You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Markus Babbel

bigjohn

Babbel is one of my all time favourite LFC players...I loved the style of play and 100% devotion to the cause, I heard good things about him from people who met him and ,when I met him myself, found him a really sound bloke.

I also have a soft spot for Hertha Berlin. My Dad lived 5 minutes walk from the Olympiastadion for many years and when I visited him I would get taken to their games. (LFC have always been number one but I would go and watch other teams when abroad).

With that in mind I have been following how Markus got on at Hertha Berlin this season and I am delighted that he got them promoted back into the Bundesliga. The following article has a few interesting pointsim (quoted here)

"As a member of title-winning teams at Bayern, Liverpool and Stuttgart, not to mention a European Champion with the German national team, coach Markus Babbel is everything Hertha historically hasn't been - measured, professional and, above all, successful.

He's also the antithesis of the Jürgen-Klopp coach-as-fan model that is all the rage in German football at present. The immaculately tailored Babbel rarely leaves his seat during matches. He typically follows the action, even when Hertha win, with the mien of someone witnessing a particularly grisly road accident.

The 38-year-old is still relatively young, and questions still exist about tactical prowess. But his ability to man-manage a squad is beyond all doubt.

Babbel employed a surprising number of players in Hertha's drive to promotion, including a handful of youngsters and unknowns. Last autumn, for instance, he demoted veteran striker Rob Friend in favor of 19-year-old Pierre-Michel Lasogga, and the bullish forward has repaid him with a double-digit goal tally.

Babbel also did not hesitate to begin away matches with playmaker Rafael, regarded by most as the most skilled footballer in the second division, on the bench. Simultaneously, he developed the unheralded Australian midfielder Nikita Rukavytsya - seen as an afterthought free transfer as the season began - into the league's number two provider of assists.

Benching stars is often a sure-fire way of destroying team chemistry. But from top to bottom, the squad got behind Babbel's decisions without much grumbling in the press - an unusual occurrence."

Hertha Berlin back in top flight, with new fans in tow | Sports | Deutsche Welle | 26.04.2011

I hope that King Kenny is manager for many more years but when he decides to retire (after number 25 and number 10) I would love it if Markus returned to LFC as coach/manager

1424378_full-lnd.jpg

Hear hear. He started his management career well, and there was a great article about him in a magazine I once read - he clearly still loves Liverpool.

However, Stuttgart sacked him didn't they?

Great to read he's back doing good things.

One day... as you say.

Yeh Stuttgart sacked him, he had an awful run.

I remember going up with my mate to anfield for the unveiling of Markus and the other new signings and we heard Thommo on the phone say 'course we're delighted we've signed the best man marker in world football'

It was a shame he went the way he did but for a short while he was some player for us. The illness robbed him and us of more boss times together.

I really liked him but I don't think he was immediately accepted by all of the fans. 2 idiots who used to sit behind me would refer to him as 'Markus Bad Ball'

My 2 greatest memories of him are the headed goal in the Alaves final and him sprinting the length of the pitch at Goodison to score in the McAllister 3 - 2 Derby. It was a fairly simple finish but it was the fact that a full back ran from one penalty area to the other to be in the position to score.

For a period I think he was as good a defender as I've ever seen, he was exceptional and his work rate phenomenal. Could of went on to legend status and one of the greats if it wasn't for that illness?

Took the words right out of my mouth, mate. He could have gone down as one of the best full backs in our history had he not been struck by that illness. He was incredible during the Treble season.

Guest San Don

Cracking player for us whose time was sadly cut short due to illness. Wish him all the best for the future and if he's good enough, Im certain he'll be in the mix for being a future LFC manager.

Was it the illness or houllier that ended his time at anfield? I know the illness kept him out for some time, and the club stood by him and waited for him to return. The last I remember of him was when GH subbed him (quite rightly) and he gave GH a bit of stick. Never saw him again.

Was it the illness or houllier that ended his time at anfield? I know the illness kept him out for some time, and the club stood by him and waited for him to return. The last I remember of him was when GH subbed him (quite rightly) and he gave GH a bit of stick. Never saw him again.

After his illness He got sent off in a reserve game v bitters, I think it was for a headbutt, I think GED wanted rid after that

• 2 years later...

EXCLUSIVE: Former Liverpool defender Babbel set to take over as shock new boss of Millwall

Former Liverpool defender Markus Babbel is set to be named as the new manager of Millwall. MailOnline understands the German is the choice to replace long-term Lions boss Kenny Jackett who resigned earlier this month after six seasons in charge at the New Den.

Babbel has been out of work since being fired by struggling Hoffenheim last December.

But the 40-year-old has an impressive managerial history in his native country, having led Stuttgart to the Champions League in his first job before gaining promotion to the top flight with Hertha Berlin in his next post. Babbel was initially a huge success at Anfield after moving to Liverpool on a free transfer from Bayern Munich in 2000. The attack-minded right back was an integral part of Gerard Houllier side that won the historic treble of the League Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup in 2001, making 60 appearances for Liverpool in his first season.

However, Babbel’s career at Liverpool was blighted after he contracted the potentially life-threatening nerve disorder Guillain–Barre syndrome which ruled him out for almost a year. He went on to spend his final season in the Premier League on loan at Blackburn before returning to Germany with Stuttgart. Millwall had been linked with the likes of former England boss Steve McClaren, old boy Dennis Wise and Northampton Town manager Aidy Boothroyd, whose side missed out on promotion to League One after losing the play-off final to Bradford.

Markus Babbel set to be named as Millwall boss | Mail Online

Guest San Don
He was a bit of a disaster in his last job,Hoffenheim i think.

Hoffenheim are a bit of a basket case club though. They are artificially kept above their means by a mega rich owner.

Big ask for Babbel going to millwall though. Good luck to him but as for the club....

I also have a soft spot for Hertha Berlin. My Dad lived 5 minutes walk from the Olympiastadion for many years and when I visited him I would get taken to their games.

I love that stadium, one of the most beautiful and historic I've ever been to.

• 6 years later...