You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trump is a populist, thrives on division and fear of the Other, I still think he may benefit from the protests, if they take a more violent turn. These protests are a reaction, they don't have actual demands you can act on, so to sustain them for a longer period, they can be manipulated, redirected toward the tactics and goals of the radicals. Then all people who voted for Trump would rally around him even more in November, and they would still have the numbers.  

They may hurt him if they expose his dictatorial ambitions before enough people decide a strongman is needed, or if he continues with the baffling and the crazy and people in the middle simply turn to Biden as a return to normalcy as a response.  Or Republican establishment, what's left of it, makes some kind of stand, which is not likely.

That this will escalate and turn into some kind of revolution which will go on unopposed is a pipe dream. The best scenario is that it transforms into some kind of innocuous civil rights drive where there is a lot of empty grand standing and "taking the knee", which will further expose Trump and his allies as dangerous crazies and produce some quiet but meaningful reforms in the background, dealing with reducing police legal protection, change in policing approach and possibly education funding reform to increase quality of schooling in lower income areas.   

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, skaro said:

The US constitution was an ironical document from the moment it was penned.

I'd imagine the equality bit drew a wry smile from all the slaves and their owners.

The whole history of the country has been twisted by that mad contradiction: yes, it was founded on the principles of justice and freedom, but it was also built on genocide and slavery.

11 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

CNN claiming that the photo op was a last minute thing and Trump wanted to do it because he was "hurt" by the bunker stories. 

He's a fucking man-child. 

So to proves he's not a massive wuss who's scared of peaceful demonstrators he *checks notes* got military police to attack a bunch of peaceful demonstrators and drive them hundreds of yards away before he dared to set foot outside his own garden.

Shithouse.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The whole history of the country has been twisted by that mad contradiction: yes, it was founded on the principles of justice and freedom, but it was also built on genocide and slavery.

And stupid wasting of perfectly good tea.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I agree but I'd like to think there's a limit to what most of us would put up with to keep our jobs though, and not even our jobs but our status. For that health chief to stand there while he advocated injecting bleach for instance, if sh'ed have stood up and said 'that's a really bad idea, don't do it', what's the worst that they could have done to her? Just kicked her off the team? She still would have kept her day job, in fact the likes of Harvard and shit would have been fighting over her for her celebrity status on the lecture circuit. 

That Navy doctor who gave him his medical too, and then came out and basically spoke as though Trump had actually put the words in his mouth. 'The presidents' mental health is beautiful, he's got what I'd say is, probably the best mental health out of just about anybody, believe me.' 

It's cringeworthy and astonishing in equal measure. 

Then there's the senior Republicans who, in 2015/16 were saying, unequivocally, that he's not fit to serve.  As soon as the cunt was elected, they were lining up to work for him.

Have some fucking dignity, you shitbags.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Trump is a populist, thrives on division and fear of the Other, I still think he may benefit from the protests, if they take a more violent turn. These protests are a reaction, they don't have actual demands you can act on, so to sustain them for a longer period, they can be manipulated, redirected toward the tactics and goals of the radicals. Then all people who voted for Trump would rally around him even more in November, and they would still have the numbers.   

I strongly suspect that's what whoever authorised the police violence in Washington last night was banking on.  If the crowd had reacted violently, he could have made his "law and order" speech to a soundtrack of the brave boys in blue dealing with a vicious mob and plenty of people would have lapped it up.  Instead, the Washington protestors pissed on his chips by remaining peaceful, despite the attacks, which just underscored how dangerous and despotic the stuff he was saying was.

25 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

So really, it was based entirely on the British model it supposedly revolted against.

They just wanted to own their own patent on it.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, skaro said:

If he's the Antichrist, I want my money back on those inaccurate descriptions in Revelations.

He's not what it said on the tin.  Tinpot, more like.

"Then the beast was allowed to speak great blasphemies against God. And he was given authority to do whatever he wanted for forty-two months. And he spoke terrible words of blasphemy against God, slandering his name and his dwelling—that is, those who dwell in heaven. And the beast was allowed to wage war against God’s holy people and to conquer them. And he was given authority to rule over every tribe and people and language and nation. And all the people who belong to this world worshiped the beast. They are the ones whose names were not written in the Book of Life before the world was made—the Book that belongs to the Lamb who was slaughtered."

"The ten horns are ten kings who will come from this kingdom. After them another king will arise, different from the earlier ones; he will subdue three kings. He will speak against the Most High and oppress his saints and try to change the set times and the laws. The saints will be handed over to him for a time, times and half a time."

"For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect."

All from that fantasy novel, The Bible.

If anybody would have the inside track on the Antichrist...

43 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I strongly suspect that's what whoever authorised the police violence in Washington last night was banking on.  If the crowd had reacted violently, he could have made his "law and order" speech to a soundtrack of the brave boys in blue dealing with a vicious mob and plenty of people would have lapped it up.  Instead, the Washington protestors pissed on his chips by remaining peaceful, despite the attacks, which just underscored how dangerous and despotic the stuff he was saying was.

That was my thinking as well and there’s probably some truth to it, but I also think that if they wanted to they could have quite easily planted a few ‘troublemakers’ in the crowd to make things look worse than they were. It’s actually surprising that they didn’t. 

The US 2nd Amendment lot who demanded they need guns to protect themselves against a tyrannical government turning the army on the people, now finally have that tyrannical government turning the Army on their people, and what do they do? Support the tyrannical government, of course

• Upvote 2