You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Country

Section_31

5 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

20327.jpeg

Seems to me that making sure those 30-39 year olds stay red when they become the 40-49 year olds, and building on the popularity you already have with everyone younger, might be worth a try.

By and large, it seems that people are voting Conservative if they have something to conserve. Wealth is concentrated among older people.

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Just reading about the guy from Hartlepool who called LBC today and explained why he voted Tory.

He said they have 9 food banks in Hartlepool which the Tories introduced. He relies on them but Labour want to get rid of them, so he voted Tory.

Fuck my life.

Same in Blackpool, it's the arsehole of planet earth and bottom of virtually every health table in the North west but has two tory MPs.

There's probably a reason we don't teach much politics in school and celebrate ignorance and stupidity on TV.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mattyq said:

House ownership is key. Down south unless you have reasonably wealthy parents it's next to impossible to getting on the housing ladder, this will be a problem for the Tories at some stage

The rentier class are the biggest barrier to access and reform, they also create wealth soley in and for themselves which never sees the economic systems.

One of the reasons that the economy isn't totally destroyed is Sunaks house sale bonanza which is creating a feeding frenzy of sales and propping up the econamy.

The biggest driver of inequality, as you say is housing, but there is a much larger shadow cast by it which needs to be addressed at some point in the concentration of ownership and the fact they do not generate wealth for anybody but the rentiers.

It's dark days for anyone who's not a Tory but take some solace from the fact that it was only 19 years ago that Labour had a 179 seat majority, coming off the back of a 181 seat majority 4 years earlier and seemed invincible. If they could royally blow it from there then the Tories can certainly blow it from where we are now.

11 years ago, the Tories, whilst triumphing against a tired, derided Labour government with an unpopular leader, couldn't scrap together a majority to govern alone. Indeed, while it seems like a lifetime ago, it was only 3 years back when May's minority government was split, along with the wider Tory party and base. In both cases many pundits and Tory supporters were of the belief that the days of the Tory party as the governing party in Britain were over.

So, chin up lads.

Meanwhile in a land far far away a land that has never in its history voted in a tory government,

Have a bit of this you tory twats. Go on Drakeford well done son, well done.

Nice to see the good guy win for once and Drakeford is a genuinely good decent fella, go on comrade,

Edited by Gnasher
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The next election is viable.

national debt and tax hikes,

This is the key, I don’t see how Sunak can begin to balance the books without enormous tax hikes, can see him and Johnson going nose to nose at some point because Johnson won’t want to risk denting his popularity by overseeing tax hikes. It will go off soon enough, certainly way before the next election.

It doesn’t matter what they do. Fucking hell, look at what they did with austerity and they’re still in power.

The next few years will be Austerity on steroids and people will still flock to the ballot box and vote blue because the game is fucking rigged.

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Meanwhile in a land far far away a land that has never in its history voted in a tory government,

Have a bit of this you tory twats. Go on Drakeford well done son, well done.

It's almost as if you show leadership and have fiirm judgement on matters, people will respond positively.

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

It doesn’t matter what they do. Fucking hell, look at what they did with austerity and they’re still in power.

The next few years will be Austerity on steroids and people will still flock to the ballot box and vote blue because the game is fucking rigged.

Yeah I certainly would have them as favourites no what the circumstances, not sure what it would take to for them to lose.

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

I agree , but at present Labour are going the opposite way completely in sacking their organisers , removing any power from local parties or agencies and filleting the portion of the party that tends to be at the forefront of action and organisation

I agree, Starmer who seems a decent person is a top down solution. Labour lost a huge cadre of organizers as the trade union movement died. Who replaces those organizers? The replacements can't come from the top down. Local parties and agencies must reclaim their power first. 

For all of those who are despondent 

Renewal of Labour is inevitable

The Tories will overreach 

People will become disillusioned when the Tories inevitably choose to serve the interests of their donors at the expense of their new voters

2016/2017 was a grim and hopeless period in US politics for progressives, but 2017 and 2018 brought many new and exciting persons into the fight AOC, (and the Squad), Stacey Abrams, and a host of others. They cleared out the old sclerotic deadwood and forced the remaining establishment more to the left. 

In many ways Obama was a more radical promise than Biden but in reality Biden is governing in a much more authentic progressive way, he learned from Obama's misplaced caution and conventionality. 

Sometimes you don't succeed in life until you get a swift kick in the ass from reality first, that is potentially where Labour is now. 

9 minutes ago, sir roger said:

It's almost as if you show leadership and have fiirm judgement on matters, people will respond positively.

Spot on Rog, he's a good fella Drakeford, no strings or bows just good old fashioned centre left policies like guaranteeing all care workers a living wage and all under 25s education/training/job and a massive green household energy scheme, more pco police bobbies on the beat etc 

He made the promises, got on with the job, delivered what he said he would and in return the voters of Wales gave his government a vote of confidence and rejected the tory alternative. Good I'm delighted for him and for Wales. It's you English that are the stone in our shoe Roger. 

47 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Just reading about the guy from Hartlepool who called LBC today and explained why he voted Tory.

He said they have 9 food banks in Hartlepool which the Tories introduced. He relies on them but Labour want to get rid of them, so he voted Tory.

Fuck my life.

They don't call them Monkey Hangers for nothing. 

12 minutes ago, scottthecanuck said:

People will become disillusioned when the Tories inevitably choose to serve the interests of their donors at the expense of their new voters

2016/2017 was a grim and hopeless period in US politics for progressives, but 2017 and 2018 brought many new and exciting persons into the fight AOC, (and the Squad), Stacey Abrams, and a host of others. They cleared out the old sclerotic deadwood and forced the remaining establishment more to the left. 

In many ways Obama was a more radical promise than Biden but in reality Biden is governing in a much more authentic progressive way, he learned from Obama's misplaced caution and conventionality. 

Sometimes you don't succeed in life until you get a swift kick in the ass from reality first, that is potentially where Labour is now. 

Agreed. Labour needs to hold its nerve and attack the enemy not itself if they learn to unite the games on.

2 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

They don't call them Monkey Hangers for nothing. 

If I was Starmer I'd take the train to Hartlepool with a monkey, pin a blue tory rosette on the creature and walk around the town centre congratulating people on their choice.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

If I was Starmer I'd take the train to Hartlepool with a monkey, pin a blue tory rosette on the creature and walk around the town centre congratulating people on their choice.

Absolutely, though I think the irony would be lost on the thick twats. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Same in Blackpool, it's the arsehole of planet earth and bottom of virtually every health table in the North west but has two tory MPs.

There's probably a reason we don't teach much politics in school and celebrate ignorance and stupidity on TV.

It's similar to when the amount of food banks popping up over the country was called a success by Ian Duncan Smith because it showed the generosity of the British people. We are now going full steam to when the church of England would count millions of takings from its subjects and then let a few beggars at the gates in for some stale bread and cheese,  as our Dunky Smith would say ' the good ol days'

59 minutes ago, scottthecanuck said:

If 128,000 deaths on their watch won't convince people then nothing will.

Face it the British working class are the most terminally stupid people on the face of the planet.

• Upvote 1

As the thread title suggests, we live in an historically conservative country. Labour governments throughout history are few and far between and consecutive Labour election victories are rare as hens’ teeth (Labour’s history is littered with minority governments).

We’re a country that’s obsessed with class and wealth in the sense that most people are deferential to both and see them as the last vestiges of the halcyon age of Empire when we were “great”. Most people look at their own lives and blame people like them rather than the people with the power. We’re a nation of Carsons from Downton Abbey. 

• Upvote 2

We're all posh war heroes who hate anything new, foreign or caring on the face of it while being shafted in the back doors with a massive Tory cock, sans lube.

The first hurdle to overcome for Labour to really start to make a dent in these twats with that fat scruffy cunt in charge is the media. Labour need to start calling them out more on their hypocrisy and highlighting the preferential treatment this lot have. Break this hold and we may see small gains start to form.

All I see now is the ICS network from The Running Man.

It's mad, in blind tests people seem to support left leaning policies, most popular institution is the NHS. Yet they go in and vote Tory. 

I know it is only individual cases but even the media the last few days there have been stories or;

I rely on food banks, therefore I will vote Tory.

Shameful libraries and parks have closed, therefore I will vote Tory.

I know I have posted previously, but I had exactly the same going around numerous constituencies in 2919. 

People are voting because they don't want the cuts and poverty but are voting for the people who imposed the cuts and increased the poverty.

The above is why I believe we are not a natural Tory country, but we need to, somehow, control the narrative. 

I agree with @Preston Red we really need to start calling the cunts out at every and any opportunity.

27 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

It's mad, in blind tests people seem to support left leaning policies, most popular institution is the NHS. Yet they go in and vote Tory. 

I know it is only individual cases but even the media the last few days there have been stories or;

I rely on food banks, therefore I will vote Tory.

Shameful libraries and parks have closed, therefore I will vote Tory.

I know I have posted previously, but I had exactly the same going around numerous constituencies in 2919. 

People are voting because they don't want the cuts and poverty but are voting for the people who imposed the cuts and increased the poverty.

The above is why I believe we are not a natural Tory country, but we need to, somehow, control the narrative. 

I agree with @Preston Red we really need to start calling the cunts out at every and any opportunity.

It's interesting that you say most people support the NHS and that's a left wing view, but I'd caveat that with I think they value it because it's good for them, rather than wider society.

My uncle is a Tory I suspect. Lives in Fareham, was in the Navy, fond of "Maggie", went to bluecoat before he signed up and fucked off, probably calls Johnson "Boris". 

He got into footy in the 90s when it became trendy, and he'd say stuff like "oooh, Petit and Vieira, what players", and you'd think oh fair enough, let's have some footy chat, but if you got into any more detail he'd panic and leave the room.

He's the same with politics. He'd say stuff like "ooh Corbyn antisemitism", "labour maxed out the credit card", "say what you want about thatcher but she had her beliefs and she stuck to them." His political views aren't even views, they're just sentences and statements which are begged borrowed and stolen.

Last time I went down there to stay aboit three years ago, him and my aunty would sit there all morning counting out their pills, I mean he must take about 50 a day for his heart, diabetes, all of it. She's the same. Every other day one of them is at a clinic.

I don't think people like that  view the NHS as something they're prepared to fund for the betterment of society, more something that "owes them" in some way. 

The Tory backbone is that age group and they'll all be the same, in fact if we did ever have an aggressive privatisation of the NHS where you were penalised for pre existing conditions, it'd probably be the only thing that'd change their vote, purely out of self preservation.

• Upvote 1