You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will you see a third world war?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Will you see a third world war?

Was only thinking about this earlier after reminiscing over a trip to the Imperial War Museum in Duxford last weekend, comparing it happening again.

I really hope I don't see it or my kids see it but you just never know. No idea who'll kick it off either.

One debate me and the other half had last weekend is if the famous 'spirit' of the UK would be the same this time around what with the state of the country and how general attitudes have changed.

Also taking Into consideration the millions of Human Rights laws that might prevent people being sent to the army to fight for their countries.

Guest TK-421

I don't think I'll see it, so I voted for "no". It will be the next generation who suffer from it. At some point there will be global political/economic/social unrest and it will reach critical mass. Water and fossil fuels will be dwindling apace, and it will be clear to all that a massive scrap will be needed to sort out who gets to use the rest of it. However, this point will not arrive in my lifetime.

Was only thinking about this earlier after reminiscing over a trip to the Imperial War Museum in Duxford last weekend, comparing it happening again.

I really hope I don't see it or my kids see it but you just never know. No idea who'll kick it off either.

One debate me and the other half had last weekend is if the famous 'spirit' of the UK would be the same this time around what with the state of the country and how general attitudes have changed.

Also taking Into consideration the millions of Human Rights laws that might prevent people being sent to the army to fight for their countries.

Your first point is a good one, it will probibly depend on the place. We hear great things about the British spirit back then but there was no doubt another side, for instance the black market and organised crime flourished back then, its ranks bolstered by a lot of deserters. I wonder how much of the bulldog spirit thing was propoganda, I'm not sure.

With regards troops, it was actually an advert for a new fly on the wall thing about Afghanistan which got me thinking about the subject. I wondered what it would look like to see the west's forces engaged against a 'real' army again like the Chinese, rather than with guerillas.

For what it's worth I personally don't think we'll see another global war. I think the planet is too interconnected and when something kicks off it will be squashed before it gets out of hand. For example I can deffo see someone setting off a nuke at some point, whether it be a Government or a group I don't know, but if and when it happens it will send shockwaves through the human race like nothing ever has done before.

I don't think we'll see a war on the scale of WWII again. In fact, I can't see a war taking place in mainland Europe in the foreseeable future.

Israel being attacked is something that could kick it off. Especially if Iran get nukes to threaten them with. A lot depends on relations between Russia, China and the USA as well. China are already getting bad press over there; though I don't believe they would start a war.

Russia trying to claim vast swathes of the Arctic could cause a few problems in the future too.

I can see it kicking off over the Falklands again in my lifetime, but obviously not leading to a world war.

I've voted yes, as I have little faith in human kind not to royally fuck things up for themselves. The only difference being that, in the past, these horrors only affected a comparatively small area compared to the potential global effects of a couple of well placed nukes.

Thing is, all of humankinds achievements, all of it's innovations, have come as a result of conflict. Bigger, more complicated machines to kill more people or to savage the planet with. He may toy with the idea of peace, but his heart and soul is in his weapons.

So, war? Of course, it's the human way.

How many here would volunteer to fight? If your way of life, your children's future was jeopardised would you step forward to preserve it? I might start a poll if I can be arsed

I would, but only in the circumstances you describe. If survival and freedoms were at stake. Technically fighting against the Nazis in WWII you had very little to lose because they were either going to kill you in battle or kill you when they arrived.

A conventional war on the scale of WWII would actually be very good for the economy and the working class! Just ask the cast of Happy Days.

I would, but only in the circumstances you describe. If survival and freedoms were at stake. Technically fighting against the Nazis in WWII you had very little to lose because they were either going to kill you in battle or kill you when they arrived.

A conventional war on the scale of WWII would actually be very good for the economy and the working class! Just ask the cast of Happy Days.

Good man, you can cement your manliness by voting in my poll

I dont think it will start as a Global war, but may end up as one and it will almost certainly be over resources.

Oil first closely followed by Water.

I can also see mass migration from Africa maybe the Indian subcontinent which will strain both continents.

When? 50 years or so.

Humans fight, always have always will.

Hope I'm wrong or at least have enough time to find somewhere for my family to wait it out and survive.

Yes I'm a doomer.

Your first point is a good one, it will probibly depend on the place. We hear great things about the British spirit back then but there was no doubt another side, for instance the black market and organised crime flourished back then, its ranks bolstered by a lot of deserters. I wonder how much of the bulldog spirit thing was propoganda, I'm not sure.

With regards troops, it was actually an advert for a new fly on the wall thing about Afghanistan which got me thinking about the subject. I wondered what it would look like to see the west's forces engaged against a 'real' army again like the Chinese, rather than with guerillas.

For what it's worth I personally don't think we'll see another global war. I think the planet is too interconnected and when something kicks off it will be squashed before it gets out of hand. For example I can deffo see someone setting off a nuke at some point, whether it be a Government or a group I don't know, but if and when it happens it will send shockwaves through the human race like nothing ever has done before.

Yeah I was surprised to see the amount of propaganda back then by all sides if I'm honest.

Unrelated really (and I'm sure you're aware of this already Sech) but each side claimed over 25% more shot down planes as a result of each government making up numbers but also the Pilots claiming more numbers than they should.

Bit naive for me not to have guessed it went on back then too, to be honest.

No chance. Too many robust safeguards are in place to make sure it never happens again (EU, NATO, China wanting $$$).

Cyber-warfare is another thing entirely and I can see that happening in the next 5-10 years easily on some minor level. The wikileaks fallout was enough to show how the US are developing means of paralysing infrastructure already. The future will be about the scale of systems it chooses to target and bring down.

We won't have to fight a future global war, just survive it's after-effects.

Past world wars have been caused by emerging powers (Germany, japan etc) looking to take control of the resources necessary (oil, iron etc) to sustain growth, and the established powers (Britain, france etc) trying to preserve their dominant position. If the chinese try to influence or even gain control of areas which the usa has spent the past 60 years bringing under control (middle east) then conflict is inevitable. All nations know that following a world war the world map is re-drawn- new countries created, areas of conflict occupied and raped of resources. This is why so many countries are eager to get involved once it kicks off (america being a classic example from previous wars)- despite the inevitable loss of life, they don't want to miss out when the spoils are divvied up. A war with the chinese would be unwinnable, as mao said on the subject of america's nuclear arsenal 'if they kill a billion of us- then what? They won't invade because there will still be a billion of us left to fight'. In war, numbers count, and the chinese have a near limitless supply of canon fodder.

How many here would volunteer to fight? If your way of life, your children's future was jeopardised would you step forward to preserve it? I might start a poll if I can be arsed

I'd fucking love to. I love a good fight, and what wrong minded cunt would pass up an opportunity to shoot people and not only get away with it, but get a medal for it. Unfortunately I'm too old, so I will just have to wait for the glorious day.