You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Centre Backs

Deepz

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HE. IS. FUCKING. SHITE.

That is what I think.

Of course, you may have a different opinion, but though it may come as a shock to you, I have not, in fact, been diagnosed with memory problems.

I think he is a terrible CB and has been for the past 2-3 years, I think he gives Koscielny and Djurou a fight for the most clueless CB in the league.

That is my opinion. Can you accept without questioning my memory, you tit?

I can accept it you piece of shit.

If your memory works o.k. then there must be something wrong with your eyes.

Saw Kuyt's goal last night and then promptly fell asleep so thought we'd won 2-0 seeing as there was so little time left. It was only when I caught SSN this morning that I saw it was 2-1, Carra again giving away a penalty.

Have not seen the incident in detail so can't really comment, did it happen due to:

1. A rush of blood

2. Caught out of position

3. Getting done for pace

If this happening against the likes of Brighton then he needs easing out but with Agger out and Martin displaying classic signs of shell shock whenever an atacker comes near him we need to spend big come Janaury.

We need some Kraut steel and efficency at the back.

Proven world class. Give them what they want. We've already seen that Kenny is not afraid to admit he ballsed up. He tried the all English players in the squad tactic against Spurs and we got bent over and done prison style, he won't go Englsih to get a world class defender.

he won't go Englsih to get a world class defender.

We had a look in the summer and the likes of Shawcross and Gary Cahill were being touted for fees of upwards of £15m. These are just decent centre halves, they're never going to be great. And Ferguson nipped in for Jones for that sort of fee and that was our main target.

It's time to move Agger on and replace him with someone who can stay fit. I don't have faith in any of our other centre halves - not including Coates who I haven't seen enough of to judge. For me, Carra and Skrtel should be back-up players now, not first choice. But we need to get someone else in for that to be the case.

Saw Kuyt's goal last night and then promptly fell asleep so thought we'd won 2-0 seeing as there was so little time left. It was only when I caught SSN this morning that I saw it was 2-1, Carra again giving away a penalty.

Have not seen the incident in detail so can't really comment, did it happen due to:

It happened due to a horrendous bit of play from Spearing leaving Carra with hardly any option really. Defo not his fault this one and he was excellent last night.

It happened due to a horrendous bit of play from Spearing leaving Carra with hardly any option really. Defo not his fault this one and he was excellent last night.

He had no option but to dive into the challenge when he had defenders behind him?

He certainly did have options. He chose the wrong one. Unfortunately, when you get old and slow you have to make up pace with desperation.

Spearing put him in a tough position but Carra, and no one else, conceded that penalty.

Thats the way I saw it as well. Spearing should conceeded the corner instead of trying to do what he did. Overall Carra was very good last night.

He had no option but to dive into the challenge when he had defenders behind him?

He certainly did have options. He chose the wrong one. Unfortunately, when you get old and slow you have to make up pace with desperation.

Spearing put him in a tough position but Carra, and no one else, conceded that penalty.

I've criticised him more than anyone on here recently but there was nothing wrong with him last night at all.

I've criticised him more than anyone on here recently but there was nothing wrong with him last night at all.

Before the penalty, he made no glaring errors. But, the penalty is a glaring error.

How can you say nothing wrong? Carra is experienced enough to know that you only leave your feet in the area when you are certain you'll make the tackle. He did not have to slide in. It was a mistake that cost us a goal. I'll criticise him for nothing else because he didn't do anything else wrong. But to say that that was not a big mistake is just factualy inaccurate.

Before the penalty, he made no glaring errors. But, the penalty is a glaring error.

How can you say nothing wrong? Carra is experienced enough to know that you only leave your feet in the area when you are certain you'll make the tackle. He did not have to slide in. It was a mistake that cost us a goal. I'll criticise him for nothing else because he didn't do anything else wrong. But to say that that was not a big mistake is just factualy inaccurate.

Stick to cricket.

Are people really trying to tell other people that Carra was not at fault for the penalty, despite him being the one who fouled the player in the box to give away the penalty?

Right, I've think I've seen every possible excuse wheeled out now.

He did have a quite solid game overall though. Against Brighton. Even then, we were still lucky not to concede earlier.

We had a look in the summer and the likes of Shawcross and Gary Cahill were being touted for fees of upwards of £15m. These are just decent centre halves, they're never going to be great. And Ferguson nipped in for Jones for that sort of fee and that was our main target.

It's time to move Agger on and replace him with someone who can stay fit. I don't have faith in any of our other centre halves - not including Coates who I haven't seen enough of to judge. For me, Carra and Skrtel should be back-up players now, not first choice. But we need to get someone else in for that to be the case.

I'm not 100% on this but is Cahill now into the last year of his contract?

If so, come January, if it's looking like they will stay up, they'll be happy to take a cut-price fee for him. 7 mil perhaps? It's incredibly early I know, but my initial impressions on Coates aren't good. We're still short there.

I think, when fit, Agger and Skrtel should be given a run together up to January. I know Skrtel isn't the best, but maybe he's not comfortable playing so deep, which we inevitably seem to be doing with Carragher in the defence.

Coates doesn't look quick enough to play a high line either but his age will allow him to develop a good reading of the game like Hyppia had.

Coates reads the game very well and we've seen it yesterday as well.

Just can't get my head around people already suggesting he's not ready or isn't all that. I'd have him ahead of Skrtel, a proven liability in the XI every day of the week. At least when Coates inevitably fucks up due to inexperience, we know he's learning from it rather than just adding another fuck up to a scarily long list of fuck ups that he'll never learn from like Skrtel.

Agger and Coates should be our first CB pairing unless Coates really struggles, and I don't think he will.

There seems to be a perception that Coates was signed as one for the future. I don't think so, he'll cement his place in the first team this season. The fact that Carra was playing on the left of central defence yesterday for the first time in ages and not Coates is telling.

Our defence has looked woeful basically since Benitez left. It looks unorganised as fuck.

Personally I'd bin them all off bar the new lad. Coates + a new player for me.

I don't want any organisers in there who scream and shout but ship a stupid goal each game. I don't want a sicknote that you can't rely on for half the season. I don't want a brainless 'hard man' that gets consistently beaten in the air and is muscled off the ball by Jermaine Defoe.

I want someone of the calibre of Sami Hyppia in there. Fuck signing anymore Jordan Hendersons or Andy Carrolls for twelfty hundred million, just get a little diamond in at the back that we can start to build a team around.