You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LIVERPOOL’S commitment to recruiting the best young talent has been underlined further by the signing of Irish starlet Alex O’Hanlon.

Schoolboy O’Hanlon, 15, plays for Dublin’s fabled St Kevin’s Boys’ Club which launched the career of Liam Brady as well as Damien Duff, Stephen Carr and Ian Harte.

The left-back is rated as one of the most exciting talents to emerge from Ireland in years and has caused a stampede of interest among England’s elite, having spent time at Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton.

Manchester United hoped to sign him, having previously lured teenager Robert Brady from St Kevin’s. Brady, 19, no relation to Liam, was an unused substitute for United’s 3-2 Carling Cup win over Wolves in October but Liverpool have stolen a march on their rivals for a player who has been likened to Tottenham’s Gareth Bale.

O’Hanlon has visited Liverpool’s training ground Melwood and St Kevin’s will receive compensation in accordance with UEFA’s guidelines, which will rise depending on progress.

Suggestions they could net as much as £2million have been dismissed, but Brendan Bermingham, secretary of St Kevin’s Boys’ Club, said: “He is very highly thought of. He’s an excellent full-back and hopefully he might turn out like Gareth Bale.

“He’s got a really good attitude, quiet and unassuming. He’s just football, football, football.”

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner stressed on Sunday’s flying visit to Merseyside for the game with Tottenham the importance of a strong academy set-up.

The emergence of Jonathan Flanagan, Martin Kelly, Jay Spearing and Jack Robinson has been a major plus point and Raheem Sterling, 16, and Connor Coady, 18, are set for first-team squad places next season.

Read more: Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke to a feller in Dublin who told us about this. Said his young lad plays for the same club, and told us that Kenny came over personally on Tuesday to sign the deal which could be worth £2m to his club. He was raving off the lad, told us that many see him as the most exciting young player to come out of their country in 20 years. Reports say he is a left back but he told us he was more of a midfielder. Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Madrid all in for him.

Edited by Randy Marsh

Just reading the story on the Echo website and someone posted this comment :

The_Partridge

4:13 PM on May 19, 2011

wow, we've signed a kid from Dublin

that'll really take the shine of United's 19th title. I bet they're inconsolable

we've signed a promising left back, fine, lets see what happens in the next 5 years, but we HAVE already got 2 promising left backs in Jack Robinson and Brad Smith, both in the England side for their age groups

I know Dave Usher rated Smith as a dark horse to keep an eye on, and Dave's a decent judge of a player normally so I'm vaguely hopeful about this kid even though I've never seen him play

Robbo's got a run on him though in terms of first team chances and might take some dislodging as the brightest young left back on the block

Anyway, more importantly look at these replies to that comment :

Bumbly_Bee

6:22 PM on May 20, 2011

jst soo ye no lyk noh avein a go ah ye or nethin bu signin alex wuz deffo noh a mistake ihs the bst thing dahs eva happened :D

Bumbly_Bee

6:25 PM on May 20, 2011

alo betta make ih if he dusnt ders summin rong in every1s heads

hes amaxin ah wahh he dus :D

Jesus Christ, I thought we had some mongs on here.

Tenner he never even makes the ressies.

Agreed. He is shit. I just watched his youtube video - it was comprised soley of pictures - but he looked very slow, fat, positionally suspect and like a shit crosser in all the photos. And 2m? I hope St Kevins were nice enough to include lipstick in that deal, we might as well look pretty if we're going to be fucked.

Just reading the story on the Echo website and someone posted this comment :

I think he's got a point regarding left backs.

Robinson is a very good prospect, Smith is a good one and we'll probably go out and sign another LB in the summer like Enrique. So even if this lad does live up to his billing, he'll struggle to break through.

Still, I like to see us buying good young players - even if it is just the scatter-gun approach.

Where have you heard this?

There was a story in the Irish Star the other day about the two of them.

By the way, I think those quotes from the guy at Kevin's were made up, I'm pretty certain O'Hanlon is a winger and not a left-back.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

He's been playing left wing for the u16s. Scored a few goals and is doing well from what I've heard. I've only seen about ten minutes of the u16s this season, he was playing left wing that day and looked good but it was only ten minutes so not much to go on.