You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The FSG model.

Code

Its doing my head in whenever someone uses this argument as some kind of label of truth when it comes to what we are going to do regarding players etc.

Our owners have been here less than a year and we have had one January transfer window so far so how does anyone know what this "model" is like?

The fact is no one knows what this "FSG model" is like, so please stop using it as some kind of label of truth to back up your own opinions when all people actually do is speculate about what it might be.

I don't fully agree with what people are saying regarding how we'll be approaching deals but I think you are doing many a disservice here. Most, rightly or wrongly, will also have included other factors like what they've done for the Red Sox and things they've said more than just the two January dealings.

Most people speculate about the model as being one where the club sign young up-and-coming types with a resale value. I don't know what FSG's exact model is either, but I would say that a player's hunger and desire will be a more desirable asset than their age. As for the resale value argument, Liverpool is and should be a club striving for trophies, not a finishing school for young players to take their skills elsewhere once they've had enough. We need to put an end to the revolving door policy of the past decade.

I hate baseball but the NESV model with the Red Sox is not to be a feeder club but to know when to cash in on a player (even a fan favorite) when the time is right and you know it will not harm the team.

Splash out on players who you think will be stars, cash in when you know it is right, sign up and coming players, and sign older players who are not stars but think they can bring something to the table.

But with the Red Sox they know baseball and live in the same city whereas with Liverpool they are relying on other people, don't live in the area, and really probably are not football fans. They probably have a vision of what they want but it will be much harder.

I don't really think you can use the current signings to judge their model yet either, they were made under special circumstances. Certainly if Suarez fits the model we have a lot to look forward too.

It's the rumours and gossiping that are the problem as it just creates confusion, worry anger, speculation and unrest. As KD said, we'll know when there is something to know.

I hope there isn't some kind of model whereby certain players are discounted based on policy. Gary Mac?

So do I, the day we sign players based on a speculative resale value instead of quality I`ll ask serious questions.

Guest San Don
So do I, the day we sign players based on a speculative resale value instead of quality I`ll ask serious questions.

Not if we've racked up a few Premier League titles you wont.

Let's be honest here, if FSG's 'model' 'methodology' or whatever else anyone wants to call it brings titles successes, we wont be worrying about not signing another Gary Mac (your baldy head!).

Its doing my head in whenever someone uses this argument as some kind of label of truth when it comes to what we are going to do regarding players etc.

Our owners have been here less than a year and we have had one January transfer window so far so how does anyone know what this "model" is like?

The fact is no one knows what this "FSG model" is like, so please stop using it as some kind of label of truth to back up your own opinions when all people actually do is speculate about what it might be.

watermelon-of-pain.gif

Thats rubbish though Code. You are contradicting yourself there.

If there is no quality, there won't be a resale value. And that is the whole point. If the players we sign turn out to be top quality ones, they will have a top resale value. It doesn't mean we will sell them (well, I hope not anyway) but it will just mean that if they want to go (Torres), we will get top notch money for them.

Brownie made a fantastic point about Gary Mac. But we have to remember he didn't cost us £10m, he was free.

Resale value only comes into play when you pay a large transfer fee. For a free transfer like McAllister or Babbel it's a matter of whether they're worth their wages (and sign on fees).

If we gamble on free transfers, the contracts need to be short.

Thats rubbish though Code. You are contradicting yourself there.

If there is no quality, there won't be a resale value. And that is the whole point. If the players we sign turn out to be top quality ones, they will have a top resale value. It doesn't mean we will sell them (well, I hope not anyway) but it will just mean that if they want to go (Torres), we will get top notch money for them.

Brownie made a fantastic point about Gary Mac. But we have to remember he didn't cost us £10m, he was free.

Not sure I`m with you there.

I said speculative resale value instead of quality(read proven quality).

A young player can be, just a promising youngster and still cost a fortune, we have loads of examples of that and no one knows how he will turn out in the end so the resale value factor will be purely speculative.

One of my mantras in football is that you usually have to look at/use short term options on the way to gain long term success.

If we knock back a proven player going into his 30`s with easily 3-4 years left in him at the top level and instead go for someone who is promising but not as good because of his speculative resale value a few years down the line, especially in a key position, then thats not something I would agree with and I cant see how that is contradicting at all, I dont do contradictions.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Guest ShoePiss

But they can have resale value and be established top class players. Anyway it's not going to be black and white is it? I'd expect us just to pay less for a top class player that is at 29-30 than we would for a top class player at 23.

Not sure I`m with you there.

I said speculative resale value instead of quality(read proven quality).

A young player can be, just a promising youngster and still cost a fortune, we have loads of examples of that and no one knows how he will turn out in the end so the resale value factor will be purely speculative.

One of my mantras in football is that you usually have to look at/use short term options on the way to gain long term success.

If we knock back a proven player going into his 30`s with easily 3-4 years left in him at the top level and instead go for someone who is promising but not as good because of his speculative resale value a few years down the line, especially in a key position, then thats not something I would agree with and I cant see how that is contradicting at all, I dont do contradictions.

Resale value is always speculative. 99% of the time, unless we are talking about Messi (even then, he can get injured so the "value" is probably always speculative).

And yes, I agree, if a player is in early 30s and is absolute quality and if the manager wants him, I hope FSG will listen to the manager and do everything they can to get that player. However, the key is the price. If the manager wants to spend £20m on a player who is 30, and if FSG refuse, I would at least understand the reason. However, if a Gary Mac becomes available for free or a 30 year old proven quality player becomes available for, say, less than £10m, I hope they get the player if the manager really needs him. I'm sure they will (at least I hope).

Take Joe Cole or Robbie Keane or Jovanovic for example. They are not top quality of course but even if they are, do you think there will be a club ready to spunk £20m on any of them? Then pay £5m/year on top as wages? I doubt it. No sensibly run club would even think about doing that. City probably will, no doubt. But if we have to run sensibly with the revenue we generate and successfully, we have to have a decent model in place. However speculative it might be. If Bale was put on the market for £35m tomorrow, I bet Spurs receive couple of enquiries within 24 hours. Just like an Augero or Hazard for example. But, again, the resale value is still speculative as Hazard might turn out to be absolute rubbish in the English league and might go straight into the market in a year. There is more chance of a player increasing the resale value (and hence being a top quality player) if the player is less than 25 or 26 rather than over 30. The key is always the price. As always.

Resale value is always speculative. 99% of the time, unless we are talking about Messi (even then, he can get injured so the "value" is probably always speculative).

And yes, I agree, if a player is in early 30s and is absolute quality and if the manager wants him, I hope FSG will listen to the manager and do everything they can to get that player. However, the key is the price. If the manager wants to spend £20m on a player who is 30, and if FSG refuse, I would at least understand the reason. However, if a Gary Mac becomes available for free or a 30 year old proven quality player becomes available for, say, less than £10m, I hope they get the player if the manager really needs him. I'm sure they will (at least I hope).

Take Joe Cole or Robbie Keane or Jovanovic for example. They are not top quality of course but even if they are, do you think there will be a club ready to spunk £20m on any of them? Then pay £5m/year on top as wages? I doubt it. No sensibly run club would even think about doing that. City probably will, no doubt. But if we have to run sensibly with the revenue we generate and successfully, we have to have a decent model in place. However speculative it might be. If Bale was put on the market for £35m tomorrow, I bet Spurs receive couple of enquiries within 24 hours. Just like an Augero or Hazard for example. But, again, the resale value is still speculative as Hazard might turn out to be absolute rubbish in the English league and might go straight into the market in a year. There is more chance of a player increasing the resale value (and hence being a top quality player) if the player is less than 25 or 26 rather than over 30. The key is always the price. As always.

KermitNod.gif

I hope there isn't some kind of model whereby certain players are discounted based on policy. Gary Mac?

I hope their policy is try to to only sign value for money players and not piss away millions on reknowned cackers. It's not how old they are it's how good they are as you rightly point out.

If we do sign free players or older ones though, we should go for shorter contracts with options to renew based on performance. Getting bad players off the wage bill is as difficult as finding good ones on the cheap.

Edited by zigackly