You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Seen some shit about this 'stunt.' Was one newspaper running the line today that mancs set the stunt up even down to quick 'getaway' cars. Really? Like anyone near Anfield on matchday's can get a car right up to Anny Road then, make a 'quick' getaway what with all the traffic, fans walking in the road etc, etc.

I see there's talk that now city have won something they have to take the banner but something else will go up in its place.

Now, I just wonder what that is going to be?

I didn't want to start a new thread for this article, but thought this thread was appropriate. And I think it follows this post quite well.

Item number 3,782,587 proving what deluded, hypocritical whoppers they are

BBC News - Fans' City taunt banner to return at Old Trafford

Manchester City's long-suffering fans waited 35 years to get the monkey off their back.

But, just when they thought it was all over, it's revealed that United's infamous "ticker banner" is to taunt them one final time.

Having mocked City's lack of silverware for more than a decade, the "35 years" banner disappeared following City's FA Cup win - much to the delight of Blues fans.

But Stretford End Flags, the independent supporters' group behind the banner, have said United fans will have the last laugh when it returns for the final game of the season.

Spokesman Andrew Kilduff said: "The banner's going back up in some form or another for the Blackpool game.

"What goes up is open to interpretation - it's going to be the same banner but it will just have something else on it," he said secretively.

They think they are being really cunning don't they, of course no one can guess what it is likely to say...

"We've had suggestions to turn it to 43 which is how long since City last won the league.

"But if we do that it would just give City the motivation to win it again - and it would look a bit petty really."

Are you saying it would be petty to put up a vairation of a flag you have had at every game for years, but that it wasn't petty in the first place?

Focus on the banner has grown since Manchester City's sale in 2008 to billionaire owner Sheikh Mansour and its move into the higher echelons of the Premier League.

Their manager Roberto Mancini was aware of its significance, urging his players to "take off this banner" in the build-up to the Wembley final.

At the final whistle, exultant City players even unfurled their own ticker banner on the Wembley pitch, reset to "00".

"It clearly struck a nerve," said Mr Kilduff, 35, from Runcorn.

"There were City fans outside Wembley screaming into the TV cameras, calling for it to come down.

"To me if you're in the FA Cup Final, you've won the cup. It's not about taking a banner down at a rival football ground."

Bet you had a proper chuckle about the banner at Anfield that went up the next day though didn't you?

But, after a decade of winding up their Manchester rivals, are United fans disappointed the joke's over?

"To be honest, it didn't bother us because my focus was on Manchester United winning the 19th title," said Mr Kilduff.

"That's more important than anything because the rivalry with Liverpool [over the number of titles] was always bigger than that."

Err, you just said that City fans should just enjoy winning the cup and not think about their rivals, why don't you just enjoy winning the League?

Museum piece

According to Mr Kilduff, the banner was conceived in the early 1990s by Manchester United's away fans who wanted to taunt City fans over their lack of success.

In 2000, a United fan had the first ticker banner made up which he displayed on the Stretford End before turning his back on the club in 2005 following the Glazer takeover - and taking his banner with him.

A Utd fan with moral fortitude :wow:

Soon after, Stretford End Flags was formed to create eye-catching banners and crowd mosaic displays at Old Trafford.

"We were inundated with fans' requests asking if it could go back up," he said. "So we actually got it remade and it's been up there ever since."

A mock-up of the banner was even taken to the City of Manchester stadium on 28 February this year - the 35th anniversary of City's League Cup win in 1976.

According to Mr Kilduff, the banner may now have a future in the new National Football Museum, due to open in Manchester in 2012.

"We've been in touch with them about using it in a display about football rivalry which is probably the right place for it now," he said.

"It's a tiny banner which is about a tenth of the size of banners we put up on the Stretford End.

"We've got huge banners of Ryan Giggs, George Best, Sir Matt Busby. And we're looking for ideas for a new banner to mark the 19th title.

"To be honest, that's what it's all about - the history and tradition of Manchester United.

If its all about Manchester United, why are you having banners mocking your rivals?

"Now the ticker's gone, we can focus on that."

I don't have a problem with the banner so much, we would be lapping it up if it was the other way around.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't help but notice this bit:

In 2000, a United fan had the first ticker banner made up which he displayed on the Stretford End before turning his back on the club in 2005 following the Glazer takeover - and taking his banner with him.

Soon after, Stretford End Flags was formed to create eye-catching banners and crowd mosaic displays at Old Trafford.

So, 'soon after' 2005, when we were all over TV - and Europe - with flags and banners of our own, they set up a fucking group to create eye-catching banners?

Maybe I'm paranoid, but this looks like a 'that looks cool, let's copy what they're doing' job to me.

So it's safe to say that a few of these cunts paid to get into the ground just to do this sad little stunt, why cant these twats just enjoy their 19th and record breaking win without it being all about us, something very evertonian about the way these bastards have started to behave lately!

Sad fucking cunts!!

And some people say they're not bothered by losing the record, whinging that it's a "millstone round our neck".

I'd rather have the millstone than see that kitchen foil stunt in our own stadium.