You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carroll Euro U21

Lee909

Liverpool striker Andy Carroll voices concerns over England Under 21 call-up

By Matt Lawton

Last updated at 11:15 PM on 18th May 2011

Comments (0) Add to My Stories Share Andy Carroll has told the England Under 21 boss Stuart Pearce he is not sure his body will be able to cope with the demands of the European Under 21 Championship after playing for Fabio Capello's senior squad against Switzerland next month.

Pearce is expected to announce his final squad this afternoon after meeting with the Club England board today, and he wants to include Liverpool striker Carroll and Arsenal's Jack Wilshere, even though they will almost certainly be part of Capello's plans for the Euro 2012 Championship qualifier at Wembley on June 4

But Carroll, who has made just nine appearances since December because of thigh and knee problems, believes his body would benefit more from proper rest this summer rather than the demands of a tournament.

He has said as much in a conversation with Pearce and at the same time, unlike Wilshere, he has not expressed a strong desire to play for the Under 21s in Denmark this summer.

But he knows the decision rests ultimately with Pearce, only hoping that the manager decides it would be better to leave him behind.

Read more: Liverpool striker Andy Carroll voices concerns over England Under 21 call-up | Mail Online

Guest TK-421

There should be a rule so that once you've had a full call up you can't go back to the under 21s.

There should be another rule whereby you can't play for the U21s if you're not under 21.

There should be a rule so that once you've had a full call up you can't go back to the under 21s.

There should be another rule whereby you can't play for the U21s if you're not under 21.

When I played cub football as a kid the league had a rule that as soon as you were 11 you were ineligible and had to stop playing. By the time the end of the season came around in May there was none of the team left as mainly it was based on school year groups. That's how it should be with the Under 21s.

Arsène Wenger warns of backlash if Andy Carroll skips Under-21 duty

• Wenger upset at Jack Wilshere's expected England U21 call-up

• Cesc Fábregas told to deliver trophies with Arsenal

David Hytner

The Guardian, Friday 20 May 2011

Article history

Arsène Wenger said it would be hard to believe Andy Carroll is more tired than Jack Wilshere, above. Photograph: Julian Finney/Getty Images

Arsène Wenger has warned Fabio Capello and Stuart Pearce to expect a backlash if Andy Carroll were to be stood down from the England Under-21 squad for the European Championship next month.

The Arsenal manager is upset that Jack Wilshere looks set to be named in Pearce's 23-man squad for the finals in Denmark, which take place between 11 and 25 June, despite his having graduated to Capello's senior team. Wilshere, who has made 54 appearances for club and country at all levels this season, is expected to play for Capello's side in the Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland on 4 June.

Wenger has warned of the dangers of burnout but his ire would deepen if Liverpool succeeded in withdrawing Carroll from the squad, on the basis that the knee problem that has held him back in recent weeks would benefit from a summer of rest. Carroll, the £35m January signing from Newcastle United, who is also a full international, has made 31 appearances this season.

Liverpool are lobbying for Carroll to be excused from the tournament in Denmark and, amid the toing and froing, the Football Association was forced to say Pearce's final squad announcement would not be until next Monday, after the final round of Premier League fixtures. The governing body had hoped to publish the list of names on Thursday.

"Pearce will be concerned to leave Carroll behind," Wenger said, "and I don't think he will do it because that is opening the doors for any other complaints behind that. Players react like: 'If he doesn't go, why do I go?' That could be a dangerous game to leave Carroll behind. It could create many other problems. I would not be the first on the phone but there would be no logic in the attitude of the selection.

"I could understand if Carroll doesn't go for injury problems but for fatigue problems ... it would be more difficult to convince people in England that he is more tired than Jack Wilshere."

Wenger announced on Thursday morning that he knew that Wilshere was in Pearce's squad and, although he continues to hope that there could be a change of heart, prompted by his pressure, he intends to plan for the beginning of next season without the 19-year-old.

In an attempt to guard against burnout, he will give Wilshere four weeks of complete rest, calculated from the day that the Under-21s exit the Championship, and he said the midfielder would then need at least three weeks of pre-season work before he could consider selecting him.

The semi-finals in Denmark are scheduled for 22 June; the final for 25 June and the new Premier League season will kick-off on 13 August. Wenger said the senior England team "know Jack will not be available for the friendly" on 10 August against Holland at Wembley. "Jack will be very unlikely to start the season for us," said Wenger, who feels that the decision to take Wilshere to Denmark is a "risk for Jack's health".

Wenger, meanwhile, has told Cesc Fábregas that Arsenal's trophy-free season does not offer him the excuse to leave for Barcelona, the midfielder's former club and perennial suitors. "What guarantees you that if you go somewhere else, you win trophies?" Wenger said. "I believe that the biggest pride for a captain is to be committed to his club and deliver trophies with his team.

"A player who changes clubs every time when he is frustrated or when he does not win a trophy goes nowhere. I believe that the quality of a sports life is to be committed to your club and not just move out when it doesn't go as well as expected.

"I expect Cesc to be here. We will fight very hard to keep him here. You have always to fight when you have a player of that quality. You have always to fight to keep the players, of course."

Arsene, fuck off.

this is from the press conference yesterday, wenger has been pleading with pearce for both players not to be there as they are senior players and with euro 2012 coming, they need this summer off. pearce has said wenger is the only manager he has problem with about this and doesnt need to talk to him as he already spke to the player. yesterday wenger confirmed pearce picked wilshere and even though he thinks its wrong decision, there's nothing he can do.

he was then asked liverpool has asked for caroll to skip the u21 and what do you think if pearce grants that. he basically said if he's injured fear enough, but if they let him rest due to fatigue then we have a problem. end of the day caroll will not go. pearce has strong dislike for wenger after the walcott fiasco the last time after insisting on taking walcott despite being senior and once he got there played him the first game and then dropped him. after that wenger criticised his handling of walcott basically saying why insist on taking a player and then not play him. so he does want to get one over wenger with wilshere. but he's gonna look really stupid when he let caroll who's fit stay and force wilshere who is playing his first full season and has played 52 games so far.

i really dont get why the fa isnt telling pearce who's mainly looking after his cv to not pick these players as we need them to be in good shape in euro 2012

I fucking hate Wenger the horrible snidey French cunt. I hate the way the press cream themselves over him when he has won the sum total of fuck all for years. He is a fucking hypocrite, moaning about teams like Stoke and singling out players like Shawcross and and Martin Taylor when he has had plenty of Dirty players down the years like Keown, Vieira, Eboue and Wilshere the little subnormal looking piece of shit.

Wilshere is the new Paul Scholes, gets away with being a nasty, dirty little bastard because he is the latest media darling.

If we are trying to pull Carroll out it has got fuck all to do with him, if he has a problem with it he should do the same with Wilshere and leave us out of it.Dickhead.

I fucking hate Wenger the horrible snidey French cunt. I hate the way the press cream themselves over him when he has won the sum total of fuck all for years. He is a fucking hypocrite, moaning about teams like Stoke and singling out players like Shawcross and and Martin Taylor when he has had plenty of Dirty players down the years like Keown, Vieira, Eboue and Wilshere the little subnormal looking piece of shit.

Wilshere is the new Paul Scholes, gets away with being a nasty, dirty little bastard because he is the latest media darling.

If we are trying to pull Carroll out it has got fuck all to do with him, if he has a problem with it he should do the same with Wilshere and leave us out of it.Dickhead.

he answered a question he was asked. if everyone was as boring as kenny, there wouldnt be any point of going to press conferences. there's a reason why journos love wengers press conferences, he gives you answers and isnt a grumpy miserable old man

he answered a question he was asked. if everyone was as boring as kenny, there wouldnt be any point of going to press conferences. there's a reason why journos love wengers press conferences, he gives you answers and isnt a grumpy miserable old man

Fuck off wenger hasn't got an ounce of class in his body, maybe he should look closer to home instead of blaming everyone else for his fuckups. Kenny behaves impeccably and with dignity, something the nonce who manages you is incapable of.

It’s utterly fucking stupid that Wilshere is to be called up. He is a first team regular at his club so to call him up for a youth cup competition is daft. In 6 years time they’ll be wondering why his knees are shot and he’s always injured. Neither him or Carroll should be asked to go.

Having said that, Wenger is yet again been a total fucking bellend. He’s acting like a kid by demanding that Carroll should go if Wilshere has to go. He shouldn’t even be talking about Carroll, he should just worry about his own players.

I’ll tell you what, when Ferguson and Wenger eventually retire from the game, the league is going to be a hell of a lot better for it.

It’s utterly fucking stupid that Wilshere is to be called up. He is a first team regular at his club so to call him up for a youth cup competition is daft. In 6 years time they’ll be wondering why his knees are shot and he’s always injured. Neither him or Carroll should be asked to go.

Having said that, Wenger is yet again been a total fucking bellend. He’s acting like a kid by demanding that Carroll should go if Wilshere has to go. He shouldn’t even be talking about Carroll, he should just worry about his own players.

I’ll tell you what, when Ferguson and Wenger eventually retire from the game, the league is going to be a hell of a lot better for it.

he was asked about caroll and pearce maybe letting him stay and all he said was if he's injured fair enough, but if he gets to rest due to fatigue why not our guy. he also said caroll shouldnt even be there as wilshere and both are seniors and it will only hurt england next euro.

he was asked about caroll and pearce maybe letting him stay and all he said was if he's injured fair enough, but if he gets to rest due to fatigue why not our guy. he also said caroll shouldnt even be there as wilshere and both are seniors and it will only hurt england next euro.

He also said your captain is a cunt. I'm paraphrasing.

Actually, he said this;

"Pearce will be concerned to leave Carroll behind," Wenger said, "and I don't think he will do it because that is opening the doors for any other complaints behind that. Players react like: 'If he doesn't go, why do I go?' That could be a dangerous game to leave Carroll behind. It could create many other problems. I would not be the first on the phone but there would be no logic in the attitude of the selection.

"I could understand if Carroll doesn't go for injury problems but for fatigue problems ... it would be more difficult to convince people in England that he is more tired than Jack Wilshere."

And that is why I say (very correctly) that he is a snidey little childish twat of a man. He is very much putting the pressure on Pearce to pick Carroll by saying that loads of other managers will kick off if he doesn't.

Wenger is a twat, and until your bottling bunch of shithouse arseholes realise this and tell the ownership to get a manager in who hasn't lost the plot, they will continue to win nothing. Our worst season in living memory, and we are only 9 points behind your supposedly brilliant team? Next season Arsenal are in very real danger of falling out of the top 4 (If we had Dalglish 4 weeks earlier, you’d already be out of the top 4) and then you will free fall. You need to take action now. And that action is to punt that senile fuckwit in charge.