You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Country

Section_31

Yep. People always take their direction from graffiti. Maybe that's where I got my predilection for pies.

Put it on some t shirts and go round hanging them on peoples washing lines hidden amongst their other clothes, slip them in and theyll slip them on as kevin costner said in that film i cant remember whats its called was. Then.

Put it on some t shirts and go round hanging them on peoples washing lines hidden amongst their other clothes, slip them in and theyll slip them on as kevin costner said in that film i cant remember whats its called was. Then.

who will decide on the slogan though?  Who will pay for and manufacture the t-shirts?  distribute them?  I'm all in.

Screen-Shot-2015-02-06-at-14.44.31-1024x

hb7VW9y.gif

Unbelievably, Section's map was actually kind to both Labour and the Lib Dems, the actual map is below and there were actually less seats gained in the South (no seats in Essex or Kent and none in Plymouth. Labour got just three seats south of London - Exeter, a seat in Southampton and one in Brighton.

UKElection2015_DM.gif

Labour actually gained 740,807 voters on 2010 but I read that most of those extra votes came in the seats they already held, increasing majorities in already safe seats. The Tories also gained an extra 634,072, amazingly, the first incumbent government to increase their vote in their second election. It would appear they picked up most of those votes from the Lib Dems whose vote collapsed.

ukvotes15.png

I also thought this pattern of voting in Scotland over the last 50 years made interesting reading.

scotland_trend_55-15.gif

I find it mindblowing that Lib Dems would vote Tory, especially as the Tory sales pitch seemed to be 'don't vote Lib Dem, they sided with us - the cunts'. 

The majority were probably selfish relatively well-off people with kids at or approaching university age, who had been fucked roughly up the arse by Clegg.  

I find it mindblowing that Lib Dems would vote Tory, especially as the Tory sales pitch seemed to be 'don't vote Lib Dem, they sided with us - the cunts'. 

I think it was the SNP factor mate, I think a lot of people particularly in the South were scared off by the prospect of a Labour government hamstrung by the SNP, which is what most of the polls were indicating.

Im not sure they did, the lib dem vote dissipated to greens, ukip prob also labour and lastly tory.

Ukip took more votes off labour than tory.

Not having stock scots vote since the snp rise has left labour in complete crisis, they used to be able to count on a not the tory votes but now theyve gone snp. Rupert backed snp in scotland in order to leave labour fucked nationally and give the tories power.

Why is there so much blue in the North East? What's wrong with them?

That map's a bit misleading mate, the blue bit underneath Scotland is basically three seats (Berwick, Carlisle and I think Hexham). The red chunk underneath that is what is traditionally known as the North East, there are loads of seats and as you can see they're red.

I live just underneath the red chunk and my seat is pretty much the only one in this area that is Tory (cunts).

I don't think we can have any complaints to be honest. Yes the idea of a majority Tory Government isn't great, but rather than blaming 'cunts' for voting Tory, shouldn't the blame be laid firmly at the Labour party's door? They didn't offer a good enough alternative. The Lib Dems didn't campaign hard enough on what they did right in the coalition, so their vote was diluted and given to UKIP, Green and Tory.

I strongly feel that if Ed Miliband hadn't completely dismissed the idea of coalition with the SNP then they'd be in power right now.

In short, you can't blame Tory voters for voting Tory. You should be blaming the Labour party for not gaining more of the Lib Dem and SNP vote, which was fair game and on offer. The cunts.

I don't think we can have any complaints to be honest. Yes the idea of a majority Tory Government isn't great, but rather than blaming 'cunts' for voting Tory, shouldn't the blame be laid firmly at the Labour party's door? They didn't offer a good enough alternative. The Lib Dems didn't campaign hard enough on what they did right in the coalition, so their vote was diluted and given to UKIP, Green and Tory.

I strongly feel that if Ed Miliband hadn't completely dismissed the idea of coalition with the SNP then they'd be in power right now.

In short, you can't blame Tory voters for voting Tory. You should be blaming the Labour party for not gaining more of the Lib Dem and SNP vote, which was fair game and on offer. The cunts.

I think they got all the LibDem seats realistically on offer. And, then, in other Tory/LibDem seats, they took LibDem votes which let the Tories in the back door.

But I agree with you in general. Labour only have themselves to blame in England. A perfect storm ensued for the SNP in Scotland.

How does that maths work?

The reason that a lot of people voted Tory in England was to avoid giving power to the Scots. The Tories were happy that for every vote Sturgeon won the SNP she was winning two for them.

How does that maths work?

The reason that a lot of people voted Tory in England was to avoid giving power to the Scots. The Tories were happy that for every vote Sturgeon won the SNP she was winning two for them.

Perhaps I didn't explain that very well. I'm not suggesting that he actually GO into coalition with the SNP, just not dismiss the idea out of hand. More seats in Scotland that way (possibly/probably) and more votes from the Labour 'supporters' that voted elswhere, because they're then seen as doing anything to get the Tories out which is a vote winner for them.

He could have walked on water and promised everyone a rainbow in their back garden each, he wouldnt have been elected because hes Ed Milliband. And any policy pledges arent going to change this fact hes a victim not a leader. He would get bullied til he killed himself if he had to grow up where am from and no one where am from would fail to recognise it do the poor arent gonna go out and vote for someone who would be bloody nosed and mugged in their street. Can you imagine ed milliband going to lecture the fernhillers in some backboozer. Now middle class surburbanites and yheir doft arse ed millibandesklike kids might vote for him but not the working class.

You could say the same for cameron but they didnt vote for him either they tended to go ukip or not bother mostly.

Cameron won the other people over. Milliband the unions gift to murdoch.

They say a Government tends to lose the election rather than the Opposition winning it and, I think, there just wasn't a mood for change, apart from Scotland.

If somebody like Tony Blair was leading Labour... A bonafide political genius before he was utterly corrupted by power

They say a Government tends to lose the election rather than the Opposition winning it and, I think, there just wasn't a mood for change, apart from Scotland.

If somebody like Tony Blair was leading Labour... A bonafide political genius before he was utterly corrupted by power

Nar he was always a billy bullshittin power whiffing liar from the start. Murdoch put him in power for a reason and it wasnt cos he fancied going lefty for a bit.

I suppose lying and going after power like a psychopath snd prevailing is viewed as political genius mind.

This election has highlighted to me how utterly stupid and uninformed a lot of people are.  By that I mean people I have known for years that I wouldn't have expected it from and not the general idiotic public you would expect it from.  The main whinges usually found on facebook but sometimes in person and on my whatsapp mates groups:

• People who live in Liverpool whinging about other people in Liverpool voting for smaller parties and not labour "putting" the Tories in power. 
  • Dickhead scots voting SNP and handing the Tories power.
  • Miliband ruling out an SNP coalition caused the Tories to get power.
  • The SNP will stab people in the back and form a coalition with the Tories

Absolutely bewildering nonsense. 

If you live in Liverpool it doesn't matter who you vote for you are getting a Labour MP.  Your vote in the grand scheme of things means fuck all.

If Labour won every scottish seat the Tories would still have a majority.  For some reason the BBC and a lot of the press are pushing the view that the loss of seats in Scotland for Labour directly cost them the election.  It evidently didn't.  I'm not talking about the knock-on effect of people voting tory to stop a Labour/SNP coalition which I believe is what caused a lot of seats to go Tory.  The people I'm talking about are completely oblivious to this fact. 

Miliband shouldn't have ruled out an SNP coalition which has been posted in here as well is the nearly the most comically stupid thing I've heard all election.  If you couldn't see the danger of him saying anything other than a categorical no then you shouldn't be commenting on anything.

The last one was probably the most comical thing I heard.  It came after the election as well which made it even worse.

The only positive thing to happen in this election is that the lib dems have been taught a very harsh lesson about garnering left thinkers with left policies and then going into coalition with the tories.  It's near enough wiped the party out.  I can't understand why they thought it would be anything different.  They pushed a more left wing view than Labour at the last election to the point I nearly voted for them and then they ended up fucking everyone who did that over.  I don't know if they will ever come back from it but there will have been a lot of young leftish voters who voted for them who will never ever do that again.  It will take a few generations before they will be able to make any sort of comeback.

Where does politics go from here is the question?  How are Labour going to respond?  They are too right to pull back voters from Scotland and can't go any more left without scaring off the southerners.  It's going to take a catastrophe from the Tories to get them out in the next decade I think.  In my own opinion Labour need to go back to their roots.  They need to become a proper left wing party again that offers something different, wait for that catastrophe to happen, because it will, and take charge of the country.  Do it as a left wing party not a right wing party masquerading as one.  My fear is that history will repeat itself.  The tories will get in the next few times meaning labour will shift right again to get into power.  By that time the country will have had enough of the tories anyway.

• Upvote 1

This election has highlighted to me how utterly stupid and uninformed a lot of people are.  By that I mean people I have known for years that I wouldn't have expected it from and not the general idiotic public you would expect it from.  The main whinges usually found on facebook but sometimes in person and on my whatsapp mates groups:

• People who live in Liverpool whinging about other people in Liverpool voting for smaller parties and not labour "putting" the Tories in power. 
  • Dickhead scots voting SNP and handing the Tories power.
  • Miliband ruling out an SNP coalition caused the Tories to get power.
  • The SNP will stab people in the back and form a coalition with the Tories

Absolutely bewildering nonsense. 

If you live in Liverpool it doesn't matter who you vote for you are getting a Labour MP.  Your vote in the grand scheme of things means fuck all.

If Labour won every scottish seat the Tories would still have a majority.  For some reason the BBC and a lot of the press are pushing the view that the loss of seats in Scotland for Labour directly cost them the election.  It evidently didn't.  I'm not talking about the knock-on effect of people voting tory to stop a Labour/SNP coalition which I believe is what caused a lot of seats to go Tory.  The people I'm talking about are completely oblivious to this fact. 

Miliband shouldn't have ruled out an SNP coalition which has been posted in here as well is the nearly the most comically stupid thing I've heard all election.  If you couldn't see the danger of him saying anything other than a categorical no then you shouldn't be commenting on anything.

The last one was probably the most comical thing I heard.  It came after the election as well which made it even worse.

The only positive thing to happen in this election is that the lib dems have been taught a very harsh lesson about garnering left thinkers with left policies and then going into coalition with the tories.  It's near enough wiped the party out.  I can't understand why they thought it would be anything different.  They pushed a more left wing view than Labour at the last election to the point I nearly voted for them and then they ended up fucking everyone who did that over.  I don't know if they will ever come back from it but there will have been a lot of young leftish voters who voted for them who will never ever do that again.  It will take a few generations before they will be able to make any sort of comeback.

Where does politics go from here is the question?  How are Labour going to respond?  They are too right to pull back voters from Scotland and can't go any more left without scaring off the southerners.  It's going to take a catastrophe from the Tories to get them out in the next decade I think.  In my own opinion Labour need to go back to their roots.  They need to become a proper left wing party again that offers something different, wait for that catastrophe to happen, because it will, and take charge of the country.  Do it as a left wing party not a right wing party masquerading as one.  My fear is that history will repeat itself.  The tories will get in the next few times meaning labour will shift right again to get into power.  By that time the country will have had enough of the tories anyway.

Sorry mate, didn't realise we had someone on the forum that knows absolutely everything about politics, and not only that, knows how people would vote in hypothetical situations. Quite a talent.

Anyway, I didn't suggest he go into coalition but that he didn't dismiss it out of hand. Much like the Tories who didn't dismiss ANY type of coalition but simply stuck to the mantra of 'we're not getting into hypotheticals'. Non-committal, doesn't alienate any voters (in fact does the opposite) and also doesn't even give an answer... which is what politicians love. The very simple reason that they never give straight answers to questions is because it comes back to bite them in the arse. Miliband did it, and in MY opinion, it cost Labour votes. maybe not enough to win... but the seats go somewhere.

I think the Labour party did offer an alternative.

No zero hours contracts as opposed to zero hours contracts, no bedroom tax as opposed to bedroom tax for example, as well as less drastic and front loaded cuts.

The problem was these things didn't resonate because they weren't given publicity by the media, and if they were, we've been manipulated and engineered into a culture that begrudges each other absolutely everything so nobody would have given a fuck.

Only scare tactics resonated in the end, the lies - blatant lies- that Labour had ruined and would ruin the economy, that the Tories are a steady hand, and that the SNP were going to sack York.

We're a nation of slaves and mongs. Every time you go out the house you see joggers dressed like fucking Dynamo from the Running Man and fat middle aged cyclists dressed in 'Team Sky' gear, that's how easy it is to make people conform now, we're an identikit nation. 

• Upvote 2

I think the Labour party did offer an alternative.

No zero hours contracts as opposed to zero hours contracts, no bedroom tax as opposed to bedroom tax for example, as well as less drastic and front loaded cuts.

The problem was these things didn't resonate because they weren't given publicity by the media, and if they were, we've been manipulated and engineered into a culture that begrudges each other absolutely everything so nobody would have given a fuck.

Only scare tactics resonated in the end, the lies - blatant lies- that Labour had ruined and would ruin the economy, that the Tories are a steady hand, and that the SNP were going to sack York.

We're a nation of slaves and mongs. Every time you go out the house you see joggers dressed like fucking Dynamo from the Running Man and fat middle aged cyclists dressed in 'Team Sky' gear, that's how easy it is to make people conform now, we're an identikit nation. 

Not a good enough alternative though, that's my point. A few policies here and there, but actually it's status quo.