You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Think I might be in the minority who think he is a class player.He has a eye for goal and a pass and is very skillful.

But noway should he comeback,as I think he is to lightweight and his tracking/tackling is well he has none.

This league is no good for him and add on the fact he stated he dosent want to comeback should see that he never does.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO far more expansive than Lucas, Spearing in his play, similar to Meireles. From what we've seen of the new style of bombing on and getting players in the box he could be an asset.

This. Like Maxi, if we are playing in the final third Aquilani would be an asset, playing on our 18 yard line he would be shit (still won us an eye-AIDS match vs Wolves though). Work it out.

I'd welcome him back.

This league is no good for him and add on the fact he stated he dosent want to comeback should see that he never does.

He's plenty good enough I suspect.

But as you say, if he doesn't want to... then bye bye.

Kenny will work out whether that's that after a chat with him.

FAO Chris Bascombe,

I, against Chris Bascombe wishes,

would like to apologies unreservedly to him regarding my comments earlier in the thread about the Huang sale,

it was inaccurate and wide of the mark

I was asked by someone on this forum if it was okay for them to give him my phone number which I had no objection too.

Following a lengthy phone call on Sunday night (often very heated) we agreed to disagree,

in the last hour, we have again had a heated debate and like Sunday agreed to disagree.

Whilst we have contrasting views, I have to say that he's entitled to his opinions the same as am I.

I have to stress that this apology is for the comments about the Huang deal and not the "cut them some slack" article which I stand by, and Chris knows this

Fuck my ozone. Durango apologising. To Chris Bascombe.

Staggering. Absolutely staggering.

I'd welcome him back.

Me too, absolutely...

... but only if he's up for it in his head.

Torres was, hopefully, a line in the sand about players that don't want to play for the best club in the world.

Not up for it? Then do one, I say!

His injury problems seem to have been solved and he can’t have been playing that badly if he’s forced his way back into the Italian international set-up so Juve are obviously trying it on.

€16 million doesn’t seem excessive for a 26 year old current Italian international midfielder with 3 years left on his contract to me. If Juve won’t pay it I’m sure Kenny would be interested in looking at him in pre-season to see whether he’d be worth keeping. If he isn’t we can find a buyer later on in the transfer window.

I would take Spearing/Lucas over Aquilani any day of the week to be honest. We need to get what we can for him and move on. Nothing to do with the manager who signed him but the lad was just the wrong fit for us. He is just a average to decent player who has the occasional fits and starts of good games.

I think he's better than average/decent tbh. He has a bit of craft and guille that can help unlock defences (yes, i know, it's been said a million times). Great option to have in the squad. If he's up for it I think he should get a chance, would be good for both parties.

Guest the boy

€16 million doesn’t seem excessive for a 26 year old current Italian international midfielder with 3 years left on his contract to me.

Exactly; especially so when you consider the fees paid out recently for players such as Palacios, Barry and Ramires. 32 appearances this season suggests he may have turned a corner on the injury front.

He's good enough and different enough to be a valuable squad player. He's the type of squad player you need if you are serious about challenging again.

If money is so tight that the few million we'd get is an issue or his head is so wrecked that KK can't get him performing then by all means, eject.

But this thinking that we need to get rid of anyone who is not good enough for a guaranteed first place is one of the reasons why we've ended up with a weak squad that can't run the course of a season.

I think, as a couple have said, he'd be a decent squad player.

Spearing and Lucas are ace in the big games, but as has been pointed out, we sometimes struggle to unlock teams that sit behind the ball.

Those games where we have more possession and are dominant would be perfect to bring Aquilani in for. He is a good passer of the ball and he gets in and around the box.

Whether the wages would justify bringing him back is another issue, but I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if we can't get shot of him. He'd be great to have for some matches, and in others we can just play different midfielders.

For me the issue isn't whether or not he was a bad buy (I think most are in agreement he wasn't the best bit of business we've done lately). Regardless of opinions, he is our player, and should remain so unless we receive an offer that benefits the club, if we don't, then let Kenny run the rule over him and, if necessary, re-appraise our valuation of him, but until then a bad buy isn't an excuse for a bad sell.

Those mentioning squad depth are bang-on as well. I don't really give a toss if we already have someone for his position, it's the "two players for every position" (roughly speaking) approach that has served the Scum, and Chelsea under Mourinho, so well in recent years. As long as we don't start taking the piss Man City-style that's what we need.

I agree with the general thrust of Piscinin & Jonny83.

It's generally agreed that our biggest problem recently has been lack of squad depth, yet some fans just seem to want to sell everyone who isn't in our best 5 or 6 players. The obvious recent example being the ' Get rid of Kuyt for whatever we can' in January.

If Kenny is happy to sell Aquilani & has a better use for the money then great, but if he feels that he doesn't want to sell him or that nobody is offering enough money, then I would be happy to keep a talented Italian international who could be very useful in a season where we are looking to challenge on 4 or 5 fronts.

If anyone can get someone playing, it's Kenny. I doubt he will be around to do it, but if kenny thinks he can use him, then fair enough.

I am thinking along the same lines.

Then again, I also thought Joe Cole would blossom under Kenny, and he has`nt been given a sniff. Only 5 minutes here and there when 3 or more up. I think he can offer something under Kenny, but I dont see the point in keeping him as a bit part player. Pacheco can play that role if he stays.

Do you mind sharing with us when and how you established this opinion, because he's been awful for Juve this season, 32 games 2 goals 4 assists, most pre January , he barely played at us and barely kicked a ball in the 18 months before he joined us, I'm not been smart I'm just curious how you seen enough of him.

I was at the games to watch him play with my own eyes mate, don't think I missed many of his appearances he looked boss to me at times. There are plenty of foreign players who come over here and look worse with more playing time than he got who go on to be very good players!

I agree with the general thrust of Piscinin & Jonny83.

It's generally agreed that our biggest problem recently has been lack of squad depth, yet some fans just seem to want to sell everyone who isn't in our best 5 or 6 players. The obvious recent example being the ' Get rid of Kuyt for whatever we can' in January.

If Kenny is happy to sell Aquilani & has a better use for the money then great, but if he feels that he doesn't want to sell him or that nobody is offering enough money, then I would be happy to keep a talented Italian international who could be very useful in a season where we are looking to challenge on 4 or 5 fronts.

Speaking sense? That won't make you popular on here