You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Shite" albums that you really liked

DirkDiggledinho

Manic Street Preachers - "Gold Against The Soul": considered for some reason to be their weakest album, and hated by even the band, I actually thought there wasn't really a bad song on it, even if it is a little bit cheesy in parts. Sure beats stuff like "Know Your Enemy".

The Stone Roses - "Second Coming": Panned by critics simply because it wasn't like what they'd done before, it saw the band going in a completely different direction, and for me some parts of it even surpassed what they'd done on the first album.

Be here now - Oasis. Got slated that album but I really liked it and still listen to it occasionally.

That's a very good call.

I like the Seahorses - Do it Yourself & I liked Unfinished Monkey Business by ian Brown. The one I am most ashamed to admit briefly liking is Back to Bedlam. It lasted a month or so and then I listened to it stoned and it's never been the same since.

Be here now - Oasis. Got slated that album but I really liked it and still listen to it occasionally.

You have got to be kidding. I remember being in a shop somewhere and actually laughing out loud when I heard one of the songs off this (was it "All Around the World" or something?). The lyrics were sub-standard 4th Year poetry. With a children's poetry anthology in front of them. Totally embarrassing.

If I remember rightly Q gave it 4 stars. For Q to give Oasis 4 stars says it all really. When you consider that putting Oasis on the cover used to increase their circulation by about 30% you start to get the picture. If Oasis fell out with them they would lose hundreds of thousands of pounds a year. They get 5 stars for farting down a mic, so for Be Here Now to get 4, well, you work it out.

Come on, Bob.

EDIT:

It was that All Around the World. Read 'em and weep...

It's a bit early in the midnight hour for me

To go through all the things that I want to be

I don't believe in everything I see

Y'know I'm blind so why d'you disagree (??)

So take me away cos I just don't want to stay

And the lies you make me say

Are getting deeper every day

These are crazy days but they make me shine (??)

Time keeps rolling by

Heaven help us.

Edited by razor
Looked up lyrics

Tin Machine - Bowie becomes 'just' the singer in a rock band. Some great stuff on this album despite the critics hating it.

I knew mine was a Bowie one, but I just couldn't remember it earlier!

Glass Spider. I don't care what people say, it's a great album. And Absolute Beginners is a great film. There, I said it.

Time keeps rolling by

Heaven help us.

#

So now all lyrics in all songs have to make sense? I think you could probably pull 80% of songs for having abstract or seemingly non-sensical lyrics. You can slag the album all you want for over production, or lacking originality or whatever you want, but criticising the lyrics doesn't make much sense to me.

You have got to be kidding. I remember being in a shop somewhere and actually laughing out loud when I heard one of the songs off this (was it "All Around the World" or something?). The lyrics were sub-standard 4th Year poetry. With a children's poetry anthology in front of them. Totally embarrassing.

If I remember rightly Q gave it 4 stars. For Q to give Oasis 4 stars says it all really. When you consider that putting Oasis on the cover used to increase their circulation by about 30% you start to get the picture. If Oasis fell out with them they would lose hundreds of thousands of pounds a year. They get 5 stars for farting down a mic, so for Be Here Now to get 4, well, you work it out.

Come on, Bob.

EDIT:

Time keeps rolling by

Heaven help us.

I don't listen to Oasis because I want them to stimulate my intellect with clever lyrics. Digsy's dinner has dogshit lyrics but Definitely Maybe is an unbelievably brilliant album. The day I take a magazines review on how an album scores is when I stop listening to music. The album was poorly received by my mates basically and most people I ever spoke to about it, which is why I put it in this thread because I like it when most I know didn't. You don't like it for example. It's perfect for this thread.

This man speaks sense. I listen to Oasis to feel good, listen to a nice predictable melody with a bit of a rock n roll feel and swagger. If I want some deep and meanigful literature or or syncopated prose I will read fuckin shakespeare. People need to read the title of this thread.

For the purpose of this discussion I define 'shite' as 'making people's eyes glaze over at it's mention'.

How about Empire Burlesque then, universally discredited, atrocious cover, 80s production values but great songs and I am quite enamoured of it.

51NLv9Z8mQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Subterranean 7

• 1 month later...