You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Country

Section_31

I hope you're right, but I think if you move in those circles it can distort your view of what's actually going on out there. I think people who are informed tend to be more left wing/liberal, but many genuinely aren't interested in politics and just tend to go with the overall feeling. 

I don't agree with that for a minute. It's all based on our own experiences, obviously, but mine is certainly not that informed people are left leaning or liberal in this country.

I hope you're right, but I think if you move in those circles it can distort your view of what's actually going on out there. I think people who are informed tend to be more left wing/liberal, but many genuinely aren't interested in politics and just tend to go with the overall feeling. 

It seems like a lifetime ago but don't forget the Tories were only ousted after 18 years and only after a recession and a huge amount of internal scandal, and only by Tony Blair, the second he was replaced as leader the party nosedived (it amuses me how the 'Iraq War' was levelled at Brown as one of the reasons he lost, even though Blair won an election in 2005 while the whole debacle was still very raw.

I think if William Hague or Iain Duncan Smith were still in charge of the Tories they'd be struggling more than they are, that's what it comes down to, image. Look at UKIP, they're a party of genuine mentalists but are doing alright purely because Farage gets photographed in pubs.

If you peel it all back though and ask people what they actually believe, there's be more people who go along with the traditional Tory views of tough justice, home ownership, the public sector is full of lazy bastards rather than left wing Labour views - certainly in England any way. 

This is precisely my point. People that 50 years ago would have voted for the Labour Party, when they were a Labour Party. Now they're considering voting UKIP (some of which is because of the pretence that they do represent some old Labour values). But some are voting Tory because they believe the narrative from the media, and haven't got the time/inclination/whatever to challenge it. Or, as you allude to, they aren't bothering at all.

I agree with the importance of image. Sad that it's the case, but it is. But that suggests the ideology is possibly less important. That a strong, confident leader could win an election pushing a variety of messages. 

I've been accused of being anti everything English/British on here, so it feels a little odd that I'm defending the public in this way, but I really do think the public would vote in an actual left wing government, but it would require that government to be tough and intelligent. As much of a fucking cunt as Thatcher was, she was clearly a much more efficient politician than Kinnock.

I don't think it would take much to "change the minds" of the disengaged. I've seen it first hand, in people from a range of age groups/backgrounds, etc. I've seen people that would have voted UKIP a year ago, but now will probably vote Green. It's because they've become engaged. They've questioned what the media has told them, whereas they previously weren't. We'll still get some people with Tory mentality, obviously, but they'll rightly be in the minority. 

You have to have some hope.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, maybe.

The gov't really needs to reflect the vote share, though. Looked at one election and a difference of 700,000 - in a total of 18,000,000 votes equated to 160 seats. How is that equitable?

I don't think it is equitable but it's how the First Past the Post system plays itself out.

I'd much prefer a form of PR which would be a lot more equitable but every system has its advantages and disadvantages.

Whatever system you use this election will probably produce a tie.

Lab on 33%

Tories on 33%

UKip 14%

LibDems 8%

SNP 5%

Greens 5%

I don't think it is equitable but it's how the First Past the Post system plays itself out.

I'd much prefer a form of PR which would be a lot more equitable but every system has its advantages and disadvantages.

Whatever system you use this election will probably produce a tie.

Lab on 33%

Tories on 33%

UKip 14%

LibDems 8%

SNP 5%

Greens 5%

This is true. But the way FPP now plays out in this country, it combines all the cons of FPP with all the cons of PR. It needs to change.

Are you tradiitionally a Labour or Tory voter? Or neither? If your party has the chance to form a gov't, how would you like to see it formed?

This is true. But the way FPP now plays out in this country, it combines all the cons of FPP with all the cons of PR. It needs to change.

Are you tradiitionally a Labour or Tory voter? Or neither? If your party has the chance to form a gov't, how would you like to see it formed?

I'm Labour and it looks nailed on, if everything stays as it is, that Labour will need the support of the SNP which I'm largely fine with.

LibDem support depends on what happens to Clegg, I think

I agree about FPP, it needs to change

I'm Labour and it looks nailed on, if everything stays as it is, that Labour will need the support of the SNP which I'm largely fine with.

And me as a Labour voter. Milliband is doing himself no favours continually and strongly ruling it out. He needs to wake up and look at the new political landscape.

Are you in Portsmouth South, Stig?

The one that used to have Mike Hancock? Very marginal seat at the moment with the Tories ahead of the LibDems by a whisker. I'd be very tempted to hold my nose and vote tactically for the LibDems to keep the Tory twats out

Yes mate. That's what they are saying, vote Lib dem to keep the tories out. The conservative cunt is flick Drummond. sick of her face on my doormat every morning. Hancock was/is a fucking weirdo. I'm not voting.

Vote Lib Dem, Stig. If you can't be pro anyone, at least be anti-Tory.

And me as a Labour voter. Milliband is doing himself no favours continually and strongly ruling it out. He needs to wake up and look at the new political landscape.

To be fair to Miliband could you imagine the sort of shit he would get if he came out and actually said "I'm jumping into bed with the SNP" if and when we win the election.....I mean it's bad enough now without even admitting it

I think he's playing this spot on.

To be fair to Miliband could you imagine the sort of shit he would get if he came out and actually said "I'm jumping into bed with the SNP" if and when we win the election.....I mean it's bad enough now without even admitting it

I think he's playing this spot on.

Yeah, maybe. Until the electorate accept the new political landscape - and I'm not sure we do - he'd be silly to campaign on it.

Yes mate. That's what they are saying, vote Lib dem to keep the tories out. The conservative cunt is flick Drummond. sick of her face on my doormat every morning. Hancock was/is a fucking weirdo. I'm not voting.

I was living there in 97 and remember voting for the weird sex pest cunt Hancock...not one of my finer moments. Think he's standing as an Independent now,

Weird how Portsmouth votes generally Tory and just down the road in Southampton they'll be returning 2 Lab MPs including the quite attractive Rowenna Davies. Guess it's down to Southampton being unionised dockers and Pompey being Royal Navy bumders

• Upvote 1

I was living there in 97 and remember voting for the weird sex pest cunt Hancock...not one of my finer moments. Think he's standing as an Independent now,

Weird how Portsmouth votes generally Tory and just down the road in Southampton they'll be returning 2 Lab MPs including the quite attractive Rowenna Davies. Guess it's down to Southampton being unionised dockers and Pompey being Royal Navy bumders

Portsmouth is full of white van men.

Portsmouth is a shit-hole.

Southsea however is lovely. I live in Southsea. Southampton is a bigger shithole than anywhere else on the south coast. A real fucking toilet outside the city centre.

Haha, it does have some shithole areas does Southampton. It does have very many lovely areas as well. I'd say it's a more attractive city than Pompey & Southsea by far

However, I had a lot more fun when i lived in Southsea

• 2 weeks later...