You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I know we dare not dream yet, but doesn't it feel like Trump isn't that arsed at the moment? Apparently he's not running ads in some battleground states because his campaign 'doesn't have the money', but surely he could get it if he wanted to? 

It's got a 'cut your losses' vibe about it, like a procession. 

Or he already knows the results so why bother spending wedge he could be pocketing, just because funds can’t be seen to be being spent, doesn’t mean they aren’t being raised.

On 13/10/2020 at 19:06, TheHowieLama said:

Back to Bush yes, only to point out some influential cabinet members had both expertise and were black - certainly not 40 years ago.

The reality is this is the first "social media" administration and that is why it has been able to both cause the chaos and polarize the electorate to the magnitude we see today.

Reagan was referenced, too. And again, the point is that expertise/intelligence of cabinet members doesn't guarantee good governance/improvement of people's material conditions.

• Upvote 1

Explains a lot though doesn't it? It's two different countries. If you live somewhere where you can drive for 10 hours and not see another living soul, your opinion on stuff like guns is gonna be very different from someone who lives in the suburbs of a big city.

I recently drove across Utah into Phoenix, through Monument Valley passed the Grand Canyon. It was my first trip to the US. In the UK my Sat Nav says stuff like "In 400 yards, take the first exit at the round-about then immediately left then keep right." On my drive through the US it said "Turn left in 174 miles."

Was an amazing trip though. 

• Upvote 6

Used to work with an American lad, one of the nicest, gentlest people I ever met even though he looked dead hard, like a white version of Odd Job. 

Poor bastard had come from Minesota to Speke as he'd married some bird off the internet.

He went home for a few weeks and brought some snaps back with him. Him and his entire family, including nan, were decked out in camouflage gear, including caps and combat pants and holding rifles for a day out hunting. You could see his eyes glazing over looking at the pics just wishing he was back there chasing elk of whatever the fuck.

• Upvote 1

Haha. I know what you mean.

We went into a bar. The windows had that opaque glass squares thing that some places have when they don't want you to see how bad it is inside.

One of the squares had been shot through with a gun. A sign on the window warned that firearms aren't welcome inside. Another sign said "Liberalism is a mental health condition". Everyone inside was dressed just as you have described.

We walked in looking like like Denholm Eliiot in tThe Last Crusade. "Hullo. Does anyone in here speak English...or Ancient Greek?".

There was a Karaoke going on. They all sang Tammy Wynette songs...or songs about dead dawgs...a serious Country and Western theme. My mate signed us up...to sing 500 miles by the proclaimers.    

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Used to work with an American lad, one of the nicest, gentlest people I ever met even though he looked dead hard, like a white version of Odd Job. 

Poor bastard had come from Minesota to Speke as he'd married some bird off the internet.

He went home for a few weeks and brought some snaps back with him. Him and his entire family, including nan, were decked out in camouflage gear, including caps and combat pants and holding rifles for a day out hunting. You could see his eyes glazing over looking at the pics just wishing he was back there chasing elk of whatever the fuck.

You’d get someone from a prison in Guatemala reminiscing with glazed eyes if you moved the fucker to Speke 

• Upvote 1