You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ah, the old "I might not agree with you shoving your cock up your dogs shit-sleeve but I'll fight to the death to let you do it!"

Fairly sure that the woman who was the subject of that thread was a receiver of dick rather than a giver. I think if you're going to keep impersonating a woman in the Internet, you ought to at least be aware of basic anatomical stuff like that.

Fairly sure that the woman who was the subject of that thread was a receiver of dick rather than a giver. I think if you're going to keep impersonating a woman in the Internet, you ought to at least be aware of basic anatomical stuff like that.

You were obviously afk commiting some kind of bestiality when I stated in numerous threads I'm a gay male. Negged for being an insufferable dickhead.

I'll second that, a great writer and Altered Carbon is one of my very favourite books.

I'm reading The Passage by Justin Cronin at the moment, a cracking modern vampire novel with fantastic characterisation.

I really enjoyed the first three of Orson Scott Card's Ender Series, that is Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. The first one in particular is up there with the best of Sci-Fi in that those components are secondary to magnificent characters and storylines. The series goes on after that and whilst still enjoyable (I've read 7 of the 11 published so far) they're not a patch on the first one.

Finally, the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman is a fabulous piece of work. There are a few threads on here about it I think, worth a search to see what people have said about them in a much better way than I can!

The Passage is a great read. A cross between The Stand, Cell and a bit of Dark Tower. It borrows a lot from King but it's up there with his best.

I'm not familiar with too many of the Authors you cited but if you have any interest in scifi I'd recommend some of Richard Morgan's novels. He's a pretty new author debuting in 2002 with

Altered Carbon which is a gripping scifi manhunt story with oodles of violence and a cracking alternative world he's created

or his standalone sequel (same main character) Broken Angels

The Passage is a great read. A cross between The Stand, Cell and a bit of Dark Tower. It borrows a lot from King but it's up there with his best.

Agree with all of this (meant to quote Karl here too). Richard Morgan is superb. Also, Dennis Lehane's crime fiction is fucking brilliant. Gone Baby, Gone is a good place to start. Two really good fantasy ( for want of a better word) trilogies I've recently loved are The Lies of Locke Lamorra by Scott Lynch (third one isn't out yet) and The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Both are really gritty with great characters and page turning plots without being geeky. Also, Iain M. Banks' Culture novels are fucking boss. The Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell are also great, despite being a little formulaic. Basically Sharpe is at war with everyone - including his own side - during the Napoleonic wars, and yet he comes out on top by being really fucking hard (and also quite clever).

Agree with all of this (meant to quote Karl here too). Richard Morgan is superb. Also, Dennis Lehane's crime fiction is fucking brilliant. Gone Baby, Gone is a good place to start. Two really good fantasy ( for want of a better word) trilogies I've recently loved are The Lies of Locke Lamorra by Scott Lynch (third one isn't out yet) and The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Both are really gritty with great characters and page turning plots without being geeky. Also, Iain M. Banks' Culture novels are fucking boss. The Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell are also great, despite being a little formulaic. Basically Sharpe is at war with everyone - including his own side - during the Napoleonic wars, and yet he comes out on top by being really fucking hard (and also quite clever).

I've seen you mention Dennis Lehane a few times on here Paul, and I agree he is fucking great. I thought his last Kenzie/Gennaro book Moonlight Mile was a little bit dissapointing; not enough Bubba.

If we are talking crime series there are a few which I feel are equal or better to Lehane. I'll include a link to the first book in the series and the Wiki page.

The Charlie Parker books by John Connolly are better in my opinion. Beautifully written.

First book Every Dead Thing: Amazon.co.uk: John Connolly: Books

Wiki John Connolly (author) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As mentioned by me and a few others James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels are ace. The standard I compare others to.

First book The Neon Rain: Amazon.co.uk: James Lee Burke: Books

Wiki James Lee Burke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert B.Parker's Spenser Novels. Must be nearly 40 books spanning from 1973 to this 2011 ( he died last year sadly )

First book The Godwulf Manuscript: Amazon.co.uk: Parker: Books

Wiki Robert B. Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All of the above are better than Lehane, I think.

Equal, or nearly as good as him I would say :

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels.

First Book Amazon.co.uk: the black echo: Books

Wiki Michael Connelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar Books.

First Book Deal Breaker: Amazon.co.uk: Harlan Coben: Books

Wiki Harlan Coben - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert Crais Elvis Cole/Joe Pike novels ( a personal favourite )

First Book The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole Novels): Amazon.co.uk: Robert Crais: Books

Wiki Robert Crais - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lawrence Block, Matthew Scudder novels.

First Book The Sins of the Fathers: Amazon.co.uk: Lawrence Block: Books

Wiki Lawrence Block - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Donald Harstad, Carl Houseman books.

First book Eleven Days: Amazon.co.uk: Donald Harstad: Books

Wiki Donald Harstad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I own every one of the books by those authors, took me years to collect them all. They are all well worth collecting.

One of the best books I've read in recent times, actually one of the best books I've ever read no less, is Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.

Highly, highly recommended.

Awesome read.

My favourite Vonnegut is Cat's Cradle.

Also think John Irving is ace.

I've seen you mention Dennis Lehane a few times on here Paul, and I agree he is fucking great. I thought his last Kenzie/Gennaro book Moonlight Mile was a little bit dissapointing; not enough Bubba.

If we are talking crime series there are a few which I feel are equal or better to Lehane. I'll include a link to the first book in the series and the Wiki page.

The Charlie Parker books by John Connolly are better in my opinion. Beautifully written.

First book Every Dead Thing: Amazon.co.uk: John Connolly: Books

Wiki John Connolly (author) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As mentioned by me and a few others James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels are ace. The standard I compare others to.

First book The Neon Rain: Amazon.co.uk: James Lee Burke: Books

Wiki James Lee Burke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert B.Parker's Spenser Novels. Must be nearly 40 books spanning from 1973 to this 2011 ( he died last year sadly )

First book The Godwulf Manuscript: Amazon.co.uk: Parker: Books

Wiki Robert B. Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All of the above are better than Lehane, I think.

Equal, or nearly as good as him I would say :

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels.

First Book Amazon.co.uk: the black echo: Books

Wiki Michael Connelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar Books.

First Book Deal Breaker: Amazon.co.uk: Harlan Coben: Books

Wiki Harlan Coben - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert Crais Elvis Cole/Joe Pike novels ( a personal favourite )

First Book The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole Novels): Amazon.co.uk: Robert Crais: Books

Wiki Robert Crais - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lawrence Block, Matthew Scudder novels.

First Book The Sins of the Fathers: Amazon.co.uk: Lawrence Block: Books

Wiki Lawrence Block - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Donald Harstad, Carl Houseman books.

First book Eleven Days: Amazon.co.uk: Donald Harstad: Books

Wiki Donald Harstad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I own every one of the books by those authors, took me years to collect them all. They are all well worth collecting.

That really is an excellent list of crime series. I've read all the John Connolly, Michael Connelly, Harlan Coben and Robert Crais and many of the James Lee Burke, Robert B.Parker and Lawrence Block novels that you refer to.

I'll have to check out Donald Harstad. He's a new name to me but if he is any where close quality wise to the others that you listed then I won't be disappointed.

If you haven't read him then I suspect you may enjoy Joe R Lansdale's Hap Collins and Leonard Pine series