You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Centre Backs

Deepz

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% on this but is Cahill now into the last year of his contract?

If so, come January, if it's looking like they will stay up, they'll be happy to take a cut-price fee for him. 7 mil perhaps? It's incredibly early I know, but my initial impressions on Coates aren't good. We're still short there.

It was that mentality that had Keegan rejecting Sami!

Have not seen the incident in detail so can't really comment, did it happen due to:

1. A rush of blood

2. Caught out of position

3. Getting done for pace

i didn't see it - but all of the above probably

we should've bought a Carra 'replacement' in the summer - instead we bought for the future (just like Henderson)

don't really understand those slating Gary Cahill in this thread cos he is a good defender imo

It was that mentality that had Keegan rejecting Sami!

Heres hoping the lad becomes half the player Sami was for us.

As I said, incredibly early to make a definitve judgement but first impressions are important.

I vividly remember knowing after his first game that Ryan Babel wouldn't be good enough. Saying that I thought Josemi looked quite good after one game!

Our defence has looked woeful basically since Benitez left. It looks unorganised as fuck.

Personally I'd bin them all off bar the new lad. Coates + a new player for me.

I don't want any organisers in there who scream and shout but ship a stupid goal each game. I don't want a sicknote that you can't rely on for half the season. I don't want a brainless 'hard man' that gets consistently beaten in the air and is muscled off the ball by Jermaine Defoe.

I want someone of the calibre of Sami Hyppia in there. Fuck signing anymore Jordan Hendersons or Andy Carrolls for twelfty hundred million, just get a little diamond in at the back that we can start to build a team around.

The only thing i'd take issue with there is the defence going to pot when Rafa left. It was Sami leaving when the problems started at the back, plus Arbeloa left that summer and Aurelio was injured for most of the next season - and we've been mostly a defensive shambles ever since. Agger's good when he comes in and then gets injured again.

I think, when fit, Agger and Skrtel should be given a run together up to January. I know Skrtel isn't the best, but maybe he's not comfortable playing so deep, which we inevitably seem to be doing with Carragher in the defence. Coates doesn't look quick enough to play a high line either but his age will allow him to develop a good reading of the game like Hyppia had.

You didn´t watch 08/09 season or 2nd half of last season? These periods were about Carragher and Skrtel and Funnily they were our best periods during last 5 years.

You didn´t watch 08/09 season or 2nd half of last season? These periods were about Carragher and Skrtel and Funnily they were our best periods during last 5 years.

I just wonder what your reaction would be if we signed Hamsik or something!

Have you ever made a post that wasn't about Marty? (not that I disagree with you, mind)

I just wonder what your reaction would be if we signed Hamsik or something!

Have you ever made a post that wasn't about Marty? (not that I disagree with you, mind)

I don´t like Hamsik very much. He is good player but overrated. It´s not that I think that what comes out of Slovakia is great, it´s the opposite. I like Skrtel as a player and Was my favourite slovak player before he came to Anfield. And with me supporting LFC for almost 20 years ( I am 33 now) it was real joy for me. And as I feel that he gets too much stick on here,often undeserved, I have the need to defend him. Maybe if people would be more objective to him ( also on other forums) I wouldn´t make so many posts about him. But it´s not popular to rate Skrtel....

And yes, I post also on different topics... I think that maybe 50% of my posts are on other topics, don´t have exact numbers.;)

The only thing i'd take issue with there is the defence going to pot when Rafa left. It was Sami leaving when the problems started at the back, plus Arbeloa left that summer and Aurelio was injured for most of the next season - and we've been mostly a defensive shambles ever since. Agger's good when he comes in and then gets injured again.

Trading Arbeloa for Johnson and the associated tactical changes is what ultimately killed us. Carragher and Johnson complemented each other so poorly it became a mental thing.

Actually thought Coates was shaky last night but benefit of the doubt as he is young and early doors.

I can remember a few of his mistakes but can't remember anything he did well.

I don't think he is ready and would be unfair if he came in and we struggle to win games.

We need an experienced CB like Cahill in January to replace James next season. Fact.

Coates was a little bit shaky but I've seen alot worse debuts at the back. In fact, I'm quite encouraged with how he looked.

Similar to Henderson, the lad has had a tough enough start but theres been glimpses of real quality there.

You just have to allow alot of time for younger lads to settle. More experienced pros, less so.

I'd put Wilson or Wisdom in there as a parter for Coates.

I'd be much happier to see mistakes from a young lad, than mistakes from a couple of older lads who SHOULD know better.

No time for Skrtel at all, he all but pissed in our faces against Spurs. Last straw.

You must be kind of dick aren´t you?

Skrtel puts in first bad performance since january and suddenly is dogshit again? It´s embarrasing.

Yes, I did watch the 08/09 season. Like I've been watching this team alot for the last 30 seasons or so. Based on this my judgement is that your mate Martin is extremely far from being good enough at the level we want to compete.

Actually thought Coates was shaky last night but benefit of the doubt as he is young and early doors.

I can remember a few of his mistakes but can't remember anything he did well.

I don't think he is ready and would be unfair if he came in and we struggle to win games.

We need an experienced CB like Cahill in January to replace James next season. Fact.

He needed replacing this season, though.

If Coates isn't ready then the scouts have fucked up. We've already got Wilson and Wisdom who are good CB prospects but not ready yet - why did we need another one?

We needed someone who could go straight in the team so we're going to need that from Coates, although it's tough on him to expect him to come straight in. If he's not ready then the club have fucked up.

[/b]

You must be kind of dick aren´t you?

Skrtel puts in first bad performance since january and suddenly is dogshit again? It´s embarrasing.

Why would anyone expect Skrtel to do a job at right back up against one of the best, fastest left wingers around with no protection in front of him? I knew before the game he'd get rinsed.

Look what Downing did to him in 08/09. The lad isn't a right back. He's a half decent Premiership centre back, no more no less.