You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Country

Section_31

Looking forward to watching SD spin tonight into a 'better than expected' night for Lib Dems.

What the fuck? Are you on drugs? This does not resemble anything I have ever written. By whatever measure you want to use, it is an awful result for us in the Northern cities, as I predicted it would be. "Wipeout" is actually what I said yesterday on the Lib Dem forums.

My only hope is that the collective amnesia which has seemingly wiped away everyone's memories of a truly dreadful Labour government also serves to help people forget our broken tuition fee pledge in time.

What the fuck? Are you on drugs? This does not resemble anything I have ever written. By whatever measure you want to use, it is an awful result for us in the Northern cities, as I predicted it would be. "Wipeout" is actually what I said yesterday on the Lib Dem forums.

My only hope is that the collective amnesia which has seemingly wiped away everyone's memories of a truly dreadful Labour government also serves to help people forget our broken tuition fee pledge in time.

It isn't just the tuition fees though is it.

I said at the time you needed more than a vote on AV, I said you would lose it and you have.

You needed PR.

It isn't just the tuition fees though is it.

No, it's the cuts we're having to make that whoever formed the government would inevitably have had to make - we're also suffering for that too.

I said at the time you needed more than a vote on AV, I said you would lose it and you have.

You needed PR.

Well, we could have held out for STV I guess. We'd still be holding out now, of course. And in 10 years. And in 20. And... you get the picture.

That dreadful government was your first choice for a coalition. Short memory indeed.

Plenty of Lib Dems realising that not speaking out aggressively enough about poor Tory ideology, and pricing their compliance too low, is costing them dear.

I doubt very much people will forget so easily in this instance. It's not the same, that makes up only part of Labour's manifesto, however in the Libs case, this is what defines them to a large part of the public as it's only now they have risen to prominence with the big two normally dominating so much the big political stage that when the Libs have stepped up to share it. No amount of AV would have fixed the Libs problems even if they had won it although some would portray that loss (Assuming the AV is rejected also) as fatal, they were already mortally wounded by their treachery. There only option is to redefine themselves by stronger extremer action that will assert their identity and that can only mean leaving the coalition mine.

Sorry dog but your man Clegg done fucked up and your party will be feeling the implications for a very long time.

No, it's the cuts we're having to make that whoever formed the government would inevitably have had to make - we're also suffering for that too.

Well, we could have held out for STV I guess. We'd still be holding out now, of course. And in 10 years. And in 20. And... you get the picture.

Such as idealogical cuts and restructuring of the NHS?

You were in a position of historical power following the last election, you could have insisted on PR like you insisted on Brown going and Clegg being PM if you joined a coalition with Labour.

That dreadful government was your first choice for a coalition. Short memory indeed.

Brown was the problem. Once Brown was out of the picture, I would have happily seen us form a coalition with a Labour Party led by either of the Milibands so long as they disavowed all that authoritarian rubbish they'd been doing. But the mathematics was difficult, and there was too much obstructionism from certain Labour people too (eg Balls, who has his own designs on the leadership).

Plenty of Lib Dems realising that not speaking out aggressively enough about poor Tory ideology, and pricing their compliance too low, is costing them dear.

Stu, it's not our fault we only had 50 odd MPs to bargain with. A proportional system would have given us 150 MPs, enough to give us better deals on all kinds of things. FPTP neuters parties that aren't one of the big two. We were between a rock and a hard place.

Also you see the SNP doing well in Scotland, which shows how people are tired of the big two and want an alternative, it's damning of how useless the libdems are that they have been rejected like a red headed step child by the British public, they have no credible 4th party to vote for so will run back to Labour as fast as their chubby little legs can carry them.

It's no wonder you have such apathy, the Libdems get given a chance to show their peacock feathers by the young hopeful who get sold out, apathy is good for revolution though when democracy fails to produce what the public want. Plus its nice to sit up and see people getting pummelled at 4 am in the morning without having to pay per view it.

Also you see the SNP doing well in Scotland, which shows how people are tired of the big two and want an alternative, it's damning of how useless the libdems are that they have been rejected like a red headed step child by the British public, they have no credible 4th party to vote for so will run back to Labour as fast as their chubby little legs can carry them.

It's no wonder you have such apathy, the Libdems get given a chance to show their peacock feathers by the young hopeful who get sold out, apathy is good for revolution though when democracy fails to produce what the public want. Plus its nice to sit up and see people getting pummelled at 4 am in the morning without having to pay per view it.

And the tories and libs are trying to use this as a stick to beat Labour with when at present Labour have 36% of the vote compared to 19% for the tories and libs combined.

Maybe I misjudged the comparison made between the Lib Dems and Canada's Liberal Party when I was talking about political parallels between Canada and the UK. Both suffered an absolute drubbing this week, when the Liberal Party in Canada was essentially eviscerated as a political force and it's leader sent back to America with his tail between his legs.

One thing's for sure, the political landscape is in fairly dramatic flux in both countries and the new reality probably won't become apparent for some time while things shift and settle on both sides of the ocean.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What the fuck? Are you on drugs? This does not resemble anything I have ever written.

Maybe I imagined the may conversations we've had about how I'm overstating the demise of the Lib Dems, how by-election results aren't really that bad and how I'm overstating the hated felt by the British public?

Yep, the cracks will now become chasms. Bitter times ahead for this alliance methinks.

Cameron can scarcely believe his good fortune or that his well laid plans have delivered such a rounding destruction of his lapdog mates. Clegg has totally screwed the pooch here and I think he has got at most another six months before someone tries to oust him. I also think that Miliband has fucked up a decent opportunity to give he tories a sound kick in the balls.

Meh, they are all power hungry vultures and cunts and I refused to engage in the process as usual.

Brown was the problem. Once Brown was out of the picture, I would have happily seen us form a coalition with a Labour Party led by either of the Milibands so long as they disavowed all that authoritarian rubbish they'd been doing. But the mathematics was difficult, and there was too much obstructionism from certain Labour people too (eg Balls, who has his own designs on the leadership).

Yes, I know. I'm just pointing out that your party's first choice for a coalition was with that terrible government, so it's a bit rich to be having a pop at voters for having short memories.

I know Labour had no interest in a coalition and it is politically convenient for them to call you names for forming one with the Tories. That means very little to me when these events clearly show it as a statement on how the Lib Dems have failed their voters and not a statement on how much they love Labour. The party of the protest vote has just been hit by protest voting countrywide.

Stu, it's not our fault we only had 50 odd MPs to bargain with. A proportional system would have given us 150 MPs, enough to give us better deals on all kinds of things. FPTP neuters parties that aren't one of the big two. We were between a rock and a hard place.

It's your fault that you've sold your compliance too cheaply and decided not to be aggressively vocal on Tory ideology. They can't force through any policy without you. You have veto power on anything. The message from the public is resounding: either make the Tories work harder or face decimation.

That voting map isn't representative of the population of the UK, it's representative of voting districts. The majority of rural areas were blue but the cities were largely red and there's clearly a disproportionate population density between towns and cities. That map tells us little other than that people in major cities and towns tend to vote Labour and that people in rural areas, at least in England, tend to vote Tory.

how did you arl fella get on last night? im guessing it didnt go well from the overall results

He was unseated.

Oh, that makes me sad.......

They got what was coming to them last night and it will just run and run. The Tory vote held as those who voted them in last time knew what they were going to get and have pretty much gotten it without any obstruction from their very junior partners. The Lib Dems on the other hand are getting what they deserved for their betrayal. A good chuck of their voters know they had their votes stolen last time with lies (including me and the missus) and will probably never return. When the coalition is over, I hope that is the last we ever hear of the twats. Fuck them.

• Downvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Chris Huhne blaming the loss of AV on Labour and Ed Miliband. You couldn't make it up.