You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Raheem Sterling

Cushty92

I'm sure I've noted this before but it bears repeating. First time I noticed Sterling was against Hearts away at Tynecastle. A Hearts defender hit a cross-field pass which Sterling intercepted and played past the goalie for Agent Borini to sidefoot into an empty net. Only to hit the post. Anyway, the replays showed Sterling setting off to intercept the pass before the Hearts defender even hit the ball. I remember thinking that you can't teach a player that kind of footballing intelligence. Either you got it or you ain't, and this boy has got it. And to think there was talk less than a year ago of letting him go to some Championship side on loan. Was that real? Christ, bullet dodged if it was.

• Upvote 5

I'm sure I've noted this before but it bears repeating. First time I noticed Sterling was against Hearts away at Tynecastle. A Hearts defender hit a cross-field pass which Sterling intercepted and played past the goalie for Agent Borini to sidefoot into an empty net. Only to hit the post. Anyway, the replays showed Sterling setting off to intercept the pass before the Hearts defender even hit the ball. I remember thinking that you can't teach a player that kind of footballing intelligence. Either you got it or you ain't, and this boy has got it. And to think there was talk less than a year ago of letting him go to some Championship side on loan. Was that real? Christ, bullet dodged if it was.

that was rodgers telling him to get his head out of his hole and it worked.

• Upvote 1

I remember that NextGen Series game at WHL where we lost 1-0 but got reinstated as Spurs had fielded an ineligible player. We absolutely battered them but just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net, and Sterling was tearing their defence a new one every time he got the ball. Only a few months earlier, he'd absolutely devastated the Southend defence when we battered them 9-0 in the Youth Cup. Back then we were all saying that if we could get him into the first team and have him offer the same threat on a consistent basis, we would have a hell of a player on our hands. It took him a while but he hasn't half kicked on since pretty much the Spurs game last season.