You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Pistonbroke

Trump's going to win.

If he does then Farage and his kippers will shoot their load, well until the inevitable happened and they started shitting their pants as World War 3 and the destruction of mankind loomed. 

He's going to walk the Republican candidacy. He's miles ahead in the polls and in the live debate the other day he overshadowed them all with his no show. It's either going to be Hilary or Sanders running against him. If it's Sanders he doesn't stand a chance. America is a conservative country, any left wing politician that talks about progressive gun control measures is dead in the water, instantly.

Hilary is the only hope, but the email thing could ruin her.

I think you are vastly under-estimating how bad Trump's numbers are in areas that he needs to win an election. He's carving out the most mental 30% of the Republican party but that isn't going to do him any favours when he then has to sell it to the rest of the country. Got a few interesting follows on Twitter that are US politics analysts and the stuff they've highlighted shows how massively toxic he is. He's got half the Republicans thinking that they dislike their own party more than they did months ago. 

Clinton will have to literally shit herself on stage to lose to him.

And why not? The public is clearly tired of a polished politician, on all sides. Hopefully it's the end of all these political advisers and PR media trainers. Farage, Corbyn, why not Trump. and Sanders? If Hillary Clinton wasn't a woman, Sanders would already be crushing her in polls.

What's the working out on that one Sasas?

To be honest, I don't reckon a lot of the people who buzz off him share his views to that degree. I think Trump and Farage have both benefited from a backlash of people being fed up of 'political correctness'. Debate and comment has been shut down for so long, some of it justifiably and some of it not, on things like sexism, racism, immigration, equal opportunities etc etc, that they've provided a voice for people who feel like they've been unable to voice opinions. The outcome has been that now there is no middle ground or moderate voice, there will be three or four people all playing their opinions safe, and one extremist saying the exact opposite of what they do. It's the same here as it is there.

For such a great poster your political views are hideous.

• Downvote 2

What's so outrageous about that view? Immigration was a forbidden subject until farage emerged and now it's open season. Blair, miliband, Cameron, clegg all had exactly the same view on it. Don't tell me those conversations weren't already happening around dinner tables.

• Upvote 1

His racism and sexism plays very well to a large slice of the Republican vote, so while they may not go there along with him, they are certainly not going to alienate potential voters by calling him out on it.

If you are going to lose anyway at least go out calling the cunt a cunt. I cant believe every single one of the nominees supports sexism and racism, May be naive but a bit of integrity might win more votes than it loses. Mind you they are probably worried about their seats in Congress so they all suck it up and leave Trump unchallenged . Makes me puke to be honest

What's so outrageous about that view? Immigration was a forbidden subject until farage emerged and now it's open season. Blair, miliband, Cameron, clegg all had exactly the same view on it. Don't tell me those conversations weren't already happening around dinner tables.

Its the debate that's going to dominate for the foreseeable,future. Whether to seal borders and let refugees rot in camps behind barbed wire. The milk of human kindness has already run dry in many parts of Europe and it will only get worse as they continue to come. Merkel is toast for opening the flood gates in Germany,    

I

If you are going to lose anyway at least go out calling the cunt a cunt. I cant believe every single one of the nominees supports sexism and racism, May be naive but a bit of integrity might win more votes than it loses. Mind you they are probably worried about their seats in Congress so they all suck it up and leave Trump unchallenged . Makes me puke to be honest

The bold bit isn't what I'm arguing, but I would say there is a difference between supporting something and turning a blind eye to it through fear of losing a section of their support. The cynic in me expects politicians to be concerned first and foremost with preserving their jobs. That can't apply in every case of course, but counter-examples are vanishingly rare.

The bold bit isn't what I'm arguing, but I would say there is a difference between supporting something and turning a blind eye to it through fear of losing a section of their support. The cynic in me expects politicians to be concerned first and foremost with preserving their jobs. That can't apply in every case of course, but counter-examples are vanishingly rare.

Indeed,

I naively thought Obama might actually make some difference in terms of social justice in the States but he's been chewed up by the Washington machine. 

I think you are vastly under-estimating how bad Trump's numbers are in areas that he needs to win an election. He's carving out the most mental 30% of the Republican party but that isn't going to do him any favours when he then has to sell it to the rest of the country. Got a few interesting follows on Twitter that are US politics analysts and the stuff they've highlighted shows how massively toxic he is. He's got half the Republicans thinking that they dislike their own party more than they did months ago. 

Clinton will have to literally shit herself on stage to lose to him.

Exactly.  

There are a substantial number of straight up racist-and-proud-of-it whackjobs on the right, but they are far from the majority.  Trump couldn't win even the Republican nomination if it were down to him and one other person.  If it were, say, him vs. Rubio and that's it, then Rubio would get 60% minimum of just the Republican votes.  And if you add in the Democrats and Independents, then Trump doesn't even break 35% against Hillary.

Trump's path to the nomination requires that all of the others split the votes among the halfway reasonable chunk of the Republican base.  I still think eventually Kasich and Bush will drop out, maybe after New Hampshire, and throw their support behind Rubio and he'll be the eventual nominee.  I hope so, at least.  The world can ill afford even the chance that someone like Trump or Cruz becomes president of the US.  Genuinely terrifying.

To be honest, I don't reckon a lot of the people who buzz off him share his views to that degree. I think Trump and Farage have both benefited from a backlash of people being fed up of 'political correctness'. Debate and comment has been shut down for so long, some of it justifiably and some of it not, on things like sexism, racism, immigration, equal opportunities etc etc, that they've provided a voice for people who feel like they've been unable to voice opinions. The outcome has been that now there is no middle ground or moderate voice, there will be three or four people all playing their opinions safe, and one extremist saying the exact opposite of what they do. It's the same here as it is there.

Spot on that.

What's the working out on that one Sasas?

The view is that she would be the first woman POTUS in history, which is a big draw for a lot of electorate. Without it, she would be seen as yet another polished politician, establishment candidate, member of an emerging  political dynasty which goes against the current zeitgeist, "Washington" etc.

The view is that she would be the first woman POTUS in history, which is a big draw for a lot of electorate. Without it, she would be seen as yet another polished politician, establishment candidate, member of an emerging  political dynasty which goes against the current zeitgeist, "Washington" etc.

I think you're vastly over-rating the zeitgiest draw for Clinton there. Sanders numbers in the polling of quite a lot of minorities is poor. In fact he's probably going to be drawing most heavily on the sort of people that you are saying are on-board with that zeitgeist. Progressives, lefties and I bet even a fair slice of feminists. Not sure that there are that many people that would be on board with that zeitgeist you are mentioning but then still vote for an establishment politician just because she is a woman.

I read today that white child poverty is running at about 30% in some states, if you can whip up support in the poor white communities that's a lot of votes.

I'd imagine they'd be votes in areas that aren't really getting you any closer to the Presidency if you're Trump?

Let's also not forget that a fair few poor, white, racists voted for Obama because they felt that they'd rather have a black person that might be barely competent to get them out of a recession than the whack-jobs offered by the Republicans. 

Hmm. Not so sure about this. I think there is an element of people that want to talk about immigration being shouted down as racist but they are far fewer than the number that were miffed that it was now socially unacceptable to voice their genuinely xenophobic or racist views in mixed company.

I think you're vastly over-rating the zeitgiest draw for Clinton there. Sanders numbers in the polling of quite a lot of minorities is poor. In fact he's probably going to be drawing most heavily on the sort of people that you are saying are on-board with that zeitgeist. Progressives, lefties and I bet even a fair slice of feminists. Not sure that there are that many people that would be on board with that zeitgeist you are mentioning but then still vote for an establishment politician just because she is a woman.

I think what I am saying is that the fact she is a woman is the only thing saving er from being seen as simply nothing more than another establishment politician.

With respect to Trump, he may start to fade as the primaries progress, Republicans have previously calculated that they cannot win the presidential race without the Hispanic vote, hence the candidacies of Cruz, Rubio, even Jeb Bush. Since Trump has successfully alienated that demographic chasing the anti-immigrant vote (his main body of support) they may realize he is essentially unelectable. Also, I'm still not sure he actually wants to go all the way.

I think what I am saying is that the fact she is a woman is the only thing saving er from being seen as simply nothing more than another establishment politician.

With respect to Trump, he may start to fade as the primaries progress, Republicans have previously calculated that they cannot win the presidential race without the Hispanic vote, hence the candidacies of Cruz, Rubio, even Jeb Bush. Since Trump has successfully alienated that demographic chasing the anti-immigrant vote (his main body of support) they may realize he is essentially unelectable. Also, I'm still not sure he actually wants to go all the way.

Would anyone that recognises or understands the term "establishment politician" not think of her as one though?