You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Funkasy said:

Watched the first episode of Chernobyl last night, very good acting and the horror of reality is worse then any boogeyman. Very good episode 1.

Great show ,on the the 3rd one. My God is it scary stuff. And the planet covered with these bastard things. 

• Upvote 1

Same episode I'm on.

I remember it happening as a kid and knew it wasn't good, but had no real concept of the potentially catastrophic impact it could have had.

I mean, what happened obviously wasn't good, but when the two scientists are regaling Gorbachev with the potential impact of the core either a) melting through and into the cooling pools and b) getting into the groundwater, it was utterly terrifying.

I'm also three episodes into Catch-22 - enjoying it so far, but it's not brilliant. But then again, the book is a hard act to follow.

Sadly, my inner geek is far too excited about Good Omens and His Dark Materials - both have the potential to be excellent. Please, please, please make them good!

• Upvote 1

On 23/05/2019 at 11:42, Funkasy said:

Watched the first episode of Chernobyl last night, very good acting and the horror of reality is worse then any boogeyman. Very good episode 1.

Agree completely, this is fucking excellent. Thoroughly recommend it, its a Sky/HBO joint production so in English. And the series marries up with the actual events, including what happened at the start of Ep 1.

And scary as fuck, as if what certain people didnt do, and lost thieir lives doing so, and how close it came to the other 3 reactor cores exploding - the entire Ukraine would still be uninhabitable for the next 100 odd years at least, and a lot of the planet fucked.

• 2 weeks later...

If this is done well should be excellent 

Japan's Yakuza Get 'The Sopranos' Treatment

William PesekContributor
I write about economics, markets and policymaking. throughout Asia.

Members of Japan’s largest organized crime syndicate, the Yamaguchi-gumi, gather at a funeral for their boss in Kobe, Japan, on April 20, 2002.Members of Japan’s largest organized crime syndicate, the Yamaguchi-gumi, gather at a funeral for their boss in Kobe, Japan, on April 20, 2002.

In 1999, The Sopranos wowed Americans with all the subtlety of a daylight mafia hit. Its look at the last gasps of the nation’s fabled organized crime gangs slayed viewers, while capturing the economic zeitgeist like few television shows ever had before.

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.forbes.com/sites/williampesek/2019/06/21/japans-yakuza-get-the-sopranos-treatment/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fwilliampesek%2F2019%2F06%2F21%2Fjapans-yakuza-get-the-sopranos-treatment%2Famp%2F%23referrer%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%26amp_tf%3DFrom%20%251%24s

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke
20 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Looks suitably ace. Any news when Netflix are releasing it.

The only Info so far is for late 2019, something to look forward to. Hopefully the whole series is available to binge watch at pleasure and not on a weekly basis.