You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

5 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Has anyone checked to see if Red Shift is there? 

Oh for the good old days of people saying Hilary would be worse.  I can remember Denis, RP, RS who else was there? 

And yet 77 MILLION voted for him TWICE, actually even more this time round. Its fucking mind boggling what the cult of personality and anyone but a Democrat voters almost accomplished 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, niallers said:

And yet 77 MILLION voted for him TWICE, actually even more this time round. Its fucking mind boggling what the cult of personality and anyone but a Democrat voters almost accomplished 

Without passing judgment on the message here - no one has ever got 77 mil votes for President except our Uncle Joe.

38 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Without passing judgment on the message here - no one has ever got 77 mil votes for President except our Uncle Joe.

True but the orange cunt got more votes than any other incumbent in history. One fucked up country. Also, a big proportion of biden's votes conversely came from the anyone but trump brigade. 

1 hour ago, niallers said:

That's the bigger problem than a Trump per se.

"Protecting American Democracy" has been a common byte in recent months, but of course that also protects the right of 70+ million people, many of them nutters, to vote in a deplorable.

Those uninclined to vote in the past will need to so in numbers from now on, because it might be that the nut jobs (outgunned by postal votes in this covid election) become more determined to have their say.

The trouble with democracy, as we've seen in recent years, is that the result isn't often necessarily desirable or convenient.

It's an issue for the free world going forward, especially as election results are tighter and less decisive perhaps than in the past.

1 hour ago, niallers said:

True but the orange cunt got more votes than any other incumbent in history. One fucked up country. Also, a big proportion of biden's votes conversely came from the anyone but trump brigade. 

Ermm,, where else would they come from.

Imagine how successful he would be if they actually did come form his "brigades". 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55561536

The Trump administration is pushing ahead with the first ever sale of oil leases in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).

The giant Alaskan wilderness is home to many important species, including polar bears, caribou and wolves.

But after decades of dispute, the rights to drill for oil on about 5% of the refuge will go ahead.

Opponents have criticised the rushed nature of the sale, coming just days before President Trump's term ends.

Covering some 19 million acres (78,000 sq km) the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is often described as America's last great wilderness.

It is a critically important location for many species, including polar bears.

In the winter months, pregnant bears build dens in which to give birth.

As temperatures have risen and sea ice has become thinner, these bears have started building their dens on land.

indigenous opponentsIMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES
image captionMany indigenous groups with strong links to the ANWR have opposed oil exploration

The coastal plain of the ANWR now has the highest concentration of these dens in the state.

The refuge is also home to Porcupine caribou, one of the largest herds in the world, numbering around 200,000 animals.

In the spring, the herd moves to the coastal plain region of the ANWR as it is their preferred calving ground.

The same coastal plain is now the subject of the first ever oil lease sale in the refuge.

The push for exploration in the park has been a decades long battle between oil companies supported by the state government and environmental and indigenous opponents.

Many of Alaska's political representatives believe that drilling in the refuge could lead to another major oil find, like the one in Prudhoe Bay, just west of the ANWR.

Prudhoe Bay is the largest oil field in North America and supporters believe the ANWR shares the same geology, and potential reserves of crude oil.

Oil revenues are critical for Alaska, with every resident getting a cheque for around $1,600 every year from the state's permanent fund.

In 2017, the Trump administration's tax cutting bill contained a provision to open up the ANWR coastal plain for drilling. It was seen as a way of offsetting the costs of the tax cuts.

The US Bureau of Land Management is now selling the drilling rights to 22 tracts of land covering about one million acres. These oil and gas leases last for 10 years.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.View original tweet on Twitter

A last-minute attempt to stop the sale in the courts failed but opponents say it will not be the end of their efforts to protect the refuge from drilling.

"The Trump administration is barrelling forward without doing the careful, legally required analyses of the impacts such activity will have on the environment or the Gwich'in people who have relied on this land for millennia," said Kristen Monsell, a senior attorney at the Center for Biological Diversity, which is headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, who had sought an injunction against the sale.

"That's why we've taken them to court. We can't let Trump turn this amazing landscape into an oil field."

Reports indicate that interest in the lease sales has been low.

polar bearsIMAGE COPYRIGHTREUTERS
image captionThinning ice has seen more polar bears make their dens on land

While estimates suggest around 11 billion barrels of oil lie under the refuge, it has no roads or other infrastructure, making it a very expensive place to drill for oil.

Several large US banks have said they will not fund oil and gas exploration in the area.

There is also the matter of a change of leadership in the White House. The Biden team have nominated Deb Haaland as Secretary of the Interior. She is on record as being strongly opposed to drilling in the ANWR.

With climate change set to be a central focus for the Biden administration, it's likely that efforts to extract new fossil fuels in Alaska will be subject to review and delay.

This could ultimately limit the interest and opportunity for oil exploration in the refuge.

6 hours ago, jonnyp said:

80+ republican votes so far to pointlessly object.

Madness.

Not pointless if you are just grandstanding to harness the lunatic vote in future. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that the last vote for Pa had more objectors than the first one on Arizona before the riot.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Not pointless if you are just grandstanding to harness the lunatic vote in future. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that the last vote for Pa had more objectors than the first one on Arizona before the riot.

Totally agree on that. Who’d of thought some politicians might put their own ambitions ahead of their actual responsibilities. 

• Upvote 1

Banned from twitter permanently now, so he set up on the @POTUS account (which is passed from president to president as an official account).

Twitter shut down that one as well until Biden's inauguration. So he went to his campaign's twitter account (@TeamTrump), promptly banned. So he tried the account for the director of digital media for his campaign, @GaryCoby. 

That's now banned.

Are we sure that Code hasn't been Donald Trump all along?

ErQeVKGUYAgCOQi?format=jpg&name=large

2 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Banned from twitter permanently now, so he set up on the @POTUS account (which is passed from president to president as an official account).

Twitter shut down that one as well until Biden's inauguration. So he went to his campaign's twitter account (@TeamTrump), promptly banned. So he tried the account for the director of digital media for his campaign, @GaryCoby. 

That's now banned.

Are we sure that Code hasn't been Donald Trump all along?

ErQeVKGUYAgCOQi?format=jpg&name=large

In what world did he think Twitter wouldn't notice the DMs between him and his campaign manager arranging to switch accounts? He ... he does know that Twitter the company has access to those, right?

ErQmXiGWMAs1zvn?format=jpg&name=small

Code as well barely survived a vote of no confidence in his own party. He can also be ... assertive in his tastes. Code or Trump, you decide: Even in elementary school, I was a very assertive, aggressive kid. In the second grade I actually gave a teacher a black eye - I punched my music teacher because I didn't think he knew anything about music and I almost got expelled. I'm not proud of that, but it's clear evidence that even early on I had a tendency to stand up and make my opinions known in a very forceful way."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1