You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Any decent new shows due out this year or next?

So far the two below look like they could be good.

Terra Nova (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Terra Nova :

Plot

The show begins in the year 2149, a time when all life on planet Earth is threatened with extinction. In an effort to save the human race, scientists develop a portal allowing travel 85 million years back in time to prehistoric Earth. The Shannon family (father Jim, his wife Elisabeth, and their three children Josh, Maddy and Zoe) join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first human colony on the other side of the temporal doorway. However, they are unaware that the colony is in the middle of a group of carnivorous dinosaurs.

This in particular looks good, created by Steven Speilberg.

Falling Skies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Falling Skies :

Synopsis

Falling Skies tells the story of the aftermath of an alien invasion. It follows a group of survivors who must band together in order to fight back against the invading aliens. The group, known as the 2nd Mass, is led by history professor Tom Mason who, in search of his son, must put his extensive knowledge of military history to the test as one of the leaders of the resistance movement.

• 3 weeks later...

This should be ace, I love the book; can't wait to see what HBO do with it.

HBO Adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods Will Last Six Seasons

If you like sci-fi/fantasy anything, you know who Neil Gaiman is. The man is probably best known for his wonderful Sandman comic books that he did for the DC imprint Vertigo back from 1989 to 1996. He also wrote the novel Coraline which inspired the recent Henry Selick film and wrote the Newberry Award winning children's novel The Graveyard Book. Most recently he wrote the fourth episode of series six of Doctor Who, "The Doctor's Wife," which is perhaps the most acclaimed episode of the season so far. Now, Gaiman is getting a television series of his own.

Perhaps after the success of the fantasy series Game of Thrones, adapted from George R.R. Martin's absolutely fantastic A Song of Ice and Fire, HBO has announced that it's partnering with Tom Hanks' production company Playtone to bring Gaiman's novel American Gods to film.

American Gods is primarily a fantasy novel, though it seems more akin tonally to Carnivale than to Game of Thrones. The story, which features real mythological creatures who exist because people believe in them (think Peter Pan, but darker), features an ex-convict named Shadow who meets a mysterious man named Mr. Wednesday who knows too much about him -- and offers him a job. It only gets more complex, I promise you.

The Hollywood Reporter revealed that Playtone is currently looking at six seasons of ten episodes for the series, with each season's budget being in the ballpark $35 million to $40 million range. "We'll do justice to the awe-inspiring power of divine beings," producer Gary Goetzman shared. "We’ll be doing more effects than have been done on television."

J.J. Abrams really loves islands and time travel. He has a new show on FOX called Alcatraz. Looking at IMDB this may be the season after next though.

Alcatraz (TV Series 2013) - IMDb

[YOUTUBE]J_jAlFqvASU[/YOUTUBE]

Surely that's just Lost with a slightly altered plot to include a different island.

• 4 months later...

Terra Nova is ok but really quite shit, should be cancelled soon. I've watched quite a few of the new shows out and nothings really standing out to me, Homeland has the most promise though depending on where they go with it. The best new comedy has to be "New Girl" but that's purely because it's 20 straight minutes or Zooey Deschanel per week.

I got so bored that I downloaded the first few episodes of the following:

Last Man Standing (Tim Allen in the "funny Dad" kind of role, not that funny)

Whitney (SHITE)

2 Broke Girls (SHITE)

Don't ask me why I watched the last 2, I really need a full time job.

Suits has a 9.0 on IMDB so I'm going to check out a few episodes of that tomorrow.

Terra Nova is ok but really quite shit, should be cancelled soon. I've watched quite a few of the new shows out and nothings really standing out to me, Homeland has the most promise though depending on where they go with it. The best new comedy has to be "New Girl" but that's purely because it's 20 straight minutes or Zooey Deschanel per week.

Whitney (SHITE)

2 Broke Girls (SHITE)

Suits has a 9.0 on IMDB so I'm going to check out a few episodes of that tomorrow.

Person of interest has great potential, in my opinion.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Whitney (SHITE)

2 Broke Girls (SHITE)

I check out pretty much all new TV shows from the states. Suits is very good for a legal based thing. 'Boss' started the other day, which looks like it is going to be brilliant. It was picked up for a second season before it even aired.

• 2 weeks later...

Hell on Wheels new western show starting on AMC on 06 November might be worth a look. With a track record of Mad Men, Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead I'm inclined to give any of their new shows a chance. Obviously going to be compared to Deadwood and may not stand up to that comparison.

[YOUTUBE]78zEDBmHwbU[/YOUTUBE]

Hell on Wheels new western show starting on AMC on 06 November might be worth a look. With a track record of Mad Men, Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead I'm inclined to give any of their new shows a chance. Obviously going to be compared to Deadwood and may not stand up to that comparison.

<a href="

">YouTube Link</a>

Amc crouchie?

Amc crouchie?

Probably should have clarified that Hell On Wheels is starting in the US. AMC is the US cable channel that shows Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead and the US version of The Killing. Not sure what British channel has picked up Hell On Wheels or when it will start.

New Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant show Life's Too Short starting on BBC 2 on Thursday 10 November at 9.30.

[YOUTUBE]Mn0yvPleqwc[/YOUTUBE]

• 8 months later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco
Awake was shit hot but they cancelled it. Why?!

Because it wasn't actually hot. Just shit. Nah, it wasn't shit, but where did it go from there. It was really laboured.

This first one has already started to be shown in Canada.

I imagine it will be shown in the UK at some point.

[YOUTUBE]GVlRud53QTQ[/YOUTUBE]

These next two are to be premiered in the couple of months in the States.

This first one looks like it could be the next big thing as it is from the director of Iron Man and executive producer is JJ.Abrams.

[YOUTUBE]JwfCRAtkYEI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bi3h9z1YUVc[/YOUTUBE]

• 4 months later...

I think we had another thread about upcoming shows but I could only see this one on Google. Anyway:

A&E Orders Supernatural Cop Drama Pilot OCCULT from Michael Bay | Collider

Michael Bay is expanding his television interests. The explosions feature film director recently set up a pirate drama at Starz called Black Sails, and now THR reports that he’ll produce a cop drama at A&E called Occult through his Platinum Dunes banner. The story will center on an FBI agent who has returned from administrative leave after going off the deep end while investigating his wife’s disappearance. Eager to be back on the job, he is paired with an agent with her own complicated backstory who specializes in the occult. The duo set out to solve cases as part of the newly formed occult crimes task force. James Wong, who wrote and directed the first and third Final Destination films, will pen the script. He’s no stranger to television, as he previously wrote for 21 Jump Street, The X-Files, and American Horror Story.

House of Cards (U.S. TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

House of Cards is an upcoming political drama television series developed for American television by Kevin Spacey, David Fincher and Beau Willimon. The series stars Spacey as Frank Underwood, a ruthless politician with his eye on the top job in Washington. It is an adaptation of the previous BBC miniseries of the same name. The first season will premiere on February 1, 2013.

FX's Cold War Drama 'The Americans' Gets Series Order - Deadline.com

FX has picked up its drama pilot The Americans to series with a 13-episode order. The series, starring Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys and Noah Emmerich, will begin production in October for a premiere in early 2013. The pickup comes after FX president John Landgraf indicated that The Americans will likely go to series at the network’s TCA session 10 days ago.

Created by Joe Weisberg, The Americans is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington DC shortly after Ronald Reagan is elected President. The arranged marriage of Phillip (Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Russell), who have two children who know nothing about their parents true identity, grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War and the intimate, dangerous and darkly funny relationships they must maintain with a network of spies and informants under their control. Complicating their relationship further is Phillip’s growing sense of affinity for America’s values and way of life. Tensions also heighten upon the arrival of a new neighbor, Stan (Emmerich), an FBI agent working in counter intelligence. “We’re proud to welcome The Americans, a taut series that crackles with incredible performances rooted in character perspectives never explored on a U.S. television series, to FX’s line up of quality dramas,” Landgraf said. “We’re equally excited to welcome Graham Yost’s talented young Padawan Joe Weisberg as Creator/Showrunner. He joins a long line of gifted writer/producers who have taken their first shot at greatness on FX.”

A&E Orders ‘Psycho’ Prequel Series ‘Bates Motel’

It looks as though Norman Bates will be terrorizing unlucky travelers once more, as A&E recently announced they’ve ordered a full season of Bates Motel from former Lost writer and executive producer Carlton Cuse, with the intention of having the series ready to air by 2013.

A&E joins NBC in bringing another monstrous movie murderer to the small screen to more closely examine what makes him tick. Similar to what Bryan Fuller’s upcoming Hannibal series plans to do with Hannibal Lecter, A&E’s Bates Motel will feature a younger version of Norman Bates (originally played to perfection by actor Anthony Perkins in Alfred Hitchcock’s 1960 horror masterpiece, Psycho) and place him front and center in the storyline.

The series has been described as a mash-up of Twin Peaks and Smallville – apparently for its ability to combine the bizarrely macabre with a somewhat nostalgic look at a character rapidly approaching his destiny. Bates Motel aims to investigate the relationship between Norman and his mother – or, more specifically, how Norman’s exposure to his unhinged mother and her relationships permanently sent the young man off his rocker.

Also like Hannibal, this series will be skipping the pilot phase altogether to head straight to series. Originally, Bates Motel was considered to be a six-part event with the possibility of expansion should it prove successful, but after Cuse came on board – joining former Friday Night Lights writer and producer Kerry Ehrin – the network turned the project into a 10-episode first season.

Hemlock Grove (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hemlock Grove is an upcoming American horror/thriller television series for Netflix from executive producer Eli Roth, developed by Brian McGreevy & Lee Shipman, and produced by Gaumont International Television. It is based on McGreevy's novel Hemlock Grove, which was released on March 27, 2012.[1] On March 21, 2012, Netflix announced that Hemlock Grove will be coming in early 2013

Plot

A young girl is brutally murdered and found near the former Godfrey steel mill. As rumors mount, two of the suspects in her killing--Peter Rumancek, a 17-year-old Gypsy trailer trash kid rumored to be a werewolf, and Roman, the heir to the Godfrey estate--decide to find the killer themselves.

HBO Picks Up Matthew-Woody Series 'True Detective' With Eight-Episode Order - Deadline.com

EXCLUSIVE: In a competitive situation, True Detective, an eight-part event drama series project starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, has landed at HBO with a straight-to-series order. I hear the pay cable network is finalizing a deal for an eight-episode order to the high-concept cop drama written on spec by Nic Pizzolatto, with Cary Fukunaga (Jane Eyre) on board to direct all episodes.

True Detective, which sparked heated bidding after it was taken out to the top cable networks earlier this month, is descried as an elevated serial narrative with multiple perspectives and time frames. It centers on two detectives, Rust Cohle (McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Harrelson), whose lives collide and entwine during a seventeen-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana. The investigation of a bizarre murder in 1995 is framed and interlaced with testimony from the detectives in 2012, when the case has been reopened. The concept is for the 8-episode first season to resolve the mystery at hand, with subsequent seasons using same structure but new characters and story. True Detective is gearing up to start production right away. It is ready to do so with director and stars already on board as well as two written episodes and a bible, which were part of the project’s pitch. Anonymous Content, which manages Pizzolatto and Fukunaga, developed True Detective in-house and will be producing the series for HBO. Anonymous president Paul Green negotiated the deal with the pay cable network, with the company’s Richard Brown and Steve Golin executive producing alongside Pizzolatto and Fukunaga and Bard Dorros also set to serve in some producing capacity. As part of the pickup of True Detective, HBO also has signed a development deal with Pizzolatto for other projects.

The Scoop: Zero Hour | Zero Hour TV Blog – ABC.com

As the publisher of a paranormal enthusiast magazine, Modern Skeptic, Hank Galliston has spent his career following clues, debunking myths and solving conspiracies. A confessed paranormal junkie, his motto is logic is the compass. But when his beautiful wife, Laila (Jacinda Barrett), is abducted from her antique clock shop, Hank gets pulled into one of the most compelling mysteries in human history, stretching around the world and back centuries.

Contained in one of his wife’s clocks is a treasure map, and what it leads to could be cataclysmic. Now it’s up to Hank to decipher the symbols and unlock the secrets of the map, while ensuring the answers don’t fall into the wrong hands – a man they call White Vincent (Michael Nyqvist). With his two young associates, Rachel (Addison Timlin) and Arron (Scott Michael Foster), in tow, along with Becca Riley, a sexy FBI agent (Carmen Ejogo), Hank will lead them on a breathless race against the clock to find his wife and save humanity.

• 4 weeks later...

Weird Desk

'Weird Desk': ABC Orders Paranormal Drama For 13 Episodes In Summer 2013

Based on the alleged real-life mysteries from this world and beyond, it centers on the workings of a clandestine organization rumored to be named “Weird Desk.” Working above the levels of top secret and above the office of the President, the unit is the destination for mysterious intelligence rerouted from the CIA and NSA. Tasked with investigating and solving occurrences of the paranormal, supernatural and sometimes extra-terrestrial, “Weird Desk” is led by Morgan, an obstinate, socially inept and brilliant man who would now be dead if it weren’t for his special forces trained partner, Rosetta.

Under The Dome

Stephen King’s Under The Dome TV Series Given Green Light | SFX

Stephen King’s 2009 novel Under The Dome – about a small New England town that is inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome – is set to become a 13-part TV series for CBS, to be broadcast in the summer of 2013.

The show has been commissioned straight-to-series, bypassing the usual pilot route. It will be made by Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television production company. Comic writer Brian K Vaughan has scripted the adaptation. Niels Arden Oplev – who directed the Swedish version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo – will call the shots on the first episode.

In the story, the trapped townsfolk have to work out how to survive while trying to work out what caused the dome and how to make it go away.

Crossbones

Crossbones (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crossbones is an upcoming American television drama that is expected to air on the National Broadcasting Company (NBC) during the 2012–13 television season. The show was created by Neil Cross, creator of the British television series Luther, and whose television writing credits include Spooks and Doctor Who, and is a fictional adaptation of the life of the notorious pirate Edward Teach (aka Blackbeard)[1] in and around the island of New Providence in The Bahamas.

The network announced the series in May 2012 with a straight-to-series commitment.[2] Ten episodes were ordered, with production expected to begin in fall 2012.[3][4]

The series is based on the book The Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard.

Dracula

NBC Orders 10-Episode 'Dracula' Series Starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers - Deadline.com

The story of Count Dracula is coming to the small screen. NBC has given a 10-episode straight-to-series order to Dracula, with The Tudors‘ Jonathan Rhys Meyers set to play the iconic vampire. The series, from producers Tony Krantz and Colin Callender and writer Cole Haddon, is being produced for both NBC and U.K.’s Sky Living. It was originally bought by NBC in January with a “script-to-series” commitment, meaning that it wouldn’t go through a pilot stage but straight to series if NBC brass liked the script.

Dracula is produced by Krantz’s Flame Ventures, Callender’s Playground Entertainment, Universal TV and NBCU International Prods.’ Carnival Films & Television, the company behind phenom Downton Abbey. Based on an idea by Krantz, it is set in the 1890s and has been described as “Dangerous Liaisons meets The Tudors”, which is fitting given that Tudors star Meyers has been tapped to play the title role. The new series reunites Meyers with NBC topped Bob Greenblatt who cast the Irish actor in The Tudors while running Showtime. As a producer, Greenblatt gave Meyers his first starring role in the CBS telefilm Elvis, which was overseen by Universal TV EVP Bela Bajaria, then head of CBS’ movies and miniseries division.

In the NBC/Sky Living series, Dracula (Meyers) arrives in London, posing as an American entrepreneur who maintains that he wants to bring modern science to Victorian society. In reality, he hopes to wreak revenge on the people who ruined his life centuries earlier but falls hopelessly in love with a woman who seems to be a reincarnation of his dead wife. “It is a timeless tale with relevant, surprising twists and turns with the exquisite Jonathan Rhys Meyers in the marquee role,” Bajaria said.