You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blues/Jazz/Folk Etc Music thread

Lee909

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He has a lovely Christmas album Matty - it’s a double if I remember correctly

Nice one, Stringy, I'll check it out

He has 10 Christmas albums!

He does one every year as a gift to family and friends and twice he has compiled them in to 5 album releases.

I. Love. Sufjan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wasn't being entirely serious. It does piss me off though. It's just a term used to mean "other stuff". Stuff that isn't from the UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or Western/Southern Europe.

"Oh, how cute, they're giving music a go in Africa and South America as well"

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m one of those guys
Who let’s his eyes go rolling heavy now at the end
Check out them girls from toe to curl
And I’d love to find myself a ten
My looks survived on fours and fives
When I go on out for fun
But last night in desperation
I approached a minus one

[Chorus]
And she said no
An ugly woman told me no
Nothing make you feel quite as low
As when an ugly woman tells you no

Terrible!

[Verse 2]
I flashed my smile, did a little while
We was talking face to face
I found out that she was alone and free
So I made just a slight reference over to my place
I saw her frown, I slowed down
I was charming you know I was ever so cool
But when I reached in for the kill
That bear said
“Rrr! I’m nobody’s fool!”

[Chorus]
Oh she said no
An ugly woman told me no

[Verse 3]
I was crushed inside
I swallowed my pride
But I wasn’t about to quit
I showed her some little scar
That I got in some little war
And she softened up a teensy weensy eensy little bit
I probed, I searched
I mentioned church
And I’m clearly Jewish
And in fact I almost cried
But when I put in my request
She said “Request denied.”

Ugly woman
Terrible, terrible!
My parting shot was:
“I’ve only got about two weeks or less to live”
You owe it to your country
And it’s always better to give
She looked at me
I was gone for [?]
She said, as the poor gal turned and go
“Look here boy on a scale from one to ten
Your reading ain’t got a chance to show.”

She told me no
How could she do it?
An ugly woman told me no
You can put that girl’s face in some dough
And make gorilla cookies

[Chorus]
She said no
An ugly woman told me no

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Otis Rush, Seminal Chicago Blues Guitarist, Dead at 84

Otis Rush, one of the pioneering guitarists of the Chicago blues scene, died Saturday from complications from a stroke he suffered in 2003. He was 84.

Rush’s wife, Masaki Rush, confirmed her husband’s death on his website. A note read, “Known as a key architect of the Chicago ‘West Side Sound’ Rush exemplified the modernized minor key urban blues style with his slashing, amplified jazz-influenced guitar playing, high-strained passionate vocals and backing by a full horn section. Rush’s first recording in 1956 on Cobra Records ‘I Can’t Quit You Baby’ reached Number on the Billboard R&B Charts and catapulted him to international acclaim. He went on to record a catalog of music that contains many songs that are now considered blues classics.”

Rush became a staple of the Chicago scene in the late Fifties and early Sixties, partnering first with Cobra Records, which was also home to artists like Magic Sam and Buddy Guy. Their take on the blues would prove to be a revelation for a generation of artists to follow, while Rush would become a totem for countless rock guitarists (he was placed at Number 53 on Rolling Stone‘s list of the 100 Greatest Guitarists). Notably, Rush’s signature style – long, dramatically bent notes – was in part a product of his unique playing approach: A left-handed guitarist who played his guitar upside-down, placing the low E string at the bottom and the high E string on top.

In 1968, Mike Bloomfield summed up Rush’s influence, telling  Rolling Stone that in Chicago, “the rules had been laid down” for young, white blues bands: “You had to be as good as Otis Rush.”

Rush was born in Philadelphia, Mississippi in 1935 and began teaching himself the guitar at age eight. He moved to Chicago in 1949 and was inspired to pursue music full time after seeing Muddy Waters live. In 1956, Rush released his first, and most successful single on Cobra, “I Can’t Quit You Baby.” Along with its chart success, Led Zeppelin famously covered the cut on their 1969 debut.

During his Cobra years, Rush recorded with a revolving cast of musicians that included Ike Turner, Big Walter Horton, Little Walter and Little Brother Montgomery. His output also featured classic cuts such as “My Love Will Never Die,” “All Your Love (I Miss Loving)” (later covered by John Mayall) and “Double Trouble” (Stevie Ray Vaughn later named his band after that track).

After Cobra went bankrupt, Rush released a pair of singles on Chess before moving to Duke Records in the early-Sixties. But it wasn’t until 1969 that Rush released what was essentially his first album, Mourning In the Morning, which he recorded at the legendary FAME Studios with the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section.

Rush continued to tour and record during the Sixties and Seventies, though seemed perpetually dogged by label issues. For instance, Capitol Records refused to release his acclaimed LP Right Place, Wrong Time, and it wasn’t until 1976 – five years after it was recorded – that Bullfrog Records finally put it out.

In 1994, Rush released Ain’t Enough Comin’ In, which at the time marked his first record in 16 years. Two years later, his album, Any Place I’m Goin’ won him the Grammy for Best Traditional Blues Album. Though that LP would be his last full-length studio effort, Rush contributed to various tribute albums and remained a regular live performer until health issues forced him off the road.

• Upvote 2