You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Pistonbroke
37 minutes ago, No2 said:

Is it a given that the republicans have to put him forward for re-election? They could nominate anyone to beat Biden and probably get 8 years.

I was just talking to my wife about this whilst walking through the park. At what point will the Republicans say to themselves he needs to go? I'm guessing Trump is the kind of bloke who has surrounded himself with people who he has info on and is willing to bring them all down should they attempt to oust him. Maybes we'll just wake up one morning to hear that Trump has passed away peacefully in his bed dressed in a Green bay packers top and a lump of cheese shoved up his arse. 

13 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I was just talking to my wife about this whilst walking through the park. At what point will the Republicans say to themselves he needs to go? I'm guessing Trump is the kind of bloke who has surrounded himself with people who he has info on and is willing to bring them all down should they attempt to oust him. Maybes we'll just wake up one morning to hear that Trump has passed away peacefully in his bed dressed in a Green bay packers top and a lump of cheese shoved up his arse. 

He did win their primaries.

14 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Nah he's not smart enough for any chicanery like that. 

Basically the Republican party is bought and paid for. Their campaigns are financed by drug companies, oil companies, big banks, the NRA and all sorts of other shithouses, so he comes down on the right side of those arguments as far as they're concerned. He ripped up Obamacare and emboldens gun owners, he's also done away with a lot of the 'red tape' - i.e safeguards - around banking which was put in place after the financial crash. He's a battering ram who's built a blue collar army, something they've never been able to do without him. 

For all his stupidity though he's got instincts about how to work in a corrupt system, that's why he's flourished in New York real estate with so many unscrupulous people in and out of his business. That's one thing a mobster understands, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, with everything simply coming down to money and payoffs. 

The Democrats to an extent are to blame for ignoring their base for so long, but also are the working class voters who voted him in, because his unsuitability for the role - as was the fact he wasn't a 'man of the people' - were obvious for all to see. He's not a trickster, he's not smart enough, he was voted in and those responsible need to own that. I feel the same about any working class people who voted for Johnson. On both sides of the pond, this is on them. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

At what point will the Republicans say to themselves he needs to go? 

They can't pivot off him now - too late.

Here is what you would hope to hear from them:

Sen. Lindsey Graham said it's time for Republicans to rebuke presidential hopeful Donald Trump, urging his party to tell Trump to "go to hell."

"You know how you make America great again? Tell Donald Trump to go to hell," Graham said on CNN's "New Day" on Tuesday, picking up on the GOP front-runner's famous slogan, "make America great again."
"He's a race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot," Graham told Alisyn Camerota (CNN). "He doesn't represent my party. He doesn't represents the values that the men and women who wear the uniform are fighting for. ... He's the ISIL man of the year."
"What Mr. Trump is doing -- and I don't think he has a clue about anything. He's just, just trying to get his numbers up and get the biggest reaction he can," Graham said.

Ironically. he did say exactly that, unfortunately that was 4 and a half years ago.
Senator Graham was unable to comment today as his tongue was too far up that race baiting, xenophobic religious bigot's starfish.
  • Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

He did win their primaries.

How many deals were promised and more importantly how many bribes were taken. Rhetorical question. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Nah he's not smart enough for any chicanery like that. 

Basically the Republican party is bought and paid for. Their campaigns are finances by drug companies, the NRA and all sorts of other shithouses, so he comes down on the right side of those arguments as far as they're concerned. He ripped up Obamacare and emboldens gun owners. He's a battering ram who's built a blue collar army, something they've never been able to do. 

The Democrats to an extent are to blame for ignoring their base for so long, but also are the working class voters who voted him in, because his unsuitability for the role - as was the fact he wasn't a 'man of the people' - were obvious for all to see. He's not a trickster, he's not smart enough, he was voted in and those responsible need to own that. I feel the same about any working class people who voted for Johnson. On both sides of the pond, it's on them. 

Agree with the latter part of your post mate, these cunts are in power due to those who put them there. I still think Trump is the type of bloke to buy dirt on people before he employs them, so to speak. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They can't pivot off him now - too late.

Here is what you would hope to hear from them:

Sen. Lindsey Graham said it's time for Republicans to rebuke presidential hopeful Donald Trump, urging his party to tell Trump to "go to hell."

"You know how you make America great again? Tell Donald Trump to go to hell," Graham said on CNN's "New Day" on Tuesday, picking up on the GOP front-runner's famous slogan, "make America great again."
"He's a race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot," Graham told Alisyn Camerota (CNN). "He doesn't represent my party. He doesn't represents the values that the men and women who wear the uniform are fighting for. ... He's the ISIL man of the year."
"What Mr. Trump is doing -- and I don't think he has a clue about anything. He's just, just trying to get his numbers up and get the biggest reaction he can," Graham said.

Ironically. he did say exactly that, unfortunately that was 4 and a half years ago.
Senator Graham was unable to comment today as his tongue was too far up that race baiting, xenophobic religious bigot's starfish.

Makes you wonder what threats have been made, you don't go from scathing about someone in that fashion and then lick their arse unless you stand to lose a lot. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Pistonbroke

He changed his tune within a year - Trump isn't making any threats.

McConnell/Graham wield far more political power than he ever will. Neither will ever be voted out.

The only thing they fear is losing Senate majority which may happen anyway but would definitely happen if they jumped ship.

Well you know a shit load more about what is going on than I do mate. I find it strange that Trump isn't making threats as it seems to be his go to action, although as you say, American politics is made up from a lot of Senators who wield more power than the President. 

The fascinating but scary thing about the Republicans and the Tories, and the narrative is the same, is that they've had to reinvent themselves but they're becoming a genuinely dangerous threat to their own countries (as has been proven, not just with the virus but with the allegations of breaking bread with the likes of the Russians if the price is right). 

They used to rely on conservatism, i,e  the idea that the were people - usually old and rich - who wanted their version of their country kept the same. Shooting deer in Kentucky, walks along the prom in Margate, nice big house and plenty in the bank and if you're not in my club, bollocks to you. 

Now, as the middle class become more diverse and in tune to liberal ideology (the environment, opposing racism and homophobia etc - so much so that even mega corporations are chasing the social responsibility dollar) where do they go for votes?

What they've done, and done brilliantly, is they've doubled back, they've absolutely bamboozled the left and the liberals by essentially picking up a blue collar army of people, most of whom owe their bad fortunes to that very fucking party in the first place. How have they done it? With division and hate. Racism, misogynism (I read somewhere that pivoting towards misogynistic language was actually something right wing leaders had been advised to do via various studies). Their other weapons are untruth, sowing confusion, attacking the press, and rallying the support of right wing extremist views and alt news sources and social media. The more they feel their position is under threat the more they'll double down, because they have no argument, their argument has been provably lost by the sheer sight of the economic, social and spiritual ruins we walk amongst. 

Acts of civil disorder are pretty much all anyone else has until they can both be overpowered via the ballot box, which may be a painful journey to reach indeed and will almost certainly involve voter suppression, cries of conspiracy and betrayal, and anything else they've got in the playbook.