You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I remember folk saying that Obama would be assassinated, and before that, Mandela.

It just doesn't happen.

Also, am I the only person who doesn't think that Trump is especially worse than almost all of the other Republican candidates anyway? They are pretty much all rogues with vile opinions. I find it hard to get onto the Trump demonisation bandwagon.

What doesn't happen?

I think quite a few people might have over-estimated just how hopey and changey (and as such how dangerous to vested interests) a man who had Penny Pritzker as his campaign head was going to be. Others made the point that if he were anywhere near the myth he was being sold as (and tried to enact such change) it would not be surprising in the least for him to be assassinated. It's a common pitfall for popular black people who challenge the establishment. 

What doesn't happen?

I think quite a few people might have over-estimated just how hopey and changey (and as such how dangerous to vested interests) a man who had Penny Pritzker as his campaign head was going to be. Others made the point that if he were anywhere near the myth he was being sold as (and tried to enact such change) it would not be surprising in the least for him to be assassinated. It's a common pitfall for popular black people who challenge the establishment. 

Like who, BIG and Tupac? King and X happened 50 years ago.

I remember folk saying that Obama would be assassinated, and before that, Mandela.

It just doesn't happen.

Also, am I the only person who doesn't think that Trump is especially worse than almost all of the other Republican candidates anyway? They are pretty much all rogues with vile opinions. I find it hard to get onto the Trump demonisation bandwagon.

I was being a bit facetious, but would you really be surprised if that sort of thing did happen? Besides, reading this article, Sanders has even less hope for winning than I thought he had http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/11/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-election-2016-popular-vote-superdelegates?CMP=fb_gu. If the Democrat establishment screwed over Henry Wallace in 1945 to ensure Harry Truman would get the nomination, they sure as hell won't let Sanders win now.

You wouldn't be alone on the second point, they're all varying degrees of loons and the likes of Cruz is arguably an even scarier prospect than Trump. Chomsky says they're not that different as well 

• Upvote 2

What doesn't happen?

It's a common pitfall for your average black man to challenge the police as well. Or just look at them. Or just like walk down the street. Or be 12 years old. In Cleveland.

The City of Cleveland actually sent to collection agency a $500 bill for EMS services for the 12 yr old kid the Cleveland cops shot on a playground.

America? Hell, yeah!

http://gawker.com/cleveland-files-claim-against-tamir-rices-family-for-un-1758377203

Like who, BIG and Tupac? King and X happened 50 years ago.

So just the only two really powerful and popular black people to have seriously challenged the establishment in the US then?

If you want to name others on their level that I've missed then we can look at the numbers and decide if we should be looking at the throwaway usage of "common". We can maybe discuss at what point you think the secret services that tried to get MLK to kill himself suddenly became all cool with that sort of thing. Or when mental, racist, lone gunmen became extinct.

Well there is a black president.

Subtler means these days Stu.

Yep, hence why I wanted the suggestion of someone dangerous. Not someone who had their campaign run by an innovator in the sub-prime mortgage business.

"Hope and change my black brethren...oh and don't worry that you lost your house because of my campaign head".

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It just doesn't happen.

I think he isn't even particularly likely to hold half of the views he espouses.

Quote isn't working for me on this machine, but yeah Stu, that was sort of my point.  The system is rigged so that anyone who gets their voice out there and wants to get elected or whatnot has had to make so many compromises for money and air space that by the time they are in a position to do something they are already beholden to the man.

No need to assassinate anyone anymore. 

X, MLK and RFK (and JFK if you like) were of a period of time in the sixties that isn't likely to be repeated.

• Upvote 1