You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most disappointing signing

Section_31

Most have been mentioned, but here's my take:

Clough - never watched him much before joining us, but believed the hype about him being a new version of Dalglish with great football mind. Could be true, but much too slow and weak to make a big impact with us.

Dicks/Stewart/Ince - had low expectations, but they actually all managed to underwhelm.

Collymore - probably the biggest letdown of them all. Fantastic first season, then completely bombed.

Heskey - thought he'd be brilliant for us, and wasn't actually all that bothered about Owen or Fowler being benched as I felt we needed a presence up top like the Mancs had had in Cantona and later Yorke. As Collymore he started off great, then the rest as they say is history.

Kewell, Keane and Cole are big flops, but didn't really expect much of either. Got a bit excited after Kewell skinned Bridge (or was it Cole?) on the outside in the Charity Shield (as one of the reasons for my skepticism was that I thought he had lost his pace), but didn't really reproduce that spectacle too often, did he?

Babel is a decent shout, I agree.

Phil fucking Babb

On the back of his World Cup performances for Ireland, I was made up when we signed him and thought he would become 'our' Des Walker.

Seldom has a player promised so much and delivered so little. The height of his Liverpool career was when he banged his balls on the goal post and at least gave the crowd a laugh.

I heard the fucker on the radio the other night plugging his new career as a Football Agent. Seemed very appropriate. Fucking low-life, bloodsucking, parasitical, shameless twat!

Has to be Collymore for me. British transfer record at 8.5m and had everything going for him to become the top english striker of his generation. It was a mouth watering prospect to think him and fowler forming a partnership. Only has himself to blame for not realising his potential.

Morientes for me. I knew Keane would be, if not rubbish, a totally unnecessary signing, and while I tried my hardest to be positive about Aquilani, I knew whatever he was always going to be a downgrade on Xabi.

Babel is a decent shout but when you're buying young players with potential that also includes the potential to do fuck all, with Morientes I thought we were getting the finished article, but just never clicked for some reason.

Gregory Vignal; when I first saw him and Riise link up on the left hand side, I thought that we would be in for a treat. Alas he was gash.

In terms of head-shaking disappointment, I really wanted each of Dean Saunders, Djibbers, Kewell and Babel to be The Chosen One, when in reality they were for the mostpart "enigmatic" at best. Cole will probably be added to this list.

Keane and Kewell with an honourable mention for Smicer. Yeah I know he scored a goal and a penalty in the 2005 final and played a big part in our 5th European Cup and now he is well loved on here but for me personally I thought he was pretty shit for 5 seasons. He was bought as McManaman's replacement and wasn't up to it.

I think you did as I was going to ask the question if it meant the player that disappointed you most when we signed him or the one you had high hopes for but disappointed you?

Pennant in the first category as I knew he would be a nothing player and I really wanted us to sign Quaresma.

Personally I had high hopes for Mark Kennedy after reading loads of positives about him, Dean Saunders was another disappointment, the same goes for Ziege and Cheyrou.

Zeige was alright I thought he didn't do too bad at all, although Houllier had so many fullbacks at the time a shit load of backup full backs like Troare and Vignal and we were stuffed with fullbacks. Chopped ham face german with Babbel on the other sight was a nice sight for a very short moment in time.

It's a close call between Diouf and Aquilani. Diouf because he was supposed to be the final piece and he failed miserably - I ended up hating the twat before he left.

Aquilani because he was supposed to be our most important signing that summer and even though I was sceptical about buying an injured player, I was desperate to believe he was part of some master plan. Well... he wasn't.