You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bullshit. You made the lives of those you cared for better. Maybe the system is still fucked, but you made a difference to those residents.

A few maybe.

Others were moved to other establishments to be abused yet again mate.

We still have a CQC not fit for purpose.

A coalition government bottle introducing meaningful change as they don't believe in interfering.

Morale across care/support staff even lower.

Training budgets decimated.

Local authority budgets decimated which in turn means they'll purchase any old crap off any old shit provider.

Providers who receive 100% of their income through local authorities slashing already piss poor wages.

Staffing levels drastically reduced.

There was great hope, the reality is entirely different.

A man with significant health problems provided with a 15 min visit by a carer after his wife was admitted to hospital with terminal cancer. Not abuse in the obvious sense but is that an acceptable way to care for a man, no longer able to look after his wife?

The local authority is charged £15.40 for an hour's visit

A man with significant health problems provided with a 15 min visit by a carer after his wife was admitted to hospital with terminal cancer. Not abuse in the obvious sense but is that an acceptable way to care for a man, no longer able to look after his wife?

The local authority is charged £15.40 for an hour's visit

Every time you hear something like this just remember there's plenty of cash for everyone to live comfortably. It's just in too few hands.

People suffer because there is not enough political will to not have them suffer.

Every time you hear something like this just remember there's plenty of cash for everyone to live comfortably. It's just in too few hands.

People suffer because there is not enough political will to not have them suffer.

Lets just say thats not what he ended up getting

Castlebeck Care accused of health and safety failures after patient death

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Castlebeck-Care-accused-health-safety-failures/story-21024328-detail/story.html#ixzz30EXTzQOl

Prosecutors say a company failed to ensure staff and patient safety at a secure unit where a resident died.

Derek Lovegrove passed away after being restrained by staff at the Cedar Vale Independent Hospital, in East Bridgford, in 2006.

The unit’s former owners, Castlebeck Care (Teeside) Ltd, went on trial at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday, accused of breaching health and safety law as a result of Mr Lovegrove’s death.

Prosecutor Ian Bridge said a change by Castlebeck Care in the way staff restrain patients had led to confusion and “unauthorised” techniques being used.

Addressing jurors while opening the prosecution case, Mr Bridge said: “Derek Lovegrove was restrained in an unconventional way.

“At the end of the restraint it was noticed he was silent and had stopped breathing, and despite their best efforts he died.

“This prosecution is all about the circumstances surrounding that death. What you need to focus on is whether or not the defendant failed in its duty to ensure safety.”

Mr Lovegrove, 38, was mentally disabled and had severe communication problems.

He was blind and 75 per cent deaf in both ears.

Mr Lovegrove had lived as a patient at Rampton Hospital, Retford, for 14 years before being moved to Cedar Vale in June 2005.

He was moved following a change which saw Rampton reserved for criminals with mental illnesses.

Of the move to Cedar Vale, Mr Bridge said: “The intention was to give him a better life and a little bit more freedom than he had at Rampton.”

The court heard staff at Cedar Vale were involved in 95 incidents with Mr Lovegrove between June 2005 and May 2006, with 32 leading to him being restrained.

A care plan was drawn up ahead of Mr Lovegrove’s move to Cedar Vale, but the court heard it wasn’t followed properly by staff on July 10, 2006, when he died.

The court heard Mr Lovegrove was alone in his room with support worker Abrahal Kariam, despite his care plan stating he should have two support workers at arm's length at all times.

Mr Bridge said that Mr Lovegrove approached Mr Kariam and pulled him to the ground.

Mr Kariam was able to free himself before he and fellow support worker Stephen Bloxham, who had been outside the room at the time, restrained Mr Lovegrove on floor.

They then realised he was not breathing and were unable to resuscitate him.

Mr Bridge alleged that Castlebeck Care had failed to ensure staff were adequately trained in new restraint techniques and resuscitation.

Mr Bridge said: “Staff were in the midpoint of switching from one restraint technique to another, and using unauthorised techniques as a result.”

He added: “We submit to you that you should have no difficulty in reaching the conclusion that there was a failure to ensure the safety of Derek Lovegrove and others.”

Castlebeck Care went into administration in 2013, with Cedar Vale now run by new owners, a company called Danshell Adult Healthcare, according to the web.

No-one representing Castlebeck Care attended the court hearing.

Addressing the jury at the start of proceedings, Judge Jonathan Teare said: “This is an unusual case because there is nobody in the dock.

“The defendant company is a company now in administration and you will not hear from the company or anybody representing it.”

The case continues.

5 minutes in and I feel like killing someone.

If my nan was still alive I would pack my job in immediately so I could spare every single special second that I could with her. It is to my immense shame that I didn't do that. If I could turn the clock back I would do so, no question.

If my nan was subjected to the mis-treatment that the poor old lady on there atm is receiving I just couldn't live with myself. The hurt and the shame, I would seriously fucking maim these sadist inhuman bastards.

If found guilty minimum sentences of 5 years.

What could they use from the Act? Nothing like that in the Scottish equivalent Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act (as far as I'm aware)

What could they use from the Act? Nothing like that in the Scottish equivalent Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act

There are offences under the act for exactly this, there was at the time of WV, it was why it so galling watching the CPS and police slapping themselves on the back outside court that time.

There are offences under the act for exactly this, there was at the time of WV, it was why it so galling watching the CPS and police slapping themselves on the back outside court that time.

Well, as I've just said to rico, this isnt getting the grass cut