child poverty, because the average goes up and poverty is measured in relation to the average.

10.52am: Cameron is still taking questions.

He says the government's work schemes are trying to help the "hard to help". The government wants to be fair.

Q: What do you think of what Jeremy Clarkson said last night about strikers being shocked?

That was "a silly thing to say", Cameron says.

Q: What happens if the euro fails?

Cameron says there would be a very steep decline in GDP in all European countries, including Britain.

He did not support the euro, he says. But the break-up of it would be "very bad for Britain".

Q: Was the strike yesterday futile?

Cameron says it was futile. Negotiations are on-going.

Agree with you 100& by the way AOT. Clarkson is a fucking wanker.

Just so I have this clear, the AngryofTuebrook who has a bee in his bonnet about Jeremy Clarkson's jokey comment that strikers should be shot is the same AngryofTuebrook who wrote this about Margaret Thatcher?

Basically, I want her to watch all the people she was ever close to die, then everything she ever stood for be overturned, then I want her to reflect that her entire life has come to nothing. Then she can go to her reward (on the end of a pitchfork).

That moral highground sure is looking a bit boggy.