You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

With the teachers unions voting to strike today and the PCS expected to say the same tomorrow; it looks like there is going to a big teachers/civil service strike on the 30th June, with even bigger ones probable for later in the year.

I can only see this getting worse, especially with Vince Cable warning last week the government could clamp down on the right to take strike action.

Anyone going to be taking part in this? Or going to be affected by it? Thoughts?

BBC News - Teachers vote in favour of strike over pensions

Thousands of schools are set to be hit by a series of walk-outs after teachers backed strike action in England and Wales over changes to their pensions.

Members of the National Union of Teachers and the Associations of Teachers and Lecturers are expected to walk out on 30 June.

The unions say the pensions changes will leave them working longer, paying more and getting less when they retire.

The government insists any changes will be fair and affordable to the nation.

The dispute over pensions is likely to widen with other public sector unions holding ballots for industrial action this summer.

Cabinet Office Minister Frances Maude said: "It will be a big mistake for people to embark on strike action while there are discussions going on."

With both teachers' unions striking, it could mean that almost every school in England and Wales will be affected this term.

Lecturers are already walking out and head teachers are on the verge of balloting on industrial action over the same issue.

About 220,000 NUT members were balloted over the pensions changes. Around nine out of 10 (or 92%) of those who voted, backed the strike action with a turn-out of 40%.

And just over half of the ATL's 160,000 members took part in a separate ballot over changes to the Teacher Pension Scheme - the rest are not members of the scheme.

Some 83% of the ATL members who voted backed the strike action. The turn-out was 35%.

A strike on June 30 would be the first time in the history of the usually moderate ATL that the teachers' union takes national strike action.

The NUT last held a national strike in 2008.

ATL general secretary Mary Bousted said: "This is a warning shot across the bows to the government.

"When even the least militant education union and teachers working in private schools vote to strike the government would be wrong to ignore it."

'Disgraceful'

Christine Blower, general secretary of the National Union of Teachers, said the government's attack on public sector pensions left NUT members with no alternative but to strike.

"It is disgraceful that the government is pressing ahead with its reforms which will affect teachers' pensions.

teacher Teachers say the planned pension changes will hit their pockets hard

"The government knows that they are affordable. This is a policy which has nothing to do with economics and everything to do with politics," she added.

It will take a formal decision on the strike date on Wednesday.

Lecturers and academics at the UCU lecturers' union have already time-tabled strike action for 30 June over the same issue.

And the PCS union, representing civil servants, is expected to walk out then too. The results of their ballot are due on Wednesday.

The teachers' unions are set to prepare for further strike dates in the autumn, should ministers not respond as they wish to their demands.

A spokesman for the Department for Education said the government was committed to working openly and constructively with unions.

He added: "But we are clear that a strike by teachers will only damage pupils' learning and inconvenience their busy working parents. The well-being and safety of pupils must remain paramount."

Further talks between the government and union leaders will be held on June 27, just days before the June 30 strike.

The National Association of Head Teachers (NAHT) said the announcement of strike action by fellow teaching unions was "the sad but inevitable result of a profession under attack".

The NAHT is poised to ballot its own members over the same issue.

Its general secretary Russell Hobby said: "Nobody wants a strike. Yet when proposals are put forward that would not only hurt those in post but cause a drop in teaching standards, those of us who feel passionately about the future of education simply cannot stand by and do nothing."

Sally Hunt, general secretary of the UCU lecturers union, which is already planning to strike on June 30, said: "Educators do not like taking strike action. Our chosen vocation is to change lives and transform life chances and we are unlikely militants."

She added that last year while ordinary people suffer huge cuts in their standards of living, the richest 1,000 people in Britain saw their collective wealth rise by 18%.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm not 100% sure if it's the right thing to do, but I'll always stand with my working and unionised brethren. If they feel it's the right thing, they've got my backing. Solidarity.

The teachers?

Well, that's going to bring the nation to a grinding halt isn't it?

The government will have to mobilise the military to put ticks and crosses in exercise books.

Makes you wonder what all the fuss is about when snow closes a few schools - we have no end of parents complaining.

I'm an ATL member and voted to strike. I think for many teachers this isn't just about pensions: the coalition education policy seems to be a mixture of "the 1950's were the golden age of English education" and half-assed academies (what is the point of these?). And Vince Cable, as one of our very moderate, never has striked, older members of staff said: bring it on.

I'll be striking. As somebody said it's not just about the pension issue.

This government seems intent on placing education in the hands of middle class mums without recourse to the practical implications.

Blind leading the blind without taking into consideration those who'll suffer most.

My mate's made up because he's in a smaller teachers' union which isn't striking, but they're not going in to work. Few days off with full pay - lucky bastard!

I've never been on strike, I would do if asked, but it's just never happened where I am. That being said, if the Government does attempt any kind of crackdown I'll be down there like a shot. They can fuck off with that shit.

Makes you wonder what all the fuss is about when snow closes a few schools - we have no end of parents complaining.

I'm an ATL member and voted to strike. I think for many teachers this isn't just about pensions: the coalition education policy seems to be a mixture of "the 1950's were the golden age of English education" and half-assed academies (what is the point of these?). And Vince Cable, as one of our very moderate, never has striked, older members of staff said: bring it on.

Yep academies are americanised privatisation shite with extra dollops of wank. A production line of cartwheeling mentally unstimulated consumer kids turned into commodities in order to stimulate 'growth' in new sectors.

Not altogether enthused about the pension changes, but I am interested in seeing the alternative proposals for propping up the unsustainable pyramid racket that is the civil service pension scheme.

Its not unsustainable though is it, its perfectly sustainable and always has been. Its the private sector that is unsustainable not the public sector.

• Downvote 1

Question - are UK public sector pensions managed in the same way as corporate schemes - invested in a range of instruments across the global economies? I honestly don't know as I have never worked in the public sector.

Question - are UK public sector pensions managed in the same way as corporate schemes - invested in a range of instruments across the global economies?

Basically, yes.

It's always amusing to hear the six-figure salaried Marxists criticising the "obscene profits" of the private sector when it's those profits sustaining their pensions. Never ones for joined-up thinking, though, were they?

Basically, yes.

It's always amusing to hear the six-figure salaried Marxists criticising the "obscene profits" of the private sector when it's those profits sustaining their pensions. Never ones for joined-up thinking, though, were they?

Or not sustaining them, as the case may be. Claims in one breath that they cannot be sustained but in another that they are being sustained by the private sector. Make your mind up, instead of trashing the public sector and getting twisted up, just admit the private sector is failing.

Actually I've got an easier solution, put me on ignore after the negs don't work. They just make ewe worse.

Guest Pistonbroke
The teachers?

Well, that's going to bring the nation to a grinding halt isn't it?

The government will have to mobilise the military to put ticks and crosses in exercise books.

So you don't think it would have a knock on effect and cost the country money?

Basically, yes.

Many, many public sector workers are paid so poorly, that they qualify to claim the benefits which they administer !