You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Country

Section_31

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I mean, I think there's a difference between hanging out with genocidal people in the 21st century, and hanging out with them in the 1930s. But that's not really what this is about. This is about the far left and their attempt to airbrush pioneering women from history because they're not of that tradition. 

Just ...... wow. 

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Not in the 1930s they didn't. 

But anyway: still not the point. 

Nah they were good as gold to the Jewish people in the 30's weren't they. Tell me how modern day anti-semitism is anywhere near as bad as it was in the 30's? Oh you can't because it isn't. 

Unreal. 

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

Happy for you the be the most ‘woke’ SD. I have my red lines and nazism is definitely one of mine.

You make it sound like she was a fully-fledged Nazi rather than holding typically racist views which half the country held back then. 

We're obviously not going to agree on this, but I find this current fashion for judging historical figures by modern standards to be quite pernicious. People are products of their times. And it's doubly problematic when it's used to wipe out the achievements of women. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You make it sound like she was a fully-fledged Nazi rather than holding typically racist views which half the country held back then. 

We're obviously not going to agree on this, but I find this current fashion for judging historical figures by modern standards to be quite pernicious. People are products of their times. And it's doubly problematic when it's used to wipe out the achievements of women. 

Du you know what all this makes you? 

4 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

She wasn't even the first female MP. Constance Markievics was. Can't believe SD is denying her place in history. 

A fact I was already aware of. 

On 28/11/2019 at 23:20, Strontium Dog™ said:

Schoolboy error from Hancock there - Astor was the first woman to sit in Parliament.

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I do rather like the current errr.. ‘fashion’ of not celebrating Nazis and their sympathisers if I’m honest, and I hope it continues. Suppose we’re not going to agree on this.

26 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I do rather like the current errr.. ‘fashion’ of not celebrating Nazis and their sympathisers if I’m honest, and I hope it continues. Suppose we’re not going to agree on this.

Hard to agree with a wrong’un who spouts this sort of shite to be honest. Just quite baffling vile nonsense. As I’ve said, any of us take his warped viewpoint and he’s asking for a banning straight away. 

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Mate, you were happy for Corbyn to be labelled an anti-semite because he wrote a foreword to an economics book written in the 1920s that had one paragraph with a jewish slur in it.  And I don't believe you showed the slightest hint of judging that by "lots of people were Nazis at the time" context.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hard to agree with a wrong’un who spouts this sort of shite to be honest. Just quite baffling vile nonsense. As I’ve said, any of us take his warped viewpoint and he’s asking for a banning straight away. 

Er, when have I asked for any of you to be banned? You've asked plenty of times, it has to be said.

21 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Mate, you were happy for Corbyn to be labelled an anti-semite because he wrote a foreword to an economics book written in the 1920s that had one paragraph with a jewish slur in it.  And I don't believe you showed the slightest hint of judging that by "lots of people were Nazis at the time" context.

Corbyn isn't from 100 years ago. It's perfectly acceptable to judge modern people by modern standards. And I think you'll find I didn't go as far in my criticism as you're claiming.