You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso : The Big Interview 10pm Sunday LFCTV

8jordan8

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the interview and thought Alonso handled himself well but like i said regardless of how popular he was/is it still seems strange giving ex players air time on the offal channel.

He was a key part of our European Cup winning squad in Istanbul. Personally I think it's fantastic that we can still have that sort of relationship with former players.

Torres could learn a lesson of humility and respect from Xabi.

To be honest mate its only petty because Alonso was and still is a superb player but it just seemed strange that we did an interview with him and then asked why he left.

We all know why he left and that was due to Rafa deciding on Barry being better for the system he had planned.

It's just things have moved on so why bring something back into the public eye of the Liverpool fans.

Why not do an interview with Mascherano as he just like Alonso wanted to go back to Spain and engineered his move to do so.

Mascherano just like Alonso refused to play for the club and moved to what they percieved a bigger and better club (in our current state its safe to say they were right).

Its obviously just me but whilst i think Alonso is a superb player i don't hold him on the lofty pedastal many clearly do and there is a few things with his departure he didn't mention last night.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread for obvious reasons, but no one seems to have mentioned the single main reason this interview will have happened so i thought I would. Commercial sense. They will have got good advertising revenue and new members joining up just to see it. As much as we'd like to think LFC TV was brought about to keep us informed, it was brought about to make money, and it will have achieved that with this interview, while also teasing the fans into thinking that some day Alonso may come back to us.

I haven't watched it so I've no idea what was said, but I'd imagine nothing new.

Coop, I dont get the animosity but each to there own.

Mascherano wanted out cos he's a rat, Xabi wanted out cos the manager tried to sell him to anyone who'd take him for Gareth Barry.

Personally i think there was more to the Mascherano leaving then meets the eye.

Maybe the full story of that will come out one day.

Rafa made a mistake in trying to sell Alonso (even though as its been pointed out he was probably the only player we could make a profit on).

Alonso again as its been pointed out could have easily stayed if he wanted to.

Relationship with the manager was only part of the reason for him leaving not the only one.

Somebody asking whether or not we are going to give Torres an interview next week? Can't be arsed going to the previous page to find out who it is, but you're a whopper.

Torres' chances of that definitely eroded when he claimed it was time for him finally move onto a big club.

Claire Rourke is hardly Jeremy Paxman and apart from making it obvious she wanted Xabi's babies we didnt learn anything new . Didn't have any issue with him giving an interview or anything he said . See some of the rags are making something of the fact he said he didn't rule out a return to Anfield to keep Claire sweet. I'd have him back tomorrow but ain't going to happen unfortunately.

Class player and a truly class man, no heirs or graces with him, he looked really humbled and excited when they spoke about the King.

No matter what anyone says he looks like he really does love the club and city, he's even trying to bring his son up as a Liverpool fan!!

No coincidence that the fans (most of) and all the players still love him and always will.

Good luck Xabi.

Coop, I dont get the animosity but each to there own.

Mascherano wanted out cos he's a rat, Xabi wanted out cos the manager tried to sell him to anyone who'd take him for Gareth Barry.

I disagree with this statement that seems to be a loosely thrown at Mascherano.

He always stated that he was leaving so his family could settle into a culture they were comfortable with. I'm sorry, but if it meant me choosing between Liverpool Football Club and keeping my family together, then LFC would lose out.

The way he went about it wasn't great, but it appears the club were willing to renege on a deal that had been agreed 12 months earlier. Something that seemed to be happening on a regular basis at one point. However we have no need to worry about that anymore.

Neither side did themselves any favors at the time, and I believe Roy handled it all wrong too.

I generally feel that these interviews are best left to retired players. Not that I mind hearing from players such as Xabi now, the demand is clearly there and LFCTV need to try and keep people viewing over the summer. I just wish the channel didn't ask him if he'd consider coming back.

I don't think it's right for an official club entity of any kind to fuel that kind of speculation as it bypasses the manager.