You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stewart Downing

RobbieOR

I don't know what we'll pay, i'm not Nostradamus. I do know, however that we're fully aware that we'll have to pay much closer to £20M to get him. We have said we're prepared to pay it but that could be gesturing - time will tell won't it?

20 million is too much though. Considering roughly 10 million of it is "Nationality" Tax. If he wasn't english we'd be paying 12/13 million tops.

I know Villa paid a big amount for him, but that shouldn't be the basis on how much we subsequently have to pay.

Because 15-20m can buy a much better player, would be my argument.

Which one? I'm playing devil's advocate slightly here, because I think Downing is quite ordinary and wouldn't pay much more than about £10M myself.

My fear is that we pay vastly over the odds for someone like Downing and end up giving up on really good player like Mata. Because we don't have Champions League football, we'll have to really push the boat out for a player of his calibre, and I hope we do. I hope that we're in a position to do so.

I'm not really interested in how much Downing costs in isolation. Its more that we will have a finite budget. Even if we're not sure what it is. Even if the owners aren't yet.

That's why I've mentioned several times that if he were the best player we sign on the wings then I will be disappointed. If we sign him and someone better though, I will be delighted.

Guest PurpleNose

Then we're of a similar opinion, Zig.

As for alternatives to Downing, another lad at the same club, Albrighton, would be good.

Perotti maybe.

I think we'll be looking for at least one winger who is a great crosser of the ball and for another one who can carry the ball at pace. Downing can certainly do one of those jobs. That's the only way I'd like to see him signed though. If we start next season with him and Kuyt on the flanks with Maxi as backup then I may cry.

It may have something to do with the mancs wanting Young and not touching Downing with a bargepole, which tells it's own story.

He'd love LFC, because we'd be the best team that would be in for him. He's not going to get any offers from the current top 4 and if he does, do you think he'd still insist on us? I think not.

It's a pretty weak argument.

Arsenal have been reportedly interested in him. He was touted for a big transfer the year boro went down. He only went to Villa because he had a long term injury and nobody else would touch him.

Regarding the first point: should we only be in for players that the mancs are? Young has the choice between us and them and by the looks of it he chooses them. Hence, he can get fucked.

Downing wants to come to LFC, has done for years and Kenny wants him here.

I'd prefer somebody commited rather than the likes of Young who's sulked all year and is likely to continue sulking until he gets what he wants which is a transfer to the mancs.

I think he'll be a good signing.

One point though: if, as seems likely, we sign Marveaux as well, where does this leave the so-called "marquee signing"? We're not going to spend big on a centre half or centre mid (or at least, it doesn't seem likely), and Enrique probably isn't going to cost more than £10 million, so unless we're also after a right sided player then I don't see where a "big name" is going to fit in.

Kenny and hopefully most fans will be less concerned with how 'big' the name is or how much the transfer fee is and more concerned with signing the right player to balance and strengthen the squad as a whole. I believe Kenny has a good eye for a team and the last thing he will be doing is signing a 'galactico' to grab the headlines.

Then we're of a similar opinion, Zig.

As for alternatives to Downing, another lad at the same club, Albrighton, would be good.

Perotti maybe.

agree here. I think Albrighton is the most natural winger in the premiership. Still has to prove if he can cope with all the other demands in the game but if we're talking potential then he is up there with the most promising.

He signed an extension I think this season so I think Villa would only let him go for serious money

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? Is being better than somebody who was always injured - perhaps our most injured player ever - something to be proud of? Is that now the benchmark? You've got to be better than a clapped out former world-class player?

No im just proving a point to you, because you seem to have a problem with LFC chasing Downing

agree here. I think Albrighton is the most natural winger in the premiership. Still has to prove if he can cope with all the other demands in the game but if we're talking potential then he is up there with the most promising.

He signed an extension I think this season so I think Villa would only let him go for serious money

Imo Albrighton is no better than Downing.

I think the most telling thing about the situation is that we were negotiating for Young, not Downing, in the January transfer window. I wouldn't be against Downing, but as Lance said, if it goes above £12m it would be too much.

Imo Albrighton is no better than Downing.

Mine too, he is not good enough to break into the first team for a reason, more hype than Stephan Moore and his brother who were going to be joint England captains and then disappeared into the lower divisions. I've looked at him play and decided false flash in the pan about 2 years ago and he is yet to prove me wrong.

I think the most telling thing about the situation is that we were negotiating for Young, not Downing, in the January transfer window. I wouldn't be against Downing, but as Lance said, if it goes above £12m it would be too much.

We didn't even have a manager in January we do now, and if he wants Downing then let him buy Downing

Mine too, he is not good enough to break into the first team for a reason, more hype than Stephan Moore and his brother who were going to be joint England captains and then disappeared into the lower divisions. I've looked at him play and decided false flash in the pan about 2 years ago and he is yet to prove me wrong.

Yeah I think he's a bit shit really, as is that Barry Bannan.

Arsenal have been reportedly interested in him. He was touted for a big transfer the year boro went down. He only went to Villa because he had a long term injury and nobody else would touch him.

Regarding the first point: should we only be in for players that the mancs are? Young has the choice between us and them and by the looks of it he chooses them. Hence, he can get fucked.

Downing wants to come to LFC, has done for years and Kenny wants him here.

I'd prefer somebody commited rather than the likes of Young who's sulked all year and is likely to continue sulking until he gets what he wants which is a transfer to the mancs.

So basically, you don't want Young because he prefers to go to the current Premier League title holders and the team that is in the CL final, ahead of a team that is 6th with no European football? Come on mate, you're holding that against him?

I guess you wouldn't want Hazard for instance, because his dream move would be Arsenal? Hell, Suarez has always maintained that his dream is Barcelona, you don't see him sulking around.

This is where we are at, other clubs that offer CL football and more chance of short-term success will be ahead of us in the queue for top players. It doesn't mean we shouldn't be in for them and try to sell them LFC, but rather resort to second or third choice players like Downing. If we do that then I worry about our ambitions.

And if we tried to get top players without success, there are still better options than Downing. Hell, I'd much prefer N'Zogbia.

The "I trust Kenny" line can't be used all the time to shut up any opposition to ludicrous moves like Stewart fucking Downing for £20m.

Of course I trust Kenny, but it doesn't mean that I'll blindly believe that we've made the right choice landing whatever shite it is we might land here in the summer, just because Kenny wanted it. Those are valid concerns.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No im just proving a point to you, because you seem to have a problem with LFC chasing Downing

And what exactly are you proving? You've said that he's better than an old player of ours who was crocked, which I don't necessarily agree with.

Maybe it's your intention to show that we can win things with Downing because Harry Kewell started the European Cup final in 2005. In which case, you wouldn't be 'proving much' because he was subbed when we were behind and hadn't scored.

Unless I've missed something (if so, please point it out), you've not got a point and you've proven very little.

Hopefully Comolli will block any wishes Dalglish may have to sign this player who should never wear an LFC shirt.

Maybe under Rafa but not under the new stated policy of the club

Given how often he was linked with Spurs when Comolli was there I dont think you'll be getting your wish.

Shitty thing to say that anyway even as a wum.

Comolli was talking to Villa about it, nothing concrete was happening. He was doing groundwork, as per his role.

We were never going to sign that type of player in January - if we were going to, Kenny would have asked Comolli to work on Downing.

And just to nail this, 'nobody else wants him' myth, over the last year he's been approached by Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs for one reason or another.