You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Right, I'm going on an Amazon spree shortly, and I need some new material.

I've pretty much read everything that my favourite authors have written, and since some of them are dead, or take about 100 years to write books, there isn't going to be anything new for a while.

So, I thought I'd list (some of) my favourite authors, and the clever clogs of the GF can peruse the list and perhaps recommend me some similar stuff, by different authors. Yeah?

Cormac McCarthy, Denis Johnson, Craig Clevenger, Stephen King, Sam Lipsyte, Bret Easton Ellis, James Ellroy, Chuck Palahniuk, JG Ballard, Jim Thompson, Peter Straub, Niall Griffiths, Ryu Murakami, Tim Willocks, Don DeLillo, Jonathan Lethem, Don Winslow.

That's a snapshot of the sort of stuff I like.

Any ideas?

Best new Horror author, in my opinion, is Adam Nevill.

Well worth hunting down his first book, which seems to be out of print :

Banquet for the Damned: Amazon.co.uk: Adam L G Nevill: Books

His latest two books are good, also :

Apartment 16: Amazon.co.uk: Adam Nevill: Books

The Ritual: Amazon.co.uk: Adam Nevill: Books

Bill Hussey is also a decent new horror author

Through a Glass, Darkly: Amazon.co.uk: Bill Hussey: Books

And the following are also very good, in the horror genre.

Mr Shivers: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Jackson Bennett: Books

Meat: Amazon.co.uk: Joseph D'Lacey: Books

Twelve by Jasper Kent is ace,

Twelve (Danilov Quintet 1): Amazon.co.uk: Jasper Kent: Books

I assume you have read the Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke? If not, start here :

The Neon Rain: Amazon.co.uk: James Lee Burke: Books

I'd also urge anyone to read the Dresden files by Jim Butcher ( might not seem to be what you are looking for, but they are absolutely superb )

Storm Front (Dresden Case Files): Amazon.co.uk: Jim Butcher: Books

Best new Horror author, in my opinion, is Adam Nevill.

Well worth hunting down his first book, which seems to be out of print :

Banquet for the Damned: Amazon.co.uk: Adam L G Nevill: Books

His latest two books are good, also :

Apartment 16: Amazon.co.uk: Adam Nevill: Books

The Ritual: Amazon.co.uk: Adam Nevill: Books

Bill Hussey is also a decent new horror author

Through a Glass, Darkly: Amazon.co.uk: Bill Hussey: Books

And the following are also very good, in the horror genre.

Mr Shivers: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Jackson Bennett: Books

Meat: Amazon.co.uk: Joseph D'Lacey: Books

Twelve by Jasper Kent is ace,

Twelve (Danilov Quintet 1): Amazon.co.uk: Jasper Kent: Books

I assume you have read the Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke? If not, start here :

The Neon Rain: Amazon.co.uk: James Lee Burke: Books

I'd also urge anyone to read the Dresden files by Jim Butcher ( might not seem to be what you are looking for, but they are absolutely superb )

Storm Front (Dresden Case Files): Amazon.co.uk: Jim Butcher: Books

I am a James Lee Burke fan too.

I havent seen him mentioned on here before but would recommend any of his novels.

Even his short stories are excellent.

Try Carl Hiassen and Harlan Coben too.

I'm not familiar with too many of the Authors you cited but if you have any interest in scifi I'd recommend some of Richard Morgan's novels. He's a pretty new author debuting in 2002 with

Altered Carbon which is a gripping scifi manhunt story with oodles of violence and a cracking alternative world he's created

or his standalone sequel (same main character) Broken Angels

I'm not familiar with too many of the Authors you cited but if you have any interest in scifi I'd recommend some of Richard Morgan's novels. He's a pretty new author debuting in 2002 with

Altered Carbon which is a gripping scifi manhunt story with oodles of violence and a cracking alternative world he's created

or his standalone sequel (same main character) Broken Angels

I'll second that, a great writer and Altered Carbon is one of my very favourite books.

I'm reading The Passage by Justin Cronin at the moment, a cracking modern vampire novel with fantastic characterisation.

I really enjoyed the first three of Orson Scott Card's Ender Series, that is Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. The first one in particular is up there with the best of Sci-Fi in that those components are secondary to magnificent characters and storylines. The series goes on after that and whilst still enjoyable (I've read 7 of the 11 published so far) they're not a patch on the first one.

Finally, the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman is a fabulous piece of work. There are a few threads on here about it I think, worth a search to see what people have said about them in a much better way than I can!

Few more I've thought of :

Anything by Neil Gaiman. Absolute Genius.

I'd start with :

American Gods: Amazon.co.uk: Neil Gaiman: Books

Good Omens wrote with Terry Pratchett is great Good Omens: Amazon.co.uk: Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett: Books

As is Neverwhere :

Neverwhere: The Author's Preferred Text: Amazon.co.uk: Neil Gaiman: Books

All worth a read :

Blood Red Rivers: Amazon.co.uk: Jean-Christophe Grange: Books

Flight Of The Storks: Amazon.co.uk: Jean-Christophe Grange: Books

A Tourist in the Yucatan: Amazon.co.uk: James McNay Brumfield: Books

And the books the films ' The Keep ' and ' Angel Heart ' are based on are must reads.

Falling Angel is ace, the following quote tells you all you need to know

Stephen King defined it as "The Exorcist rewritten by Raymond Chandler"

Falling Angel (No Exit Press 18 Years Classic): Amazon.co.uk: William Hjortsberg: Books

The Keep (Adversary Cycle): Amazon.co.uk: F. Paul Wilson: Books

I'd second the suggestions of

James Lee Burke's Robicheaux novels

George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman novels

Both are excellent series

I'd really recommend George Pelecanos who was one of writers on The Wire.

Most of his work is superb but particularly his D.C. Quartet of The Big Blowdown, King Suckerman, The Sweet Forever and Shame The Devil.

I'd second the suggestions of

James Lee Burke's Robicheaux novels

George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman novels

Both are excellent series

I'd really recommend George Pelecanos who was one of writers on The Wire.

Most of his work is superb but particularly his D.C. Quartet of The Big Blowdown, King Suckerman, The Sweet Forever and Shame The Devil.

Yes Pelecanos is excellent,i need to get back to reading a few more of his.

Obama's favourite author too.

It's not really a suggestion (well, it is...) I was exactly the same - "these are my favourite authors / subjects - what can I read next?"

But, nstead of spending a whole load of cash on books - get a Kindle instead. Then you can download books for fuck-all, and you can be a lot more adventurous in your choices. (so I understand)

'A friend' is using the kindle app on an iPad, and not paying for books has made 'him' try things that I would never have paid for. For example:

Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall O from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness

is not something I'd have paid £10 for, but for free? Sure - I'll give it a go. And it's been ace

Guest davelfc
Ive been able to torrent books onto my ipod touch,are you able to do the same with a kindle?

Absolutely, you'll need the free software 'calibre' to copy or convert them.

I've also been able to buy books and then remove the protection myself in order to read on other devices. But that's a tad more complicated.

Absolutely, you'll need the free software 'calibre' to copy or convert them.

I've also been able to buy books and then remove the protection myself in order to read on other devices. But that's a tad more complicated.

Yeah ive got and used calibre to convert PDF to epub files.

What file extensions does the kindle use?

Poor old Strontium Dog, the most miserable, pitiable, embarassing cunt on the entire website, is a tagging disaster area.

Just fyi Stronts.

So long as you keep tagging threads with offensive and libellous tags about me, you'll get them back.

You started it.

I'll start a thread to settle once and for all the question that has troubled GFkind for weeks : Is Silverlining a thick cunt?