Quantcast
LFC sign 15yo for 2 mil - Page 4 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Recommended Posts

LIVERPOOL’S commitment to recruiting the best young talent has been underlined further by the signing of Irish starlet Alex O’Hanlon.

 

Schoolboy O’Hanlon, 15, plays for Dublin’s fabled St Kevin’s Boys’ Club which launched the career of Liam Brady as well as Damien Duff, Stephen Carr and Ian Harte.

 

The left-back is rated as one of the most exciting talents to emerge from Ireland in years and has caused a stampede of interest among England’s elite, having spent time at Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton.

 

Manchester United hoped to sign him, having previously lured teenager Robert Brady from St Kevin’s. Brady, 19, no relation to Liam, was an unused substitute for United’s 3-2 Carling Cup win over Wolves in October but Liverpool have stolen a march on their rivals for a player who has been likened to Tottenham’s Gareth Bale.

 

O’Hanlon has visited Liverpool’s training ground Melwood and St Kevin’s will receive compensation in accordance with UEFA’s guidelines, which will rise depending on progress.

 

Suggestions they could net as much as £2million have been dismissed, but Brendan Bermingham, secretary of St Kevin’s Boys’ Club, said: “He is very highly thought of. He’s an excellent full-back and hopefully he might turn out like Gareth Bale.

 

“He’s got a really good attitude, quiet and unassuming. He’s just football, football, football.”

 

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner stressed on Sunday’s flying visit to Merseyside for the game with Tottenham the importance of a strong academy set-up.

 

The emergence of Jonathan Flanagan, Martin Kelly, Jay Spearing and Jack Robinson has been a major plus point and Raheem Sterling, 16, and Connor Coady, 18, are set for first-team squad places next season.

 

Read more: Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoke to a feller in Dublin who told us about this. Said his young lad plays for the same club, and told us that Kenny came over personally on Tuesday to sign the deal which could be worth £2m to his club. He was raving off the lad, told us that many see him as the most exciting young player to come out of their country in 20 years. Reports say he is a left back but he told us he was more of a midfielder. Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Madrid all in for him.

Edited by Randy Marsh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reading the story on the Echo website and someone posted this comment :

 

The_Partridge

 

4:13 PM on May 19, 2011

 

wow, we've signed a kid from Dublin

 

that'll really take the shine of United's 19th title. I bet they're inconsolable

 

we've signed a promising left back, fine, lets see what happens in the next 5 years, but we HAVE already got 2 promising left backs in Jack Robinson and Brad Smith, both in the England side for their age groups

 

I know Dave Usher rated Smith as a dark horse to keep an eye on, and Dave's a decent judge of a player normally so I'm vaguely hopeful about this kid even though I've never seen him play

 

Robbo's got a run on him though in terms of first team chances and might take some dislodging as the brightest young left back on the block

 

 

Anyway, more importantly look at these replies to that comment :

 

Bumbly_Bee

 

6:22 PM on May 20, 2011

 

jst soo ye no lyk noh avein a go ah ye or nethin bu signin alex wuz deffo noh a mistake ihs the bst thing dahs eva happened :D

 

 

Bumbly_Bee

 

6:25 PM on May 20, 2011

 

alo betta make ih if he dusnt ders summin rong in every1s heads

hes amaxin ah wahh he dus :D

 

Jesus Christ, I thought we had some mongs on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tenner he never even makes the ressies.

 

Agreed. He is shit. I just watched his youtube video - it was comprised soley of pictures - but he looked very slow, fat, positionally suspect and like a shit crosser in all the photos. And 2m? I hope St Kevins were nice enough to include lipstick in that deal, we might as well look pretty if we're going to be fucked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
where is Adam Pepper nowadays?

 

Plays for Aberystwyth Town or something like that the last time I checked. Had a terrible attitude and is fond of his drink, apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just reading the story on the Echo website and someone posted this comment :

.

 

I think he's got a point regarding left backs.

 

Robinson is a very good prospect, Smith is a good one and we'll probably go out and sign another LB in the summer like Enrique. So even if this lad does live up to his billing, he'll struggle to break through.

 

Still, I like to see us buying good young players - even if it is just the scatter-gun approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not scattergun if he's as good as people say. Either him or Smith may end up as wingers anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Where have you heard this?

 

There was a story in the Irish Star the other day about the two of them.

 

By the way, I think those quotes from the guy at Kevin's were made up, I'm pretty certain O'Hanlon is a winger and not a left-back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plays for Aberystwyth Town or something like that the last time I checked. Had a terrible attitude and is fond of his drink, apparently.

 

Thats quite a drop for someone who was touted to be the next big thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Has it been confirmed Sterling will be promoted to the first team squad this summer?

 

No, it'd be some jump though, he hasn't even started full time training yet. He'd be skipping the academy and the reserves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cain, I don't think we should worry about him yet. Just look at McLaughlin (who I think came over as part of the same agreement) and be happy as he looks class already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been playing left wing for the u16s. Scored a few goals and is doing well from what I've heard. I've only seen about ten minutes of the u16s this season, he was playing left wing that day and looked good but it was only ten minutes so not much to go on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Available Subscriptions

  • Last Match Report

  • Latest Posts

    • The contracts might have a force majeure clause for that kind of thing.  Or some other catch all clause.
    • So a player is one goal or appearance away from triggering a clause in his contract for either performance-related bonuses or even an extra year added to his contract. The season is then voided, ie the player is effectively denied millions through no fault of his own.    Can he then sue the club for potential lost earnings? Or break from the contract? If that's possible, imagine dozens of such cases of varying degrees and it's another layer to the shitstorm waiting for the higher-ups should the season be cancelled. 
    • That is probably too early but i wouldn't be surprised if its back by late May. I think the government would allow it too. 
    • The Premier League are working on an ambitious plan to restart the season behind closed doors on the first weekend of May with a scheduled finish date of Sunday July 12. The proposals, which will be discussed in detail on a conference call of the 20 clubs on Friday, would need to be endorsed by the Government, public health bodies and the PFA. But they are seen as the best way to mitigate the financial losses and potential legal threats caused by the coronavirus shutdown. The Premier League's best-case scenario of a May resumption stems largely from their obligations to and financial reliance on broadcasters, who have a watertight £3billion-a-year deal which expires on July 31, with next season's deal kicking in the following day.    The Premier League want to restart the season at the beginning of May and finish it by July 12   Sky Sports and other broadcasters could demand as much £762m if the season is not finished It is understood that under the terms of the TV contracts the cut-off point to finish this season is July 16, and if the campaign is not completed by that date Sky Sports, BT Sport and the international rights-holders could demand rebates totalling as much as £762million.   The broadcasters are pushing the Premier League to provide clarity as soon as possible, as they are losing subscribers at a rapid rate and want to know when they can expect their schedules to return to normal. During informal talks between club executives over the last few days, July 12 has emerged as the optimum finish date, and a restart at the beginning of May would build in the potential for more down-time if individual clubs are hit by more cases of the virus.  It remains unclear whether such a timetable is realistic, however, given that the deputy chief medical officer Jenny Harries warned on Sunday that the country could remain in varying degrees of lockdown for up to six months. A restart in May is seen as vital as that is when the clubs are due to receive their final tranche of television money for the season, without which many will struggle to pay the players' wages. The £762m of combined income under threat is not divided equally and would range from £57m for the Premier League winners to £20m for the team who finish bottom. Ironically, the bigger clubs stand to lose more than usual this season if those payments are withheld following last year's changes to the distribution of the overseas television deal, which, unlike the domestic deal, is no longer divided equally but determined by league position The new plan would see games played behind closed doors due to the coronavirus outbreak BT Sport are another of the broadcasters who could be in line for a rebate worth millions The Premier League are aware of the challenges they face in completing the season but until they are told otherwise by the Government that remains their intention. Having suspended the season twice until April 4 and then April 30 they do not want to announce a further delay. The clubs are also conscious that there may have to be changes in order to finish the season. One of the main topics of conversation between executives recently has been about waiving the rules regarding weakened teams.  A number of solutions have been mentioned, including increasing squad sizes from 25 to 29 to enable them to cope with more absences due to illness. One club also raised the question of whether they would be permitted to field a youth team. A more radical idea has been completing the season without promotion and relegation on the grounds that the integrity of the competition is threatened, and there is also no guarantee that the EFL campaign will be completed.    Clubs at the top of the Championship have begun making preparations to take legal action if they are denied promotion, although if the competition is not completed that would weaken their case. The Premier League will continue to liaise with the Government, who have indicated that they are eager for football to resume in some form as soon as it is not considered a public risk and a drain on resources.  If given the go-ahead, matches would be staged with a skeleton broadcasting crew, minimal security and no media, although an ambulance presence would be required at the stadium. One of the problems the league will face is convincing players to return to action after it emerged that they are not insured for coronavirus as it is not listed as a critical illness. A number have sought clarification but are being advised they are not covered. Many players forgo critical illness cover because it can cost £5,000 per year. But Sportsmail knows of a number who have improved their policies since the outbreak.   https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8169229/Premier-League-plan-resume-season-closed-doors-start-MAY.html#comments
  • Latest Round Up

  • Popular Contributors

  • Football Betting Site Betway
  • Online Bingo
×