You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Country

Section_31

Over 50% blue votes in my town. Madness, the town is a logistical mess and the incumbent has been in place since 2001.

The high street is a relic, with a load of beautiful historic buildings and old-school independent shops (because the supermarkets are smart enough to stay the fuck away from the town centre), but has always been jammed up as the only way through the town (and lined with vertical parking spaces, with no clear alternatives, so there's always someone trying to reverse into traffic). In the 60s they built a bypass because it was a problem back then, but that was merged into the M5 when that was built and never replaced.

The same mindless development strategy as the rest of South, build and get the farmers their money without any thought about infrastructure. 

One of the biggest most historic buildings is the Manor Hotel (below), when I grew up it was well known that you could buy class A's from the back bar and so it became a bit of a really shit meat market club until it was finally raided a few years ago and now has been redeveloped, but no-one really uses it because Cully is still seen as a shithole with a violent, druggy pub scene. But I suppose the only alternative the tories can really conceive for rural areas is some home counties gentrified idyll and that'll never happen round here (thank God).

Cullompton | Devon Guide

Whereas in my home town, Tiverton, majority non-Con voters, but two tory councillors regardless. Fucked either way, really. Devon used to be a Lib Dem council, but the 2005 boundaries meant spreading of resources (and then they fucked themselves out of credibility) and now I don't think anyone can really campaign effectively for a change.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

They’ve got this sorted for at least the next fifteen years in all likelihood. At that point the baby boomers will start to shuffle off this mortal coil in significant numbers, and they might then be in trouble. 

The next election is viable.

Brexit fallout, unemployment, no 'leveling up' and communities feeling they've been lied to, the covid postmortum, national debt and tax hikes, all the while inequality grows and resentment festers.

Manage the message correctly and these can be got at.

They just have a teflon leader who has to be exposed at some point, underhand strategy through social media, which needs to be understood and adapted for our purpose and utilised properly. They also have an understanding of what the public want to hear and will tell them anything, but these promises have to be paid at some point and there's fucks chance of that as they never intended to in the first place.

The only problem is penetration and cash, they spend more than anybody always, but the game was always rigged we know that, it's about being smarter, something we never seem to be...

If we can offer hope where the tories only tempoary respite from the clusterfuck they created then it's a start.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The next election is viable.

Brexit fallout, unemployment, no 'leveling up' and communities feeling they've been lied to, the covid postmortum, national debt and tax hikes, all the while inequality grows and resentment festers.

Manage the message correctly and these can be got at.

They just have a teflon leader who has to be exposed at some point, underhand strategy through social media, which needs to be understood and adapted for our purpose, and an understanding of what the public want to hear and will tell them anything, but these promises have to be paid at some point.

The only problem is penetration and cash, tehy spend more than anybody always, but the game was always rigged we know that, it's about being smarter, something we never seem to be...

I think Labour should be pushing for the inquiry into the handling of Covid. The timing of that, and the fallout could be key. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think Labour should be pushing for the inquiry into the handling of Covid. The timing of that, and the fallout could be key. 

They have been, as have most, but they'll delay actioning as long as humanly possible as it's going to be very sober reading.

• Upvote 1

I have followed US politics closely since the mid '80's 

I think anyone trying to organize opposition to this new FrakenTory party could do with studying the vibrant and determined grassroots organizing done by progressives and minority communities in the US. What Stacey Abrams for example achieved in Georgia is incredible. I know the situations have many differences but the common theme is organizing in the face of establishment power. 

I thought the posts about Preston Council were very interesting and give an excellent example of one potential way forward.

Daily Kos is a good source of all things progressive in America. 

My point here is not to suggest that people on the left in the UK should adopt US policy views, positions or ideology. Rather to learn from the organizing strategies that have been most successful for the US left and progressives in fighting and winning against a ruthless right wing party intent on using all means possible to impose their will. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Starts on the 26th when Cummings gives evidence to the select committee.

That should be a blood bath.

Pity that didn't happen before the election on Thursday, it might have given some people food for thought.

But then again....

Just now, scottthecanuck said:

I think anyone trying to organize opposition to this new FrakenTory party could do with studying the vibrant and determined grassroots organizing done by progressives and minority communities in the US. What Stacey Abrams for example achieved in Georgia is incredible. I know the situations have many differences but the common theme is organizing in the face of establishment power. 

I thought the posts about Preston Council were very interesting and give an excellent example of one potential way forward.

My point here is not to suggest people on the left in the UK to adopt US policy views, positions or ideology. Rather to learn from the organizing strategies that have been most successful for the US left and progressives in fighting and winning against a ruthless right wing party intent on using all means possible to impose their will. 

In typical fashion Labour have just made a lot of these people redundant...

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They have been, as have most, but they'll delay actioning as long as humanly possible as it's going to be very sober reading.

That’s the call for the Tories, do it now when they are riding high and hope people forget by the next election. Or delay delay delay until after an early election. 

The only thing that will finish Johnson is senior Tories and the right wing press deciding it's time for him to go, and even then it'll just be to facilitate a quick change at the top before normal service resumes (i.e. the Tories back to 40%).

If you're pinning your hopes on a grand unmasking moment with the boomers, that translates to actual changes in voting behaviour, you're in for a long wait.

Don't do it to yourself , Bruce.

A significant portion of the country appear to think the sun shines out of his arse , and a majority of the rest have the attention span of a goldfish where politics is concerned. He fucked a bird on his family home couch and then gave her dodgy loans for her services and nobody gives a shit.

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Don't do it to yourself , Bruce.

A significant portion of the country appear to think the sun shines out of his arse , and a majority of the rest have the attention span of a goldfish where politics is concerned. He fucked a bird on his family home couch and then gave her dodgy loans for her services and nobody gives a shit.

To live without hope is to cease to live.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, scottthecanuck said:

My point here is not to suggest that people on the left in the UK should adopt US policy views, positions or ideology. Rather to learn from the organizing strategies that have been most successful for the US left and progressives in fighting and winning against a ruthless right wing party intent on using all means possible to impose their will. 

I agree , but at present Labour are going the opposite way completely in sacking their organisers , removing any power from local parties or agencies and filleting the portion of the party that tends to be at the forefront of action and organisation

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

To live without hope is to cease to live.

I'm despondent myself but then I also wonder if that's part or the plan, to make people think it's hopeless or what's the point in voting or giving a shit. 

Kind of saw it with the Johnson stuff the other week, news anchors talking to guests about his wallpaper, "nobody cares do they? Does anyone really care?" 

Then cut to a vox pop with someone saying "I don't think anyone cares."

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Duff Man is spot on , it'll be Tory grandees in back rooms if he gets the boot.

Oh, I agree, I very much doubt that he'll fight the next election.

He'll either come unstuck and be shuffled out the back door, or resign so he can go earn more money to support his every growing family and lifestyle choices.

Just reading about the guy from Hartlepool who called LBC today and explained why he voted Tory.

He said they have 9 food banks in Hartlepool which the Tories introduced. He relies on them but Labour want to get rid of them, so he voted Tory.

Fuck my life.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I think that Johnson's downfall , if at all , will come from his own side.

Of course it will.  I see no way he leads them into the next GE.  He's dodged a bullet in the locals due to them going all in on the vaccines but that won't last .