You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Raheem Sterling

Cushty92

14 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Or pretend he had a bad back.

Bad back?

Coutinho claimed to have a bad back. As far as I remember Luis only had a bad habit of giiving his opponents lovebites.

He was suspended for the first matches. When did he claim to have a bad back?

On 25/03/2019 at 10:05, El Rojo said:

Not that arsed either way about Sterling as a footballer when we're not playing them  - we got good money for him and we've generally been far better up front since he left.

He deserves great credit for calling out the media on their divisive, racist agenda a few months back.

This.

I'm not even as narked about the manner of his departure as I once was.  He left QPR when he was given a chance by a club that would pay him better and improve his chances of silverware; he left Liverpool for the same reasons.

13 hours ago, JustTosh said:

OK, I guess my opinions towards Luis iare a bit biased. He’s probably the closest I’ve been to manly love ever. If he wanted the Arsenal transfer at least he didn’t let it show on the pitch

He did in the pre-season matches.

Sulked around the pitch, refused to celebrate with teammates and generally acted the twat.

Fortunately by the time the real stuff came along, a combination of him realising the club weren’t going to budge and his will to win meant he was back to normal, hyper competitive genius behaviour.

17 hours ago, JustTosh said:

There’s more to it than that. Luis Suarez was virtually flogged out of English football.  

After the Evra case and that miscarriage of justice Luis stayed several seasons with us until there was no other option than leaving. I mean, when the person responsible for the economy of the PL publically says about the man providing more publicity to the PL than any other: “Premier league is better off without Luis Suarez”, the writing’s on the wall.

The Arsenal transfer? Maybe you do believe all you read in the tabloid press. I don't and I didn't hear him say once he wanted that move. In my book he let hjs feet do the talking by giving us the 13-14 season.

Nah, racism thing aside, which I don't really want to debate as it was just too ambiguous a situation, he did himself absolutely no favours. I think he's proven he's quite a decent guy, family man and what have you, but even while I was cheering him he made me uncomfortable how unpleasant he was on the pitch and the way he was always looking for a way out of the club.

I don't think there was much of an agenda against him, his behaviour spoke for himself. Great player, tremendous to watch, but he was a dirty bastard at LFC, that's all there was to it. And to be honest, and I may be in the minority on this, I don't like Suarez and didn't miss him one bit despite his outrageous ability. Not even when we were shit the year after he left. He soured me so much. 

21 hours ago, JustTosh said:

Bad back?

Coutinho claimed to have a bad back. As far as I remember Luis only had a bad habit of giiving his opponents lovebites.

He was suspended for the first matches. When did he claim to have a bad back?

I meant Coutinho faked a non injury while the mad bastard that is Suarez just wanted to play all the time even if he was having impure transfer thoughts. I was agreeing with you,mostly.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2019 at 08:38, Shooter in the Motor said:

International football is a joke. England rarely lose matches in the qualifiers as the opposition is generally cannon fodder to the established international teams. Sterling is a decent player but England have had plenty of those over the years and still do fuck all when it really counts. On a worldwide stage compared to the players other countries have in their teams, Sterling is bang average.

No England fan, but Sterling has become a top player. He used to be a very inconsistent talent, now he's not far off world class imo.

Its generally difficult to use the term 'world class' with English players. The national team have improved(who wouldn't after sacking the owl!) but they tend to get outclassed when playing the actual top nations in meaningful games. The WC was only a 'success' because of a ridiculously easy draw and they still fucked it up. There's also an argument that would the likes of Sterling be as good domestically if not having the quality of Aguero,De Bruyne,Silva,etc alongside? While he is excellent I'm not sure he'd light up say a team just outside the big guns in the way others have done.

The thing with Sterling is his movement was always excellent and it's got even better. He still has a tendency to fuck things up when he has time to think about it and his all around game isn't exceptional so I'd stop short of calling him world class but his ability to find space close to goal is lethal in teams where there is the ability to pick the pass.

I'd echo what a few others have said as well. He seems to have grown up a bit now and seems like a decent fella so I can't particularly dislike him much. It helps that we have Mane and Salah who I think are both better than him too.

• 2 years later...

Football agent Aidy Ward broke rules by targeting minors - BBC News

A leading football agent who used to represent Raheem Sterling has broken Football Association rules by signing under-age players, according to evidence seen by BBC Panorama.

Aidy Ward also asked Mr Sterling to speak to a 15-year-old, as part of an attempt by Mr Ward to sign him.

Mr Ward, who owns Colossal Sports Management, said he could not comment.

The FA prohibits agents offering deals before 1 January in the year of a player's 16th birthday.

The BBC understands that Mr Ward is already under investigation by the FA in relation to this incident, but the association has yet to conclude its inquiry.

Evidence seen by Panorama reveals how Mr Ward, at a dinner with a 15-year-old boy and his mother at a restaurant in London, video-called his most famous client Raheem Sterling and asked him to speak to the boy.

Mr Sterling's lawyers told Panorama that as an England international he feels a responsibility to speak to aspiring players and has done so a couple of times at Mr Ward's request.

However, he does not speak to them about agents or financial issues, and he supports FA rules designed to protect young players.

Mr Sterling, who has a small shareholding in Colossal given to him by Ward, dropped him as an agent late last year.

Mr Ward said he could not comment out of respect for the FA investigation.

On 29/03/2019 at 01:27, Funkasy said:

I think he is just as good as Salah or Mane. They are all ace players who score for fun. 

He’s improved at City, but is one of the poorest finishers in the Premier League, and before anyone says look at the goals he scores, look at the sitters he regularly misses.

17 hours ago, coachpotato said:

He’s improved at City, but is one of the poorest finishers in the Premier League, and before anyone says look at the goals he scores, look at the sitters he regularly misses.

Hot damn getting quoted 2.5 years later, haha. I agree i dont share that thought anymore, at least not compared to Salah. Mane and Sterling are probably comparable that they have had very good seasons and not so good ones. 

• Upvote 1