You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Centre Backs

Deepz

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pistonbroke
Skrtle is not a shit centre half just a shit right back.

I wouldn't say he is a shit centre half either, but he is far from being good enough. He is a liability in the way he gives cheap free kicks away and i dare say he'll give a few pens away this season if he continues to pull on shirts whilst defending set pieces. He has very little pace and his tactical positioning is not that hot. Trouble is we have to play him if Agger and Kelly are injured. Wilson isn't good enough and Carra is just not the player he was. Hopefully young Coates will fulfil his potential and Kelly/Agger will be fit enough to form a steady partnership with him. Carra needs easing out and used in easier games to give others a rest. We definitely need to buy another centre half and I would sell Skyrtel to free up money/wages to do so.

Said it in the Summer, we needed a top class centre-back to come straight into the side(Cahill), and another as backup(Coates). Starting the season with a clearly over the hill Carra, and Danny Agger was a bit naive imo.

It really should have been a priority for us but even when we did sign someone we left it until late on and he's a kid who's going to take time to settle anyway.

Exactly. And we're paying the price.

Skrtel isn't good enough. Carragher is no longer reliable.

Andre Wisdom and Coates would be an awesome partnership in the future. I still think Agger and Carragher are our best bets at the moment however.

Definitely agree with Wisdom, but I haven't seen enough of Coates to say.

We needed an established centre back to tide us over for a couple of years while our young CB's can be blooded in at their own pace.

For me, Carragher is now too detrimental to the way we play, and to how deep we defend as a team. Skrtel should be back up and Agger isn't going to play 20 games without getting injured. If he managed 10 it'd make a change.

I hope we go balls-deep with Gary Cahill.

His marking on the weekend was beyond atrocious and the less said about him v us and Man Utd the better. He's not helped surrounded by the likes of Robinson and Knight but equally are they making him look better than he really is? I'm not sure what his good attributes are meant to be, he just looks alright at a few things.

Now I know this is just agents talk, but Agger's agent says Agger might have problems getting back in time for the next internationals, which is next month, so seems he could be out for a while.

Link (In Danish): Ekstra Bladet - Agent: Kapløb med tiden for Agger

He had his scan today and again according to his agent, he broke 2 ribs and is out for atleast 4 weeks, then he can start running again.

Link (In Danish): Ekstra Bladet - Agger har brækket to ribben

Would be Agger + one from what I have seen so far.

Can't judge anything about Coates in that Spurs game, was just a freak match and he couldn't do anything about it. Thought his yellow was harsh, I thought he got the ball?!

But for me Carragher, Skrtel and Coates are fighting to partner Agger. Then again if Agger is injured...

If Agger is out for 4 weeks + and only after that will be resuming training then we will see him at Christmas if lucky.

Skrtel was a disgrace on Sunday, but he was played out of position, against one of the paciest wingers around.. I hate people screaming once again that he is not good enough although he didn´t play single league game at CB in this season. He was excellent at RB against Bolton and ok against Stoke. Now he had a mare at RB and he is again shitty central half

Short memory works again for Martin, as people again seem to ignore how immense he was at CB since January until the end of season under Kenny and Clarke.