You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stewart Downing

RobbieOR

People need to stop making up fees. No one has a clue how much he is going to cost, or how the deal will be structured. It's pointless talking about which other players we could get for the money because, a) we might not actually be able to get them, and b) we don't know that the fee is.

And what exactly are you proving? You've said that he's better than an old player of ours who was crocked, which I don't necessarily agree with.

Maybe it's your intention to show that we can win things with Downing because Harry Kewell started the European Cup final in 2005. In which case, you wouldn't be 'proving much' because he was subbed when we were behind and hadn't scored.

Unless I've missed something (if so, please point it out), you've not got a point and you've proven very little.

At the end of the day, you've got your knickers in a twist, so pull them down sort them out, and pipe down lad!

I reckon erm... all of them... He has been playing a few years in this league with a club we all know and seem to watch.

Don't say that. He doesn't want Scott Dann. No doubt he has seen him play numerous times after all you'd think he'd apply his logic to himself.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
At the end of the day, you've got your knickers in a twist, so pull them down sort them out, and pipe down lad!

Right, so you're not going to tell me what you've proven, what your point is or why it's relevant? Good.

Not really. Scores less, less natural talent, not as good a dribbler, not quite as injured and probably cares a bit more.

Best crosser in the prem,and ideal to feed carrol good all rounder, him on left and tricky pacey winger on right only at right price though

Guest Numero Veinticinco
These transfer thread always go the same way, they're kind of quaint in a sense. They usually start with a player being mooted, reaction is often negative if they're British and the money involved is stupid (a la Crouch and more recently Carroll), then as pages drift by and it looks like we're going to get the player whether we like it or not, we almost start talking ourselves around to the idea.

A 'no way' becomes 'he's not that bad' until eventually he's a signing of potential huge significance and maybe, just maybe, all this time we just weren't aware of just how boss he really was. At this point we usually slag of Rashid or Red Nick for not wanting said player and decide that this is becuase they're somehow shallow and that their understanding of the game only extends to Pannini stickers.

What tends to happen then is that said player - who we always knew was overpriced and limited - turns out to be overpriced and limited. It's usually exposed in a big match and we're left feeling blue. We've come full circle, it's time for a cull, no more half measures, we all hate football, and all the while we lament the fact the mancs have just spent £6m on a 17-year-old Guatemalan shitbag who's tearing up more wings than that monster from the William Shatner episode of The Twilight Zone.

We quite simply need to start aiming higher. We need either top class players for top dollar, or exciting prospects. Lads who can 'do a job' can not have a place in our football vocabulary anymore or, quite simply, we don't deserve to even be called top four.

Amen to that. I feel that we've been on this merry-go-round of football transfer blandness for too long. Alonso, Reina, Mascherano, Torres, et al. all seem so far away now. Those are the quality of player we need to be aiming for (when we signed them). Even though they were being purchased at the same time, Bellamy, Pennant, Keane and the others, are still fresh in my mind.

I desperately want us to break the cycle of 'they'll add to the squad' excuses for signings that are just not good enough. Yes, Bellamy had good times; yes, Pennant has talent; yes, Keane scored goals in one calendar year; and yes, Downing is solid, and has a good cross. Some of us are saying the same things about Downing that was said about Keane, Bellamy and Pennant. I said the same thing, albeit in an era when money was far tighter and for a much lower fee, about Riera. They've got their plus points. It's not enough if we want to catch-up to the chasing pack of Spurs, Arsenal and City, over take them, and then mount a serious challenge to Chelsea and United.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm amazed by the amount of people who seem to be juan mata experts on here too. It smacks of that foirum habit of a lot of people picking up on a name and insisting that he would be the perfect player for us.

There's quite probably a hint of that regarding Mata. From my own personal perspective, I watch at least as much Spanish football as I do English, and he's very well known as a quality player in Spain.

He is being mentioned because he's the best player we've been linked with in that position. To have him and Suarez floating around in a front three would be fairly terrifying. What he won't give is out and out width, that'd have to come from the full-back.

If, by some stroke of God's cock, we could get Mata with Coentrão flying on the overlap, we'd have probably the best left-sided attack in Europe. It'd just cost about 50m+ and a defensive midfielder to cover because the space left in behind would be ridiculous.

That said, if funds don't permit that sort of spending, keeping Johnson there with Kelly on the right, we could redistribute the funds in order to buy a better class of player on the left (than Downing).

Edited by Numero Veinticinco

The time to "aim higher" was when we were in the Champion's League. Unfortunately, at that time we had the two dickheads in charge and a manager whose eye for a player had apparently gone to shit (for the most part, anyway.) Now we are out of the Champion's League we cannot hope to attract many of the top class players people want. If we are lucky we might get another Suarez type, but players like that are not easy to come by. We have to get the best players we can from the position we're in; and most importantly, the players that the manager has identified as being the best for the way that he wants to play.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The time to "aim higher" was when we were in the Champion's League. Unfortunately, at that time we had the two dickheads in charge and a manager whose eye for a player had apparently gone to shit (for the most part, anyway.) Now we are out of the Champion's League we cannot hope to attract many of the top class players people want. If we are lucky we might get another Suarez type, but players like that are not easy to come by. We have to get the best players we can from the position we're in; and most importantly, the players that the manager has identified as being the best for the way that he wants to play.

I'd sooner just add one or two 'Suarez types' in that case. We're good enough to get into the Champions League now that we've got a manager who knows what he is doing.

We've seen loads of quality players sign for clubs that were out of the European Cup and much smaller stature than we are.

He would be be a quality signing... at the right price. If we're going to be bumraped over a barrel by Villa with the fee (very likely) then why not spend a bit more and go for a younger, superior wide player? Over-paying for Carroll was understandable in the circumstances, but there's no reason we should pay the ridiculous 'English tax' on this one. Alas, I fear the lube has already been applied and we're probably just waiting for Lerner to stroke some life into his flaccid mushroom cock.

Quite simply we need wingers.

Downing is a relatively good winger who maintains a consistent level of performance, can cross a ball, has vast experience of the premier league and as an Englishman should have an idea of what Liverpool football club are about.

hodgey.jpg

"I agwee."

I'd sooner just add one or two 'Suarez types' in that case. We're good enough to get into the Champions League now that we've got a manager who knows what he is doing.

We've seen loads of quality players sign for clubs that were out of the European Cup and much smaller stature than we are.

Such as? I can only think of players who have signed for Man City, and we all know the reason for that.

No we're not as things stand

These transfer thread always go the same way, they're kind of quaint in a sense. They usually start with a player being mooted, reaction is often negative if they're British and the money involved is stupid (a la Crouch and more recently Carroll), then as pages drift by and it looks like we're going to get the player whether we like it or not, we almost start talking ourselves around to the idea.

A 'no way' becomes 'he's not that bad' until eventually he's a signing of potential huge significance and maybe, just maybe, all this time we just weren't aware of just how boss he really was. At this point we usually slag of Rashid or Red Nick for not wanting said player and decide that this is becuase they're somehow shallow and that their understanding of the game only extends to Pannini stickers.

What tends to happen then is that said player - who we always knew was overpriced and limited - turns out to be overpriced and limited. It's usually exposed in a big match and we're left feeling blue. We've come full circle, it's time for a cull, no more half measures, we all hate football, and all the while we lament the fact the mancs have just spent £6m on a 17-year-old Guatemalan shitbag who's tearing up more wings than that monster from the William Shatner episode of The Twilight Zone.

We quite simply need to start aiming higher. We need either top class players for top dollar, or exciting prospects. Lads who can 'do a job' can not have a place in our football vocabulary anymore or, quite simply, we don't deserve to even be called top four.

Would have repped you if I could

We should stick to the clubs new stated policy of buying the best available player for the available position or potentially the best available player for that position.

Downing doesnt fit into that category and if we do sign this very average player then I wll seriously have to question the people making the transfer decisions at the club yet again.

FTR if we sign him he would be like Peter Crouch being better than we thought but not the level required by this club

He would be be a quality signing... at the right price. If we're going to be bumraped over a barrel by Villa with the fee (very likely) then why not spend a bit more and go for a younger, superior wide player? Over-paying for Carroll was understandable in the circumstances, but there's no reason we should pay the ridiculous 'English tax' on this one. Alas, I fear the lube has already been applied and we're probably just waiting for Lerner to stroke some life into his flaccid mushroom cock.

hodgey.jpg

"I agwee."

Let's just hope he wears a condom, we might as well be safe if we're going to get fucked.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Such as? I can only think of players who have signed for Man City, and we all know the reason for that.

Modric, Berbatov and even younger players like Bale for 7m. That's just one club from one country. Players who are signing a 5/6 year contract don't just look at one year.

No we're not as things stand

Since Kenny took over we have been. That's without Gerrard and with Torres' replacement sidelined or recovering from injury.

Why do hardly any liverpool fans rate him? Because he played for boro?

I think your right with that statement, Stuart is a very intelligent player, he can cross the ball with pin point accuracy with both feet, this may be the exact thing we need for big Andy, not only that he can play through the middle and support our midfield when needed during games we are chasing.

he can score goals and make assist, and of course not many good left footers out there at the moment, plus he is english which is an added bonus.

I mean the man scored 7 goals and 9 assist last season in an average, or should i say a very poor villa side, I say get him now if he is available.

I never liked Downing but hes definitely improved this year I wouldnt mind if we signed him but the problem is we would have Kuyt on the other wing and the two of them together are just not good enough and lack pace.

Our other problems are Suarez and Carroll both lack pace and lets be honest so do the rest of our midfield and also Kuyt and Suarez have made a great partnership up front so where does this leave Carroll?

If it was between Downing and Elia I'd prefer Downing but honestly both should be 3rd or 4th choice at best.

Guardiola has gone on record as saying the most important thing in modern tactics is getting the best from your best players. With that said, we should be looking at players that complement Suarez and Gerrard because these are the guys making the difference in big games. We shouldn't be changing our game entirely to suit Carroll. I'd want us to give a good look at players like Sanchez, Pastore and Willian before going near proven mediocrities like Young and Downing.

Oh and if anyone uses "hard work" as a quality to recommend an attacking player again I might just explode. We've had far too much of that for the last decade.

I think your right with that statement, Stuart is a very intelligent player, he can cross the ball with pin point accuracy with both feet, this may be the exact thing we need for big Andy, not only that he can play through the middle and support our midfield when needed during games we are chasing.

he can score goals and make assist, and of course not many good left footers out there at the moment, plus he is english which is an added bonus.

I mean the man scored 7 goals and 9 assist last season in an average, or should i say a very poor villa side, I say get him now if he is available.

Yeah no one rates Adam Johnson either :whistle:

Its all to do with him playing for Boro..not that he is average.

Yeah no one rates Adam Johnson either :whistle:

Its all to do with him playing for Boro..not that he is average.

Adam Johnson was brilliant and could be brilliant again but unfortunately the money at city fucked him up on and off the pitch.

He would be a million miles better than Downing if he could fix his problems

Adam Johnson was brilliant and could be brilliant again but unfortunately the money at city fucked him up on and off the pitch.

He would be a million miles better than Downing if he could fix his problems

What are his off field problems?