You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"In a special edition of Panorama, reporter Paul Kenyon exposes incidents of abuse within the British care system. On the top floor of a special hospital, locked away from famalies and friends, a group of men and women are subjected to a regime of physical assaults, systematic brutality, and torture by the very people supposed to be caring for them. The victims are some of the most vulnerable in society - the learning disabled, the austitic, and the suicidal. Paul Kenyon exposes the truth about a gang of carers out of control, and learns how the the care system ignored all the warning signs".

I'll be watching, though I reckon most people won't be interested in it. It goes back to the Baby P thread, and people only showing concern in the areas that affect them personally. Who gives a shit if a few mentalists are being tortured? They'll probably tut a bit, but would they be happy to see their taxes increased in order to provide adequate care for them? I doubt it very much. They'd rather just look after the cute sections of society (babies and young children) and turn a blind eye to the rest.

To be honest I'm not surprised, we've always shut people away (last years BBC4 doc History of the Madhouse had my stomach churning) and hoped/pretended they're being cared for.

Abuse is always covered up and monitoring seems minimal.

To be honest I'm not surprised, we've always shut people away (last years BBC4 doc History of the Madhouse had my stomach churning) and hoped/pretended they're being cared for.

Abuse is always covered up and monitoring seems minimal.

Standards of recruitment in the care industry are rock bottom. I know a couple of lads who are in the industry and they've pretty much got no qualifications, both came from call centre work. One is suited to it, he's a top lad, the other is extremely unsuited to it and refers to the lad he looks after as 'that spaz'.

Jesus christ. I feel sick to my stomach watching this. They're fucking torturing that young girl. Am I so naive that I never thought this level of abuse went on?
The sad thing is, it's not an isolated case. That kind of thing is happening up and down the country. I remember a similar programme some years ago. Think it was McIntyre, or something like that. Whats even more upsetting is in a week or two the vast majority of people watching this programme tonight wont even remember the name of that place.
  • Upvote 1

That was truly harrowing. I'm speechless.

I filled up when they showed Simone's parents the footage. Jesus christ, you put faith into a scheme that assures you you're helping your troubled daughter get a better life and you then find out this happens.

I almost wish I hadn't watched it, now I'm aware of this kind of thing I feel the need to do something about it. Surely there needs to be some heads rolling here, not just in the care home but in the CQC who spectacularly failed to follow up the emailed complaints.

I filled up when they showed Simone's parents the footage. Jesus christ, you put faith into a scheme that assures you you're helping your troubled daughter get a better life and you then find out this happens.

I almost wish I hadn't watched it, now I'm aware of this kind of thing I feel the need to do something about it. Surely there needs to be some heads rolling here, not just in the care home but in the CQC who spectacularly failed to follow up the emailed complaints.

I couldn't even begin to imagine how her poor parents were feeling. What were your feelings on the undercover reporter? Did he really need five weeks' worth of footage, and just stand back and watch? I'd have gone to the police after one shift. Panorama were equally complicit in the abuse as far as I'm concerned. I'm so angry.

I couldn't even begin to imagine how her poor parents were feeling. What were your feelings on the undercover reporter? Did he really need five weeks' worth of footage, and just stand back and watch? I'd have gone to the police after one shift. Panorama were equally complicit in the abuse as far as I'm concerned. I'm so angry.

I kind of Pitied him because I can't imagine any normal (and I use that term in comparison to the thick, pond life scum who he filmed abusing) seeing that and not wanting to intervene.

I'm sure he was sold "the greater good" story by the BBC and maybe they'll come good. Hopefully the evidence supplied is so concrete (more so then just one shift, and inclusive of the senior nurses to indicate acceptance of this abuse) that those involved will serve time. Surely to fucking god they will have to

I couldn't even begin to imagine how her poor were feeling. What were your feelings on the undercover reporter? Did he really need five weeks' worth of footage, and just stand back and watch? I'd have gone to the police after one shift. Panorama were equally complicit in the abuse as far as I'm concerned. I'm so angry.

I was going to mention that. I'm guessing that the more evidence they had the easier it would be to take action? If they only had one instance of abuse on camera it would have been easier for the company and regulator to dismiss.