You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I can sum this whole thread up below.

ma rootin scootin baby is driven me crazy 

Wheres Kansas Toto?

Ha1Uw.gif

• Upvote 1

This is unreal this one. His intelligence chiefs spoke  before congress and basically said Iran isn't much of a threat. Trump tweeted that they 'needed to go back to school' as he knew more about Iran and intelligence than they did, and perhaps maybe anybody, believe me.

He then brought them into the Oval office for this.

Screenshot_20190201-073240_Chrome.jpg

15 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Doom and gloom, but interesting.

He speaks a little about NAFTA which reminds me, don't much about it, but have always wondered: everybody seems to be complaining about it, it screwed the US, fucked up Mexico and I guess, Canada fared no better. How is this possible? Someone must have benefited. Surely if American industrial jobs went to Mexicans, Mexican workers must have benefited? Or not?

Just watched a documentary about Japan.

US has tons of bases on Okinawa which is 2100km from Toyko the missiles in the banned range of the treaty are between 500km - 5,500km. Meaning the US could have medium range tackle nuke in the range of Tokyo.

Pyongyang is also 1,500km away.

All China's and N Korea's long range (within reach of US mainland) could potentially be take out in a preemptive strike.

I can see the sense in this from a strategic defense point of view.

3 hours ago, SasaS said:

Someone must have benefited. Surely if American industrial jobs went to Mexicans, Mexican workers must have benefited? Or not?

A few dozen rich Americans and, I suppose, compared to what came before, some poor Mexicans. In much the same way that you could argue Nike is good for some people in Bangladesh.

Yes, winners and losers.

I think, though, it's a nice easy target for those who are currently on the losing end in the USA, whether NAFTA-related or not.

So it serves as a simple rallying cry for demagogues like Trump.

In the end, he didn't make major changes to it. Just a few tweaks, a new name (to put "US" "first"), and carry on as you were.

2 hours ago, Anny Road said:

Just watched a documentary about Japan.

US has tons of bases on Okinawa which is 2100km from Toyko the missiles in the banned range of the treaty are between 500km - 5,500km. Meaning the US could have medium range tackle nuke in the range of Tokyo.

Pyongyang is also 1,500km away.

All China's and N Korea's long range (within reach of US mainland) could potentially be take out in a preemptive strike.

I can see the sense in this from a strategic defense point of view.

If it makes sense from ‘a strategic defense point of view’ is that the reason the treaty was worth doing? It was a demonstration of intent. 

5 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

If it makes sense from ‘a strategic defense point of view’ is that the reason the treaty was worth doing? It was a demonstration of intent. 

The treaty was put in place so Nato couldn't nuke Russia from the East Europe Border. I believe it was all about the proposed missile defense system. Plus it was handy from the European countries involved if Russian did not develop these.

Just now, Anny Road said:

The treaty was put in place so Nato couldn't nuke Russia from the east Europe border. I believe it was all about the proposed missile defense system. Plus it was handy from the European countries involved if Russian did not develop these.

So how does breaking it make sense?