You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The sign of a class owner

mi2061

Red Sox Ownership Serves Free Coffee, Hot Chocolate to Fans Waiting Through Rain Delay - Boston Red Sox - NESN.com

Red Sox Ownership Serves Free Coffee, Hot Chocolate to Fans Waiting Through Rain Delay by Mike Cole on Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:14AM 8

If you had tickets to Wednesday night's Red Sox-Angels game at Fenway Park, you had to have been excited. Josh Beckett was slated to return to the mound to face Ervin Santana, with Boston hosting an Angels team it has dominated this year.

Once you got there, however, things took a turn for the worse, courtesy of Mother Nature. A few hundred fans were crazy enough to sit through a two-hour rain delay, sticking around until the action started back up at 11:05 p.m.

Those fans were then treated to free coffee and hot chocolate, served by none other than John Henry, Linda Pizzuti Henry, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino.

6a0115709f071f970b0154321f5d81970c-640wi

6a0115709f071f970b014e88401b09970d-640wi

it is a good sign but reading Brian Reade's book he says how Gillett used to serve Soda's and sit and talk with the fans of the Montreal Canadiens. It all PR at the end of the day

Agreed.

8ffa937bb40842e613333d6183e89347_1M.png

Of course, I believe the FSG lot are infinitely better than that fat Texan old cunt and the 'Wisconsin Kid' as Brian Reade calls him, but they are really little more than PR stunts. It's what happens out of the glare of the cameras and supporters which defines the ownership.

Guest ShoePiss

It's absolutely nothing, the fans are supposed to feel special because the high and mighty owners graced them with their presence? Fuck that.

Sorry to piss on a thread that was intended to be a warm fuzzy feel good thing. There's absolutely nothing special about them serving a cup of coffee to fans.

Maybe they should lower ticket prices, not encourage the secondary ticket market (touts) and stamp out the touts that make a career out of fans' passion for their team. That would show those fans that the owners appreciate them.

Guest ShoePiss
It's a good gesture definitely, there's no professional photographers there so it's not a PR stunt. It's good to see.

What a load of bollocks, there doesn't have to be a professional photographer there when viral marketing works so well.

I can understand a certain amount of cynicism but fuck it, it was still a nice touch. Good p.r., yes but that doesn't mean they don't genuinely appreciate the commitment of the paying customers more than others in the business did.

Guest ShoePiss

Alright I'm cynical but serving a cup of coffee is not the sign of a good owner, it's the sign of one that recognises an opportunity, nothing more than that.

They might turn out to be great owners.

Guest ShoePiss

sorry for being the cynic, just a couple of things though.

Those pictures were first released by Linda on her twitter account, then NESN, new england sports network owned by FSG used them and built an article around it.

PR? Nah, just a group of down to earth billionaires that love the common people enough to serve them cwahfee.

I didn't understand why they had to serve coffee. It's not like the ballpark was full last night and since it was almost midnight when they were doing that, there weren't many fans left. It's not like the staff would've been overwhelmed.

There's the right way and the wrong way to do a PR stunt.

Would they have done this if it didn't rain? I think they saw it as a chance to do a little good that really didn't take an awful lot.

It certainly fits well with the "one big family" image and that everyone is pulling in the same direction.

I like it. If they weren't popular owners they couldn't have done it. Would you have taking coffee from Hicks? Nah.

Nice gesture and all that, but it means nothing to be honest. Tom Hicks' son was in Syntagma Square before the Champions League Final in 2007. He stopped and had a chat and a drink with my brother and I, and discussed his father's grand plans for our football club. Twat.

Nice gesture and all that, but it means nothing to be honest. Tom Hicks' son was in Syntagma Square before the Champions League Final in 2007. He stopped and had a chat and a drink with my brother and I, and discussed his father's grand plans for our football club. Twat.

And I stood arm in arm with him on the steps of Syntagma Square singing songs (well, I did the signing, he hummed along). The same arm I used toshake hands with his dad the day of the Semi final against Chelsea when he came to watch the fans drinking and singing in Liverpool city centre. I really shoudl cut that arm off.

Anyway, with regards to the opening post. It's a publicity stunt. Move on.