You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Under 21s

Pidge

I'm planning on trying to watch a fair bit of this. Saving money for my holiday in a few weeks means I'll be in a fair bit so bring it on.

Anyone else going to pay much attention?

No room for Palsson in Iceland's starting line-up but they have some good players. Actually, having looked he's not in the squad... strange how playing regularly and playing well can see you drop OUT of contention...

edit: fuck me, I thought our anthem was dreary...

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was looking forward to watching Canales for Spain, but they haven't even picked him. Supposedly because he's 'failed to impress' at Real Madrid having hardly been picked. That's annoyed me quite a bit, he looked brilliant last time I saw them play. As did Pacheco, who's also not picked. What a load of shit. Will watch Bojan, Jeffren, Mata and Henderson instead then. Will also see what Alcantara's like, seeing as he's a Barca kid.

Seriously don't get Canales not being added though, he must be better than some of the players in that Spain midfield.

Just found this :

Sergio Canales has dropped a big hint he's ready to leave Real Madrid. The young midfielder has attracted enquiries from Arsenal and Manchester City this week. And Canales hinted his head has been turned by Premier League interest when saying:

"I've just finished the season. I want to take three or four days to consider everything calmly."

"It is true that what I need is to play and from there we'll see. In the next week I'll talk to Madrid and we'll see where things go. Being here is incredible to me. But I really need and want to play..."

Canales wants crunch Real Madrid talks as Man City, Arsenal make contact - Real Madrid Fan Community

I wonder if Kenny and/or Commoli know much of him?

Edited by Red Phoenix

Thiago is class.

Canales isn't helped by the fact that he plays pretty high, it's tough to break through there, a lot of competition. He couldn't get many games with Ozil, Kaka, Graner and several others looking to play in there and that has probably led to him being the man sacrificed in the name of balance (I assume) in the Spanish midfield. That and the fact he's younger than the rest and will be eligible next time around.

Edited by Pidge

Annoying the way Sky build this tournament up and hype it a lot, yet will completely ignore the under 17 World Cup this month, or the under 20 World Cup next month.

Be good to watch Spain but it's hard to get too excited about a tournament with Belarus, Iceland, Switzerland and Denmark representing half the teams in it.

Am supporting Spain, even tomorrow, bollocks to Engurland. Hope Henderson does well though.

Canales isn't helped by the fact that he plays pretty high, it's tough to break through there, a lot of competition. He couldn't get many games with Ozil, Kaka, Graner and several others looking to play in there and that has probably led to him being the man sacrificed in the name of balance (I assume) in the Spanish midfield. That and the fact he's younger than the rest and will be eligible next time around.

Yeah, never thought he'd have much look at Real yet, thought the U21's would've let him in though. Patches said he couldn't get in because he'd not played enough games on twitter I think, so maybe they've left him out for the same reason. I think he's got a huge future if he stays fit and carries on developing anyway.

Edited by Red Phoenix

Watched both games yesterday. The Belarus v Iceland was a bit cagey, which is understandable as nobody wants to lose their opening game. Iceland were disappointing none of their "stars" did anything of note.

The Belarus captain Sivakov looked a tidy player in central midfield. Maybe lacks pace but showed a good range of passing and never looked rushed. Looks like he's the metronome of the team. One to watch.

Denmark v Switzerland was a better game. I think a draw would have been a fair result.

Denmark's left back Boileson looked decent, a couple of good runs, a good cross and passed well. Wasn't really tested defensively though.

The Swiss have a few good prospects coming through, Shaqiri being the obvious one. He's got good close control, a low centre of gravity and a good shot but needs to know when to use it. He had five or six shots from range in the first half and they were all wasted. Someone must have had a word at half time because the first chance he got second half, he feinted to shoot and drove into the box and was rewarded with a goal.

Emeghara has skill and pace but looks very raw and their keeper made a couple of good saves to keep them ahead when Denmark were piling on the pressure.