You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Extending a wireless signal.

Acid

• 6 years later...

Will try and explain this as best as possible.

We have a virgin super hub router which is upstairs.

We have two android devices. One upstairs near the router. The other (new device) downstairs directly below the router, about 20/25 feet away. Both of them worked faultlessly today.

I have to swap the devices around. I did this and one of them (new device) stopped loading streams.

I Swapped the devices back and both worked again.

I can only assume that it has something too do with wifi signal/strength ?

What in the TNFs most valued opinion would be the best (and simplest)  solution ?

Please note that when it comes to I.T stuff I'm very, very limited so please don't use the hi-tech lingo you all talk in.

Love and peace. Dougie.

We have two android devices. One upstairs near the router. The other (new device) downstairs directly below the router, about 20/25 feet away. Both of them worked faultlessly today.

I have to swap the devices around. I did this and one of them (new device) stopped loading streams.

What in the TNFs most valued opinion would be the best (and simplest) solution ?

Please note that when it comes to I.T stuff I'm very, very limited so please don't use the hi-tech lingo you all talk in.

Love and peace. Dougie.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

What in the TNFs most valued opinion would be the best (and simplest) solution ?

Love and peace. Dougie.

Try going to were the android devices are with a mobile phone and performing a speed test using speed test.net. if you're getting good speeds then it will be down to the fact that your android boxes don't have the greatest network card in them and will be limited in the speed they can handle. If this is the case thapen you may want to either download before hand of choose a lower bit rate (size file) as your device may not be able to download quick enough for the stream you're watching.

A signal booster will extend a signal but the bandwidth will be lost so just by simply adding a booster may not achieve anything as you will find that the signal is getting to the room / area but the devices can't receive it.

Edit: solution would be connecting via Ethernet cable.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Anybody use a powerline WiFi extender, where it's plugged into the mains and connected to the router and device via an Ethernet cable?

No mate.

Any good?

I don't know, do I. I've just said, I've not got one.

Do they work?

How the fucking hell am I supposed to know, CD. Ask some cunt who knows. FFS.

Hope this helps.

Anybody use a powerline WiFi extender, where it's plugged into the mains and connected to the router and device via an Ethernet cable?

Any good? Do they work?

they are good, as long as 1)  they are on the same circuit (not as stupid as it sounds, as often houses have had lots of additional wiring added) and 2) you try to make the connections as simple as possible - in other words, plugging them straight into the wall rather than via extension leads etc.  

• Upvote 1

Any good? Do they work?

They're great. I use them at home and at my workplace. Very reliable, and on the very odd occasion they fail, you just....... wait for it.... turn them off an on again.

Much better than wifi extenders.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Reset my Virgin router to factory defaults, added two power line adaptors and it's now working like a dream.

As per my wife's rules of 'Do blue jobs well expect sexual rewards' am expecting anal at some point over the weekend.

Will keep the TNF posted.

I bought the BT whole home Wi-fi mesh system and it’s improved the signal no end.

They aren’t cheap but they do work well. Depending on how big your house you’ll need 2 or 3 discs, likely the latter to be safe.

yep, I've got this and it definitely works well

Reset my Virgin router to factory defaults, added two power line adaptors and it's now working like a dream.

As per my wife's rules of 'Do blue jobs well expect sexual rewards' am expecting anal at some point over the weekend.

Will keep the TNF posted.

She told me she's bought a strap on,or did she say 'married to?'